The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LP collectors? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25058)

MoonChilde 01-21-2006 11:06 PM

LP collectors?

Does anyone collect Lps? was wondering because I was in a shop today that had a few of the old FM albums with orginal members and also Kiln House and Micks the Visitor,, good prices too, at least I think..wish I had a turntable ..I miss playing music that way..

Lala 01-22-2006 12:57 AM

I guess I'm a bit of one. Not as hard core as I'm sure some other people on this board are. But I finally got a working brand new turn table for Christmas which I am really enjoying. I went to a record store and bought all of the BN era stuff on vinyl. I'll go back once I have some money (I spent $200 there and at other places that day on FM and other artists) and get the earlier stuff, most of which I haven't heard before. I'm definitely on the prowl for a reasonably priced copy of Buckingham Nicks. I don't have a credit card so I can't shop on ebay, so that's a little limiting right now.

Buy Tusk on vinyl if only to stare at the album art. No CD re-issue will ever do those weird mural things justice. Plus it has my favourite FM picture:
http://tinypic.com/mbqt8z.jpg

I bought The Visitor that day. I listened to it once but I remember liking it.

77Rumours77 01-22-2006 01:14 AM

Yes! You have found one!
I just got Buckingham Nicks yesterday on vinyl! I am in such awe! It's great
I have all the Fleetwood Mac LP's from Bare Trees to Behind The Mask.
Same with Stevie Nicks! I love collecting vinyl! Its a great hobby!
glad there are other LP junkies here! :]

seeker007nmss 01-22-2006 01:28 AM

Yup! I have tons. (Only thing there was besides 8-tracks when I started collecting) :nod:

Jyqm 01-22-2006 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lala
Buy Tusk on vinyl if only to stare at the album art. No CD re-issue will ever do those weird mural things justice. Plus it has my favourite FM picture:

Tusk truly is a treat, for the art, and the photos, and the artsy photos. That group photo is my favorite too. Just sitting down with the album and pulling out all the different sleeves is tons o' fun.

Rumours is also very nice, if you pick up a copy with the lyrics sheet that has that photo collage on the back. Some great pictures of everyone in there, including a really beautiful photo of Stevie.

Mystery to Me and Law and Order are also two albums whose artwork is much better appreciated with a vinyl copy. You can see the details of Lindsey's Polaroid art quite a bit better, and you can get idea of just how big that ugly monkey really is.

Is Buckingham Nicks really such a difficult find these days? I'm pretty sure I've got a copy at home - not the original pressing but the 1977 reissue - that I found maybe seven or eight years back, and I don't recall paying all that much for it. I think I saw several copies in a number of used record stores, actually.

I know Vintage Vinyl in Evanston, Illinois has a copy, along with a bunch of other Mac and related LPs. Over-priced of course, as everything there is except for some of the posters in the basement.

macfan 57 01-22-2006 06:37 AM

I love LPs. I have all of the Fleetwood Mac albums on vinyl from Kiln House to Behind The Mask. I also have 2 copies each of Christine's first 2 solo albums. I love the artwork, especially. Those tiny CD booklets can't compare with the artwork from LPs. Some of my favorites:

Christine Perfect-UK version(Cover picture perfectly fits the mood of the album.)
Kiln House(Christine's cover drawing is terrific.)
Penguin(fantastic picture of the band on the inside gatefold cover)
Mystery To Me(Very cool cover & my favorite Fleetwood Mac picture of the band on the inside gatefold cover)
Rumours(elegant cover & great photo insert)
Tusk(I don't much care for the cover, but the inner sleeve artwork is fantastic.)
Christine McVie(very classy cover picture)

I also actually play the vinyl too. Mirage even sounds better on vinyl than on CD.

Angelick Witch 01-22-2006 06:51 AM

I _adore_ LPs. Mostly for the pictures, which you can actually _see_ with them, unlike CDs, or God help us, tapes. I only had Mirage on tape for ages, and it was impossible to see properly.

