The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hunting, Meat & Animal Control (relocated thread) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54886)

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1159152)
The mountain lion is at the top of the food chain it's population needs to be controlled. State and local conservation departments issue "Hunting permits" based on population numbers so as long as he met basic requirements and had the necessary permits then Kid Rock was well with in the law to go hunting and harvest an animal.

I understand that in that specific area the population of the Puma is too high, but since the entire species of the mountain lion is endangered as there are only 30.000 units in the entire American continent, and a subspecies even has less than 100 specimen, a better solution could be their relocation to an area in which their number is sparse.
As I previously said where I live there was a similar problem with boars, but they were threatening for the man and the harvests and they aren't an endangered species.

PenguinHead 01-26-2015 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 1158803)
Poor mountain lion; this disgusts me and makes me wish Stevie was never associated to him.

I hate that I saw this photo. Very disturbing.

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead (Post 1159202)
I hate that I saw this photo. Very disturbing.

I didn't think about sensitive people that might have problems in seeing this, should I edit the photo out?
In my opinion the most disgusting thing is not the corpse itself, and that is very disturbing, but the joyful and proud faces of the two men standing boasting of it.

Danielle 01-26-2015 10:10 AM

Because I live in a country where the few species of big cats we have are close to being extinguished, I have a hard time grasping the "population control" practice. There ought to be other ways, even if less "practical" and more expensive.

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 1159215)
Because I live in a country where the few species of big cats we have are close to being extinguished, I have a hard time grasping the "population control" practice. There ought to be other ways, even if less "practical" and more expensive.

I totally agree, that' a too easy solution. I don't demand that hunting should be totally made illegal but it should be the last option.

BlueDenimLamp 01-26-2015 11:31 AM

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6616433e.png

The United States is a BIG country and animal populations need to be controlled. In NY State (my state)alone 243,000 deer were harvested by hunters in 2013 NYS deer report

You may not like the practice of animal control but the people I know a that have been in car accidents and had their vehicles ruined because a deer jumped in front of their car think otherwise . If populations are not controlled the problem only gets worse.

And yes people do eat what they shoot. The neighbor has a freezer full of venison (deer meat).

Jondalar 01-26-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1159225)

The United States is a BIG country and animal populations need to be controlled. In NY State (my state)alone 243,000 deer were harvested by hunters in 2013 NYS deer report

You may not like the practice of animal control but the people I know a that have been in car accidents and had their vehicles ruined because a deer jumped in front of their car think otherwise . If populations are not controlled the problem only gets worse.

And yes people do eat what they shoot. The neighbor has a freezer full of venison (deer meat).

and humans need to practice population control by using birth control - the real animals that are out of control are humans

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Harvesting is not the only kind of control, I can assure you.
I also had a car accident involving caused by a roe deer but it wasn't certainly its fault and I wouldn't want to permit harvesting to prevent it happening again but my district fenced the green area and now everyone's fine.
I eat boar, but I don't think anyone would dare eat a Puma.
I didn't want to trasform this thread in an activists battle, so I think I'll stop responding now, and I invite others to do so as well.

BlueDenimLamp 01-26-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1159228)
Harvesting is not the only kind of control, I can assure you.
I also had a car accident involving caused by a roe deer but it wasn't certainly its fault and I wouldn't want to permit harvesting to prevent it happening again but my district fenced the green area and now everyone's fine.
I eat boar, but I don't think anyone would dare eat a Puma.
I didn't want to trasform this thread in an activists battle, so I think I'll stop responding now.

An Agoura Hills resident has said a mountain lion killed four of his pet goats. From NBC News at 11 on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2015 (Published Friday, Jan 16, 2015)

A mountain lion captured on surveillance camera video killed four pet goats at an Agour Hills home, according to the homeowner.

Jack Gill handed over surveillance video that shows the big cat in the front yard of his home near Paramount Ranch last month. The attack occured just after midnight on Dec. 29 when he was away from his 11-acre property on Cornell Road.

Gill said he has lived there for 26 years and never seen a mountain lion, and he believes the cat got in through a 6-foot chain-link fence.

He said he found three of his pygymy goats with bite wounds in their necks, while another was apparently taken off the property. He said he found goat hair on top of the fence.

Mountain lions are not endangered in California, but they are a species of concern.

It is estimated there are 10 to 15 mountain lions roaming in the Santa Monica Mountains, and residents are advised to take precautions to protect livestock and pets.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...288796681.html

While Mountain lions are beautiful creatures they are also very dangerous.
This is why people can't leave their pets in the back yard. Even in Stevie's neighbor hood.

DauphineMarie 01-26-2015 12:25 PM

What I don't get, is that so many are willing to go to the market and buy meat which is brutally, mercilessly slaughtered after they have endured months and years of torture in sometimes but have problems with hunting, which, though insensitive in some cases, is mostly swift and painless.

Other than that, I think most of Stevie's fan base are also Fleetwood Mac fans, and probably want some new/interesting material.. It's been 12 years, and how many "greatest hits tours" later?? I think people just don't want the same stale setlist, media coverage, and the like.

SisterNightroad 01-26-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DauphineMarie (Post 1159232)
What I don't get, is that so many are willing to go to the market and buy meat which is brutally, mercilessly slaughtered after they have endured months and years of torture in sometimes but have problems with hunting, which, though insensitive in some cases, is mostly swift and painless.

Other than that, I think most of Stevie's fan base are also Fleetwood Mac fans, and probably want some new/interesting material.. It's been 12 years, and how many "greatest hits tours" later?? I think people just don't want the same stale setlist, media coverage, and the like.

It's true, I only eat my grandma's products and meat that has the biologic certificate for this reason.
By the way, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie has always had the tendency to play safe with their setlist and unlike other acts I saw live, like Aerosmith, they don't change their setlist between shows.

Danielle 01-26-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DauphineMarie (Post 1159232)

I agree. Meat/dairy industry is usually way more cruel than hunting.
I've been a vegetarian for almost a decade now and I'm trying to do the transition to veganism but it's not that easy. :/

KarmaContestant 01-26-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Maybe if trophy hunters would stop killing predators that keep deer in check, there wouldn't be so many of them. The cause of the problem is not the solution to the problem. Cougars and wolves eat deer; of course, when all the cougars and wolves are killed for strip malls and subdivisions... No one eats wolves or cougars.

SisterNightroad 01-27-2015 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1159280)
Maybe if trophy hunters would stop killing predators that keep deer in check, there wouldn't be so many of them. The cause of the problem is not the solution to the problem. Cougars and wolves eat deer; of course, when all the cougars and wolves are killed for strip malls and subdivisions... No one eats wolves or cougars.

http://www.f150forum.com/attachments...1915490418.jpg

David 02-01-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1159205)
I didn't think about sensitive people that might have problems in seeing this, should I edit the photo out?

Let's hope we don't start seeing trigger warnings on the Ledge. If sensitive people are especially squeamish and they see a thread with the subject "Hunting & Meat," how about they take matters into their own hands and move on to the next thread? It's easy to take care of yourself—with a little practice! (Too many people these days want someone to tie their shoes for them.)