The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Say You Will Tour / Keyboasrdists Michael Dean & Michael Bernard (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58724)

bombaysaffires 08-21-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1253908)
I think it's vague to say she wrote the "guitar" or the "piano" for such-and-such song because that implies that she wrote the guitar or piano part(s) that we all recognize from the recording. But that's not true in the case of Landslide and Rhiannon. She wrote the lyrics and the vocal line, supplied the main chords, and accompanied herself on those demos. There's a big difference.


Not horrible. She's a great singer and performer, and many people believe a great songwriter. She is not an instrument player in any memorable sense.

I think you're confusing a couple of different things here. She did not tell Lindsey Buckingham what to play - unless you mean supplying him with the basic chords and singing the song to him so he got the feel. (A chord is a chord, and a part is a part - they're not synonymous.) She certainly didn't tell him how to play a modified Travis-style finger pick, and that's what Landslide is. She completely lacks the expertise on guitar to have arranged that part. The guitar part that we hear on the track is LB's work, not hers. In some cases, her demos may have given the rest of the band an idea of what sort of instrumental part to create. For example, the Smile at You piano from 1982 sounds like Christine playing something a little more upscale from something Stevie probably played for her - same thing with Sara. And we've already all heard about how Dreams (FM7 - G) developed when the others got their hands on her idea and fleshed it out. Even a great pianist like Bittan riffed on Stevie's simple figure on the piano - on How Still My Love, for example. But there are plenty of other occasions - Rhiannon is one of them - where the guys playing the instruments had to invent the various parts because they weren't there before.

all of which is exactly why Lindsey has said that numerous songs of her should have been properly credited as co-writes (with him).

HomerMcvie 08-21-2019 10:39 PM

But David, she just luuurrrrvvvveeeessss $tevie so much.

You can't say that about her!

Now take it back! :mad::mad::mad:



:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

secret love 08-22-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1253910)
all of which is exactly why Lindsey has said that numerous songs of her should have been properly credited as co-writes (with him).

When and where has he ever said this? He by many accounts was all too happy to give her the credit.

Also note that in the 2013 documentary, Stevie pointedly says she has gone to get guitar and piano lessons many times over the years but Lindsey and Waddy and others stopped her from going. "That gives you rules - and once you have rules, it changes how you play - and the way you play is so unique"

bombaysaffires 08-22-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1253923)
When and where has he ever said this? He by many accounts was all too happy to give her the credit.

Also note that in the 2013 documentary, Stevie pointedly says she has gone to get guitar and piano lessons many times over the years but Lindsey and Waddy and others stopped her from going. "That gives you rules - and once you have rules, it changes how you play - and the way you play is so unique"

I'll see if I can find a link to the video. He was doing a sit down interview at a college or something and was playing through various of his songs and hers and explaining what he did on each of them.

bombaysaffires 08-22-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1253908)
I think it's vague to say she wrote the "guitar" or the "piano" for such-and-such song because that implies that she wrote the guitar or piano part(s) that we all recognize from the recording. But that's not true in the case of Landslide and Rhiannon. She wrote the lyrics and the vocal line, supplied the main chords, and accompanied herself on those demos. There's a big difference.


Not horrible. She's a great singer and performer, and many people believe a great songwriter. She is not an instrument player in any memorable sense.

I think you're confusing a couple of different things here. She did not tell Lindsey Buckingham what to play - unless you mean supplying him with the basic chords and singing the song to him so he got the feel. (A chord is a chord, and a part is a part - they're not synonymous.) She certainly didn't tell him how to play a modified Travis-style finger pick, and that's what Landslide is. She completely lacks the expertise on guitar to have arranged that part. The guitar part that we hear on the track is LB's work, not hers. In some cases, her demos may have given the rest of the band an idea of what sort of instrumental part to create. For example, the Smile at You piano from 1982 sounds like Christine playing something a little more upscale from something Stevie probably played for her - same thing with Sara. And we've already all heard about how Dreams (FM7 - G) developed when the others got their hands on her idea and fleshed it out. Even a great pianist like Bittan riffed on Stevie's simple figure on the piano - on How Still My Love, for example. But there are plenty of other occasions - Rhiannon is one of them - where the guys playing the instruments had to invent the various parts because they weren't there before.


Great example from the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHoxez7QdE

he's exceedingly diplomatic about the music she brings in...."all 3 sections of the songs just doing that for 4 mins.. you need something else"

secret love 08-24-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1253925)
Great example from the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHoxez7QdE

he's exceedingly diplomatic about the music she brings in...."all 3 sections of the songs just doing that for 4 mins.. you need something else"

This is one of my songs I'm most proud of... unfortunately it is not possible in this forum to upload the piano demo, so here's the finished product:



There is a lot of production skill going into that and a measure of co-writing from the producer ... I've always done best working with other people who have more of an idea than me ...

I think it was a great musical partnership between Stevie and Lindsey. I had that with someone, too, now sadly we don't speak. I think I'm drawing parallels that aren't really there but I'm attempting to convey how much pzazz Lindsey added to Stevie's work and in turn how much she added to his projects with her vocal harmonies. It's a two way symbiosis.

