The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Favorite Christine solo album (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58841)

Villavic 01-23-2020 09:42 PM

Favorite Christine solo album

Is this poll already posted? Hope not, I didn't find it (if exists, is it me or the search option is not that effective?).

I was going to include just the 2 Christine McVie sol albums, but I've included the Christine Perfect 1970 album. Now, I never got that actual album but I think the Complete (Christine Perfect) Blue Horizon Sessions I found in iTunes is almost the same. So, let's go.

HomerMcvie 01-24-2020 01:00 AM

I voted 1984, but it's almost a tie with 2004.

I love them for different reasons. 1984 is probably a stronger album, but 2004 is(was) my heroine returning to the music business.

Macfan4life 01-24-2020 04:03 AM

There was a similar thread a few years ago. It was a toss up for me too. I first gave the edge to 1984 but then changed my vote to 2004. In 1984, I loved how Chris brought someone else in to influence and write some of her songs. Some of the album almost sounds country (Love will show us how, so excited, I'm the one). It sounded so different that I liked that dare. Looking back however, I wish Chris would have stuck with her own formula. I think the 2004 album is more organic and purified product. They are all her songs and there is no padding. Each song is a treasure and you can tell the album was not rushed. Every little detail on the songs come through.

Chris never has any dud songs so that is why its so hard to pick. Even her least favorite songs of mine are still solid great songs.

One thing about the 1984 album that is so great is that it holds up. She did not embrace the cheezy 1984 sound at the time and the album still sounds fresh today.

Villavic 01-24-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1255912)
One thing about the 1984 album that is so great is that it holds up. She did not embrace the cheezy 1984 sound at the time and the album still sounds fresh today.

Lindsey kind of did it, didn't he?

cbBen 01-24-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1255914)

I'm probably one of the few Lindsey fans here who dislikes the Go Insane album. I like "Slow Dancing" but, especially after hearing the live acoustic version of the title track, I feel that–production aside–the tempo of the album version really doesn't suit the song.

And no, I don't like all that synth.

Tango is my idea of '80's-style production that works.

Macfan4life 01-24-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1255914)

Lindsey always embraced new wave stuff. As he calls himself a "painter" and artist. Even though he is a guitarist, he is more about the entire song than just the guitar parts. Part of me always got irked by that because my favorite Lindsey songs always had heavy guitar parts by him.
Yes, Go Insane is very 1984 and Tango is very 1987 which loses my appeal. Go Insane has my all time favorite Lindsey tune: Loving Cup.

aleuzzi 01-24-2020 11:37 AM

IN THE MEANTIME all the way. It lacks the band presence that the 1984 album has but here the songs are more original and spacey so they allow her room to stretch vowels in that way she has.

The 1984 album has "One in a Million" and "Smile"--both of which are superior to most of the work on ITM but nothing on the 1984 album has "Giving it Back," "Forgiveness," "Anything is Possible," "Bad Journey," or "Friend."

Neither of those albums have "I Want You"--which is pure late-sixties gold.

jbrownsjr 01-24-2020 03:33 PM

What Tony said. kudos for bringing up I Want You. I love the Legendary Christine Perfect album.

Also add that her voice is nice and smokey on ITM. There's a very nice flavor to it, like a smooth bourbon. I hear it in songs like So Sincere, Bad Journey, Calumy, etc.

I love when Christine sing/talks thru some of the verses. Her voice is beautiful and unique.

BLY 01-24-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1255908)
I voted 1984, but it's almost a tie with 2004.

I love them for different reasons. 1984 is probably a stronger album, but 2004 is(was) my heroine returning to the music business.

Yes I agree the 1984 album is much stronger and the production is much better than ITMT. ALL of the tracks are amazing on ITMT but lacks polish. IMO.

HomerMcvie 01-24-2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1255933)
Yes I agree the 1984 album is much stronger and the production is much better than ITMT. ALL of the tracks are amazing on ITMT but lacks polish. IMO.

Well, she was a hit song maker back then, so I think it was more designed for main stream radio. 2 hits off it wasn't bad.

There's little chance that any of these dinosaurs could have a hit in this century, so I think ITMT is just a release for her. Why spend a hundred thousand on production, when there's little chance of a hit? As long as it sounds like a decent effort....

David 01-27-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1255912)
I think the 2004 album is more organic and purified product.

Good way to put it.

I voted Legendary CP. It’s a collection of fantastic memories for me. When I reach back into the early Fleetwood Mac days, it enriches and deepens the more contemporary hit songs by giving them an emotional foundation. Listening to Before the Beginning, for example, deepens the sheen on the band’s work in the eighties. The polar-opposite variety turns the group story into an epic.

SteveMacD 01-28-2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1255993)
Good way to put it.

I voted Legendary CP. It’s a collection of fantastic memories for me. When I reach back into the early Fleetwood Mac days, it enriches and deepens the more contemporary hit songs by giving them an emotional foundation. Listening to Before the Beginning, for example, deepens the sheen on the band’s work in the eighties. The polar-opposite variety turns the group story into an epic.

If one were to listen to the first two Chicken Shack albums and the CP album, it’s easy to hear how her music paralleled what was going on in Fleetwood Mac (which makes sense, given her intimate proximity to the band).

jbrownsjr 01-28-2020 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1256008)
If one were to listen to the first two Chicken Shack albums and the CP album, it’s easy to hear how her music paralleled what was going on in Fleetwood Mac (which makes sense, given her intimate proximity to the band).

I've always thought the same thing. It's as if it were suppose to happen. And the transition from CS, to CP album, to Fleetwood Mac is like 1, 2, 3. Just the most of natural progressions.

BigAl84 01-29-2020 01:39 PM

My favorite album of hers is:

"In the meantime...I'll be a spineless idiot and drive the bus over a band member that bent over backward for me"

Carry on...

aleuzzi 01-29-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1256008)

Yes. The first two albums by both groups are squarely rooted in the blues and have a conservative take on that genre. Interestingly, both groups approached their second albums as an occasion of laughs. MR. WONDERFUL is full of raucous carousing with the occasional somber moment. Christine's piano on the Green compositions (1/2 the album) further tie the two groups together, though I would argue that her work on WONDERFUL surpasses either of the first two CS records because the surrounding band is much stronger. In CS, Christine and Steve Webb were the instrumental stars--and even then Webb was no Green or Kirwan. The support system was comparatively lackluster. Webb's guitar prowess was considerable but he was a genuine goofball sans Jeremy-Spencer sex pranks.

Webb's jokes on OK KEN were tiresome and intrusive. I was glad Blue Horizon reissued the albums in the collected package without the speeches and voices.