The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone here who still really likes Stevie Nicks? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58393)

AncientQueen 12-06-2018 01:02 PM

Anyone here who still really likes Stevie Nicks?

I was shocked and angry when FM threw out Lindsey Buckingham. I'm not on board with the 2 new guys. I also think that the live shows kinda suck, some of the songs miss energy and spirit. But still - when I see photos or fanvids, she is still the Stevie Nicks I followed since 1979, and I still love her, it is like it is.

I also have the following points to make:

- Stevie has not made her dislike of Lindsey a secret in the last years, it was clear that she wouldn't want to work with him, plus - she has always been the one who had to deal with the most aggression from Lindsey. I'm actually more angry with every other member of the band what happened. Stevie was at least kinda honest about the band-problems.

- She is a great entertainer, her voice may be toast, but her ability to shine on-stage is still there.

- We don't know what happened, it'S possible that stevie has lost all contact to reality, but it is also quite possible, that Lindsey did something noone wants to talk about and that it was a whole-band-decision after all. I can't see why the benefit of the doubt works in Lindseys favour only.

- IF Stevie flexed her muscle, set an ultimatum and got what she wanted, she now DEALS WITH IT. She IS center of attention and carries the show, carries FM now and she does it well, much better than I anticipated. She works hard for her band now, I missed that during OWTS. For me, it is much more fun to see a happy Stevie who actually cares about being onstage with FM for a change.

- FM is a band fronted by two women and that is only fair, given the success of Christines and Stevies contributions.

- The raging misogyny here and elsewhere makes me really root for Stevie. The whole "How dare she, she is just a woman", "goat" and far worse, things people should really be ashamed of is so telling and says much more about the contributing "fans" than about Stevies abilites.

So, since the "who dislikes Stevie" thread is such a success, maybe some people would like to contribute here, creating a positive place for a change.

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 01:06 PM

Why didn't you just post this in the other thread?

The thread intended for this topic.:shrug:

AncientQueen 12-06-2018 01:12 PM

Nope. The other thread is for the opposite topic.
Are you a moderator now? Just asking...

aleuzzi 12-06-2018 01:23 PM

Her celebrity is a hard pill to swallow these days. I am impressed by her drive to keep alive in the public eye. And she still belts and she still tells funny stories. She is, in a word, entertaining.

But her refusal to record new music with the band, her flimsy reasons for not recording new music with the band, her use of her celebrity as a weapon, and her inability to forgive and forget past traumas (whatever they might be) are both disappointing and sad. I feel more pity for her than anger. If she does get the RRHOF induction, it still won't be enough for her. Something is broken inside. Or, in her own words, "something in [her] heart died last night..."

jbrownsjr 12-06-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1245106)
Her celebrity is a hard pill to swallow these days. I am impressed by her drive to keep alive in the public eye. And she still belts and she still tells funny stories. She is, in a word, entertaining.

But her refusal to record new music with the band, her flimsy reasons for not recording new music with the band, her use of her celebrity as a weapon, and her inability to forgive and forget past traumas (whatever they might be) are both disappointing and sad. I feel more pity for her than anger. If she does get the RRHOF induction, it still won't be enough for her. Something is broken inside. Or, in her own words, "something in [her] heart died last night..."

Just more conceit from an already broken heart.

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1245105)
Nope. The other thread is for the opposite topic.
Are you a moderator now? Just asking...

I'm usually on a computer, but on my phone right now. Saw it as the same. Sorry.

Are you a moderator now?

jbrownsjr 12-06-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1245109)
I'm usually on a computer, but on my phone right now. Saw it as the same. Sorry.

Are you a moderator now?

You rang???????

HomerMcvie 12-06-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1245110)
You rang???????

It's the new hip question to ask.

cbBen 12-06-2018 02:48 PM

I still like her music.

As for personally, I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt and presume the best. As I said elsewhere, my main issue is with the band for carrying on without Lindsey.

sodascouts 12-06-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1245100)
The raging misogyny here and elsewhere makes me really root for Stevie. The whole "How dare she, she is just a woman"

Where was this said?!

You present it as a common theme, repeated often by those who criticize her; I can't remember it being said - in any form - even once. I haven't even seen it "elsewhere" (assuming you mean fan groups on social media) and while I'm sure there are some who say this because misogynists exist, it is hardly "raging" whenever this is discussed.

Believe me, I wouldn't have stood for such talk.

All your other points are fair, but this one is a misrepresentation.

Buster 12-06-2018 03:29 PM

I really like Stevie Nicks.

Her music has been an integral part of my life from childhood to well over middle age.

Her songs pierce my heart more than anyone.

She has been generous charities (could be more though) and supports the troops.

She’s timeless and one of the greatest living singer-songwriters.

I respect her decisions, including not to record with FM.

I don’t like how she and the band handled Lindsey’s firing.

I would never see FM but I would see her solo again in a heartbeat.

AncientQueen 12-06-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1245115)
Believe me, I wouldn't have stood for such talk.
All your other points are fair, but this one is a misrepresentation.

Where have you been since February? Not here for sure.

sodascouts 12-06-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1245119)
Where have you been since February? Not here for sure.

Link me to one post that says "how dare she, she's just a woman", or something akin to that.

Since it apparently happens so often, it shouldn't take you to long to find it.

jmn3 12-06-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1245120)
Link me to one post that says "how dare she, she's just a woman", or something akin to that.

Since it apparently happens so often, it shouldn't take you to long to find it.

Seriously I’ve not seen this either. I dislike Stevie and her recent actions for a variety of reasons. Not one of them has to do with her gender. Quite honestly, if Lindsey had done the same exact thing to her, I would be just as appalled at him.

aleuzzi 12-06-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1245108)
Just more conceit from an already broken heart.

"There is my fame--and it can be guarded..."