I wasn't able to buy any until recently, though, because I couldn't find them anywhere, and I didn't have a credit card, but I got a voucher card thing for my birthday and immediately bought Rumours, Tango and Mirage on LP. Mirage is by far my favourite cover. I just want a giant poster of that on my wall now!

Now all I have to do is get my record player working again...

ThePenguin 01-22-2006 09:26 AM

I have a huge FM record collection, just about everything ever released, doubles and triples of some stuff, solo stuff also. and whenever i trek into NYC I still pore thru the little record shops and look for stuff I don't have. and I play them on my turntable too! :-)

-Lis

bretonbanquet 01-22-2006 11:03 AM

I've also got tons of vinyl :D I mainly go for singles when it comes to FM, but I've got plenty of LPs too. I think the band photo in the gatefold of 'Mystery To Me' is best viewed in big LP mode - such a cool pic.

I'm still playing vinyl copies of certain albums in the vain hope that expanded CDs will be released... I don't want to buy CDs of Mirage or TITN only for the expanded CDs to be announced the following day :lol:

One of the rarest LPs I know of, apart from original copies of the first two Green-era LPs, is the very first issue of 'Kiln House', with the booklet/photos etc. When it comes up on eBay it always goes for up to $50 :shocked:

ThePenguin 01-22-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
One of the rarest LPs I know of, apart from original copies of the first two Green-era LPs, is the very first issue of 'Kiln House', with the booklet/photos etc. When it comes up on eBay it always goes for up to $50 :shocked:

What's in the booklet? and there are photos?! I don't think I've ever seen that.....
-Lis

macfan 57 01-22-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bretonbanquet

I've never heard of this. There's no booklet with my copy. bretonbanquet, do you have this issue with the booklet?

Lala 01-22-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
I also actually play the vinyl too. Mirage even sounds better on vinyl than on CD.

Yeah I was blown away by how much of a bigger, richer sound the Mirage vinyl has. Even the songs I don't really like (ie. Empire State) sounded a little bit better.

golddustwoman77 01-22-2006 12:05 PM

I'm a HUGE vinyl collector! I love the sound of vinyl. It is so warm and real. It is the best music medium in my opinion. I have the entire Fleetwood Mac catalog on vinyl, except for The Dance and Say You Will which I don't believe were released on vinyl. I also have all of their solo stuff on vinyl, except for Out of the Cradle which I have been looking for. I also have a lot of rare Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, and Mick Fleetwood's Zoo radio shows and concerts on vinyl. Want great sound: audiophile Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Mirage. OMG, the sound from them----amazing!

I have a NAD weighted turntable to play them on, which I love.

What can I say; I'm vinyl crazy. :]

MoonChilde 01-23-2006 07:59 AM

Man after reading these posts..It really makes me want to go out and get a turntable..I love the art on the old records..its so true cds don;t come close ..I remember sitting for hours going over my lps and the covers..Back in the day,,,my brother was overseas(Vietnam etc) and he used to send me so many albums ..he would pay 25cents per album..I had quite a collection..the only difference from the ones he bought and the state sides one was that the covers were not hard covers..more like a paper..but everything else the same..How I wish I still had that collection..sighhhh

Mr. Wonderful 01-23-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
Yes! You have found one!
I just got Buckingham Nicks yesterday on vinyl! I am in such awe! It's great
I have all the Fleetwood Mac LP's from Bare Trees to Behind The Mask.
Same with Stevie Nicks! I love collecting vinyl! Its a great hobby!
glad there are other LP junkies here! :]

I'm a bit of a vinyl nut too! I got three different pressings of BN within about 2 months of each other. I have a New Zealand pressing, a US pressing, a German pressing* and a version with an alternate Australasian cover, with the title in a fancy script on a plain white background... (here's a pic from someone's site)

*The german one was released about a year after the initial release, and it sounds awesome.

--Hugh.