The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Beatles: top 5 under appreciated songs (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56013)

FuzzyPlum 04-29-2016 05:29 PM

The Beatles: top 5 under appreciated songs

Anyone for the Fab Four?
I was just thinking of a few songs that I love that (I think) seem to be a bit under the radar as far as the general wider consciousness;

1) You Never Give Me Your Money
2) Rain
3) You're Going to Lose That Girl
3) Hey Bulldog
4) Mother Nature's Son

~*BellaDonna*~ 04-29-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1182241)
Anyone for the Fab Four?
I was just thinking of a few songs that I love that (I think) seem to be a bit under the radar as far as the general wider consciousness;

1) You Never Give Me Your Money
2) Rain
3) You're Going to Lose That Girl
3) Hey Bulldog
4) Mother Nature's Son

1. Fool On The Hill
2. Across The Universe
3. Don't Let Me Down
4. Something
5. Helter Skelter

I'm not a huge Beatles fan so maybe my picks aren't exactly underatred. :sorry:

FuzzyPlum 04-30-2016 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ (Post 1182243)
1. Fool On The Hill
2. Across The Universe
3. Don't Let Me Down
4. Something
5. Helter Skelter

I'm not a huge Beatles fan so maybe my picks aren't exactly underatred. :sorry:

I'm with you- I love all those songs. I'm not sure they are necessarily under-appreciated though. Although they aren't amongst the most famous Beatles songs I'd say they are regarded very highly- without checking I think all of them were included on the Red and Blue compilations. That said, I still can't believe Don't Let Me Down wasn't included on the original Let It Be album.

welcomechris 04-30-2016 06:24 AM

Good thread!

5. For You Blue
4. Ticket to Ride
3. The Fool on the Hill
2. Lady Madonna
1. Norwegian Wood

olive 04-30-2016 12:04 PM

Day Tripper
Octopus Garden
Martha my Dear
Penny Lane
Act Naturally

becca 04-30-2016 10:15 PM

I've always thought that There's A Place was a really under appreciated piece, I think it's sort of the first hint of lyrics beyond the usual 'I/she/he loves you' etc. type of lyrics. Pretty sure John wrote it. It is kind of hard to say any Beatles recording is under appreciated when even their most trivial things get heard by millions more than some other artists' best (not that this would be in any way the fault of the Fab ones). Also, I grew up with this as a b-side on a Capitol records orange and yellow swirl single. That harmonica riff is so haunting!

Another personal fixation is the instrumental Flying from the Magical Mystery Tour. I like it so much I tracked down all the alternate takes of it and burned them all on one CD-R. Mind you I've done other daft things like put every version of Walk Don't Run I could find on one as well, even a crazy 'vocal' version by 'The Marty Cooper Clan'.

:shrug: :shocked:

Macfanforever 04-30-2016 10:27 PM

No special order.Two came in mind right away.

Act Naturally also include the Ringo-Buck Owens version.

I Feel Fine also Sweethearts Of The Rodeo version

FuzzyPlum 05-01-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 1182339)
Another personal fixation is the instrumental Flying from the Magical Mystery Tour. I like it so much I tracked down all the alternate takes of it and burned them all on one CD-R.

The only Beatles 'song' to be credited to JPG+R I believe. I don't like the versions with all the freaky horns. I've always thought of Flying as a direct companion piece to Blue Jay Way- they fit really well together.

~*BellaDonna*~ 05-02-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1182274)
I'm with you- I love all those songs. I'm not sure they are necessarily under-appreciated though. Although they aren't amongst the most famous Beatles songs I'd say they are regarded very highly- without checking I think all of them were included on the Red and Blue compilations. That said, I still can't believe Don't Let Me Down wasn't included on the original Let It Be album.

Yeah, they are pretty highly-regarded Fab Four songs, though thanks to Charles Manson and his crazy-as-heck followers, Helter Skelter and The White Album got cast in a bad light for some time.