The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Philanthropic Efforts of Each Member (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57131)

Netter75 04-30-2017 09:54 AM

Philanthropic Efforts of Each Member

After reading another thread and seeing the topic of philanthropy come up in relation to Chris it got me thinking... outside of one or two incidents I've never really heard about any of the members being especially involved in charitable functions.

I'm sure I'm just uninformed and that each member has done plenty of publicly charitable things through their lifetime, so if you know of any can you list them here?

I'm mostly referring to Chris, Mick, Stevie, Lindsey, and John here but any of the others would be interesting to hear about as well.

lbfan 04-30-2017 10:03 AM

Stevie

I recall that Stevie donated the proceeds from one of her songs (Sara or Beautiful Child) to a cause (healthcare related). I remember seeing it on television after Tusk came out (part of a concert, perhaps a clip from the news or "magazine" news show like Entertainment Tonight), but that was over 37 years ago.

FuzzyPlum 04-30-2017 10:12 AM

Mick's given a lot to the National Drug Dealers' Association of America.
John's given a lot of his time and money in support of the International Alcohol Industry.

HomerMcvie 04-30-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1208591)
Mick's given a lot to the National Drug Dealers' Association of America.
John's given a lot of his time and money in support of the International Alcohol Industry.

That's what I was thinking. They're not exactly giving people...:lol:

Wasn't Stevie's, that she gave the royalties from one song to....her Mom? I can't remember exactly WHO she gave them to...

elle 04-30-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1208593)
That's what I was thinking. They're not exactly giving people...:lol:

Wasn't Stevie's, that she gave the royalties from one song to....her Mom? I can't remember exactly WHO she gave them to...

to be fair, i think Stevie supports many charities and has many causes she donates to. weren't her concerts in Phoenix one large donation to benefit AHI?

while Stevie seems to do the most of them publicly known, it looks like Christine has suppoerted various disease causes, and as far as we know LB and family support various art education causes.

lbfan 04-30-2017 10:39 AM

Ahi

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1208594)
to be fair, i think Stevie supports many charities and has many causes she donates to. weren't her concerts in Phoenix one large donation to benefit AHI?

while Stevie seems to do the most of them publicly known, it looks like Christine has suppoerted various disease causes, and as far as we know LB and family support various art education causes.

Yes, Stevie held yearly Concerts in Arizona for AHI. I love the bootleg acoustic version of Gypsy that Lindsey and Waddy Wachtel played on about 16 years ago. I wish they played it that way on a Mac concert (I am sure some people would prefer an ensemble version of Big Love, as well).

FuzzyPlum 04-30-2017 10:40 AM

Christine does a lot in support of her local community. I'm not sure whether she did a lot in Kent, but now she lives in Belgravia she gives her time to the local community group (see: Belgravia Awards for unsung members of the local community).

I think I remember reading somewhere Mick has also done quite a bit in support of environmental issues in Maui....something to do with whales???
He also does a lot for a variety of charities through his restaurant...Make a Wish Foundation for example.
PS: I'm not sure whether it counts as charity as such but he also did that project on behalf of the US government to foster better relations with Cuba.

Nathan 04-30-2017 01:18 PM

I believe Stevie donated a cool million dollars to some sort of relief fund right after Hurricane Katrina.

michelej1 04-30-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1208594)

Yes, the Judd Apatow concert performances that Lindsey did was to raise money to tutor Los Angeles school kids and Kristen sets up charitable events. I remember the tour through the garden of their house was to raise money.

And when Lindsey appeared with Tim Kaine it was a private fundraiser for the Democratic party.

Michele

FuzzyPlum 04-30-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1208609)
Yes, the Judd Apatow concert performances that Lindsey did was to raise money to tutor Los Angeles school kids and Kristen sets up charitable events. I remember the tour through the garden of their house was to raise money.

And when Lindsey appeared with Tim Kaine it was a private fundraiser for the Democratic party.

Michele

...and of course, he did USA for Africa

SisterNightroad 04-30-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbfan (Post 1208590)
I recall that Stevie donated the proceeds from one of her songs (Sara or Beautiful Child) to a cause (healthcare related). I remember seeing it on television after Tusk came out (part of a concert, perhaps a clip from the news or "magazine" news show like Entertainment Tonight), but that was over 37 years ago.

Yes, it was mentioned in some clippings in 1979:

Beautiful Child is the one that, the writer's royalties are going to the Heart Institute in Arizona, and the publishing royalties are going to UNICEF, for the Year of the Child. So Ithink that's an important song, just because it's gonna be a song that's gonna go away on it's own, and do it's own trip...[About wether it is inspired by children] No. It's a demo, it was written almost three years ago. But it's a lullabye, even though it wasn't really inspired by children. It was inspired by a lot of things. But... I hope it does well, because if so... they'll probably even pull it as a single, just because it's that song, because it's for charity. And if so, it could make a lot of money... for both of those things, and that would be... I knew from the second I wrote that song that there was a purpose for it, it had a mission of sorts.
- Australian interview, 1979

Although Fleetwood Mac couldn't make it to the star-studded "Music for UNICEF" concert at the United Nations last month, they are donating a new song to the U.N.'s "Year of the Child" fundraising campaign. Written by Stevie Nicks, the tune is titled "Beautiful Child," and it will be included on the Mac's long-awaited new album, now scheduled for summer release.
"'Beautiful Child' is a lullaby," says Stevie. "It was written two years ago on a Sunday night sometime after midnight, and finished before dawn. It is my most special song....from Fleetwood Mac to the children, with love."
- Circus Weekly Magazine (02/13/1979)

From what I remember Stevie gave her supported more than once to events related to leukemia and heart diseases and participated in the AIDS gala held by Elton John.
Not exactly charity but I also remember about a fan of hers that had an incurable disease and that she got to know through one of those foundations that grants wishes to terminally-ill poeple. She gave him some little gifts and her home number and they kept in touch and met in person again until his death.

FuzzyPlum 04-30-2017 03:06 PM

As per Sisternightroad's post in MacNuggets- Mick is playing a charity event 'Acoustic 4ACure'. That reminded me he also did the Charity Drum-off for Will Ferrell and Chad Smith (for 'Cancer For College' and 'Silverdale Conservatory of Music'). I think he does quite a few of these types of events when he can.

bwboy 04-30-2017 03:23 PM

Stevie visited wounded soldiers at Walter Reed hospital several times, and donated hundreds of mp3 players or some device to them.

Not exactly philanthropic, but she also wrote to some magazine or newsletter that goes to soldiers, to encourage them, and some general gave her an American flag. The story is on her TimeSpace album.

elle 04-30-2017 03:57 PM

not really philantropic but LB has been doing several of this type of events / free lectures for students at various universities, either in music or business departments; this one has been put on youtube by department that was hosting it -

dreamsunwind 04-30-2017 04:10 PM

I think I read in some very old thread by what looked like a reliable user that Lindsey made monetary/musical contributions to the ACLU and GLAAD. And Stevie also had some causes but I completely forgot what they were.