Does anyone know if the guitar for Landslide drew from Stephanie (the song)?

HomerMcvie 08-24-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1253943)
This is one of my songs I'm most proud of... unfortunately it is not possible in this forum to upload the piano demo, so here's the finished product:



There is a lot of production skill going into that and a measure of co-writing from the producer ... I've always done best working with other people who have more of an idea than me ...

I think it was a great musical partnership between Stevie and Lindsey. I had that with someone, too, now sadly we don't speak. I think I'm drawing parallels that aren't really there but I'm attempting to convey how much pzazz Lindsey added to Stevie's work and in turn how much she added to his projects with her vocal harmonies. It's a two way symbiosis.

Does anyone know if the guitar for Landslide drew from Stephanie (the song)?

WHY is this in the Rumours Forum??

Chit Chat, at best. Hawk your wares elsewhere.:laugh:

secret love 08-30-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1253947)
WHY is this in the Rumours Forum??

Chit Chat, at best. Hawk your wares elsewhere.:laugh:

Answer the question in my post you've quoted, Fleetwood Mac expert, Homer McVie. Was Stephanie the guitar song by Lindsey on Buckingham Nicks the inspiration for the Landslide guitar music?

HomerMcvie 08-30-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1253994)
Answer the question in my post you've quoted, Fleetwood Mac expert, Homer McVie. Was Stephanie the guitar song by Lindsey on Buckingham Nicks the inspiration for the Landslide guitar music?

I have NO idea. I'm NOT a Buckingham Nicks expert. I've literally only listened to it a handful of times.

You rear your head about once a week, and lash out in defense of your queen.

How's that working for you? :wavey::lol::lol::lol:

Netter75 08-31-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1253997)
I have NO idea. I'm NOT a Buckingham Nicks expert. I've literally only listened to it a handful of times.

What'd you think of Buckingham Nicks?

HomerMcvie 08-31-2019 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netter75 (Post 1253998)
What'd you think of Buckingham Nicks?

It just never really caught my ear. Seemed a little too sleepy for me(honestly, it's been a good 5 years since I've even given it a play, so I'm working on some older memories here).

Should I give it another chance? That old bitter shrew is on it....:p;):p

secret love 08-31-2019 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1253999)
It just never really caught my ear. Seemed a little too sleepy for me(honestly, it's been a good 5 years since I've even given it a play, so I'm working on some older memories here).

Should I give it another chance? That old bitter shrew is on it....:p;):p

Stevie Nicks is my queen, Home McVie. Not because she de-throned Lindsey, because Lindsey was my king, by the way... but because I love her voice, her lyrics and her music.

Shrew? I've read The Taming of the Shrew and if you haven't read it or seen the play or a movie, you really should. 10 Things I Hate About You also suffices as it is an adaptation of the Shakespeare. Now Katherina was a shrew. Stevie is not. Stevie Nicks is love personified. She can be quite haughty, sure. She said in a 60 Minutes Australia interview for her last solo tour that she can be really scary. So she is aware of it...

but she loves Lindsey, in her heart of hearts, Christine wrote to Lindsey in her email after the court settlement... "Christine wrote that, she believes, in her her heart of hearts, Stevie wants you [Lindsey] to come home".

secret love 08-31-2019 02:00 AM

Homer McVie, you really take a dim view of Stephanie Lynn Nicks.

It is quite sad and pathetic, to be honest.

Stevie is forced to talk about Lindsey during every single tour press interview for the "An Evening with Fleetwood Mac" Tour.

If you watched any of those interviews with her - and I am guessing you don't - she is more than complimentary to him. She is appreciative of their shared legacy and the help he gave to her but she says (in her own words) that the situation had become intractable and couldn't be worked out other than by him or herself leaving.

FuzzyPlum 08-31-2019 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1254002)
Homer McVie, you really take a dim view of Stephanie Lynn Nicks.

It is quite sad and pathetic, to be honest.

Stevie is forced to talk about Lindsey during every single tour press interview for the "An Evening with Fleetwood Mac" Tour.

If you watched any of those interviews with her - and I am guessing you don't - she is more than complimentary to him. She is appreciative of their shared legacy and the help he gave to her but she says (in her own words) that the situation had become intractable and couldn't be worked out other than by him or herself leaving.

I don't think most 'normal' people would have felt that way. However, assuming it was that bad for her then the right, noble and honorable thing to do would have been for her to leave. That she said 'he has to leave' is sh!t.

HomerMcvie 08-31-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1254002)
Homer McVie, you really take a dim view of Stephanie Lynn Nicks.

It is quite sad and pathetic, to be honest.

Stevie is forced to talk about Lindsey during every single tour press interview for the "An Evening with Fleetwood Mac" Tour.

If you watched any of those interviews with her - and I am guessing you don't - she is more than complimentary to him. She is appreciative of their shared legacy and the help he gave to her but she says (in her own words) that the situation had become intractable and couldn't be worked out other than by him or herself leaving.

No sh*t, Sherlock.

Nobody asked you.

I wouldn't know. I have zero interest in this incarnation of the band.

Zero f*cks given.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved