The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does anyone here think of Time as a great album? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=55862)

Segue Myles 02-02-2016 01:09 AM

Does anyone here think of Time as a great album?

My first ever post (I think).

Fleetwood Mac's Time: an album I assumed was rubbish, ended up becoming a major favourite!

Who else loved the chemistry of Bekka and Billy? I love their colab album as well!!

Near flawless, I could listen to Time forever!

Dr.Brown 02-02-2016 10:53 AM

Hi Segue!

Welcome to The Ledge! I really like Time too and agree about the Bekka and Billy chemistry.
Don't get me wrong, I love Stevie and Lindsey as well but Stevie was definitely not in a good place then. As to Lindsey, it's a shame his Out of the Cradle album didn't connect with more people - I think it's his best solo effort. I even enjoyed John McVie's solo "Gotta Band" album with Lola Thomas and wish we had heard more from her.

For me, the weak link in the Time lineup was Dave Mason and although the album included contributions from Christine, she was no longer an active touring member of the band and this seemed to doom this lineup's future. I know I'm in the minority, but I like the album's quirky ending track by Mick, "These Strange Times", especially his shout out to Peter Green. The track's title is a very apt description of that period of the band's history.

FuzzyPlum 02-02-2016 12:26 PM

I like Time. It's sad that a lot of fans haven't even listened to it just because S & L are absent. Christine's songs are consistent and Billy & Bekka's songs range from good to really good. Agree about Dave M. It's a bit of a shame they hadnt made the album without him but I understand he was recruited before Billy had returned to FM after initially leaving.
Yes, Time is a decent album (a return to warm, FM-sounding production).
Is it a great album? Nooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaay Jose

cascade13 02-02-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segue Myles (Post 1178256)
My first ever post (I think).

Fleetwood Mac's Time: an album I assumed was rubbish, ended up becoming a major favourite!

Who else loved the chemistry of Bekka and Billy? I love their colab album as well!!

Near flawless, I could listen to Time forever!

I could go on for a while about Time! I bought it on its release day, after seeing that lineup live a couple months before, and have always enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's flawless -- it's more Mirage than Rumours, to me -- but definitely a good, solid album. They really nailed the basic sound (not as sterile as Tango or SYW, not as murky as BTM), and they did a great job featuring Bekka on Dave and Billy's songs.

All that said, I'd have made a few tweaks...notably, keeping Rick on board. I liked Dave's songs well enough, but Rick would have paired better with both Billy and Bekka (and didn't have Dave's baggage with Christine). I also wish they'd have included a couple more up-tempo/rock songs, like on the last Zoo album. Bekka *really* shined on those. Aside from Shakin' the Cage itself, check out their cover of "Movin' On" (Bad Company) on YouTube to see what I mean.

I agree -- Bekka & Billy the album is excellent. They're really in their element there. Another lesser-known Billy/Bekka collaboration to check out if you haven't is the song Believe What You Say from Billy's Are You with Me Baby album from a few years later.

Macfan4life 02-03-2016 01:14 PM

I don't think the album as a whole is great. HOWEVER, it has one of my all time Christine McVie Mac songs "Nights in Estoril." Everything about that song is so Fleetwood Mac. Its typical Christine love song that rocks. Very classic Mac beat with Mick and John too. I do like the other Christine songs but sadly I don't care for the rest of the album.

billwebster 03-08-2016 04:50 PM

Bekka and Billy's collaborations are the strongest tracks on this album, together with some of the songs from Christine. Overall, the album is hit and miss, though. Michael Thompson who plays lead guitar on Christine's songs, should have gotten the guitarist spot instead of Dave Mason. Dave's songs sound like solo recordings which they probably are.

Mr Scarrott 03-09-2016 06:10 PM

I've just seen this video of the pre-Clinton inauguration press conference for the first time. It helps to clarify the timeline of Time a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lc7hE9TIr0

At 8:36 Christine confirms that the band will be going into the studio in April (1993). Presumably by then, Billy Burnette had gone and Bekka and Dave were yet to be recruited. I guess this explains their near-total absence from her songs- there's clearly some Billy and Bekka overdubbing done later on, but it's quite subtle, I think.

This article from August 1994 confirmed that Christine was going to appear on the album

http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...2&id=6541&c=18

I think this might knock on the head the theory that the band presented a Christine-less album to Warners and her tracks were then recorded later on to make it more marketable (not that they bothered much, anyway).

I've always liked Time. With the odd exception, it hangs together better than it should.

FuzzyPlum 03-11-2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1179290)
I've just seen this video of the pre-Clinton inauguration press conference for the first time. It helps to clarify the timeline of Time a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lc7hE9TIr0

At 8:36 Christine confirms that the band will be going into the studio in April (1993). Presumably by then, Billy Burnette had gone and Bekka and Dave were yet to be recruited. I guess this explains their near-total absence from her songs- there's clearly some Billy and Bekka overdubbing done later on, but it's quite subtle, I think.

This article from August 1994 confirmed that Christine was going to appear on the album

http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...2&id=6541&c=18

I think this might knock on the head the theory that the band presented a Christine-less album to Warners and her tracks were then recorded later on to make it more marketable (not that they bothered much, anyway).

I've always liked Time. With the odd exception, it hangs together better than it should.

I've only just seen this.
Thanks for that Mr Scarrott (and thanks to Nicole for the original Youtube posting, I believe). That was really interesting to watch. I guess- though Billy wasn't around at that time they knew he would be with them soon as they had the Superbowl gig already booked. I'm not quite clear though whether he was back in the band at the time of the Superbowl or whether he was just dropping in ad-hoc. What confuses me is why he didn't join them in the studio. I can't understand why Mick, Chris and John would have gone into the studio (in April of that year) without a recognised guitarist band-member with them. Anyway, Chris did indeed get her solo album but she had to wait another 10 years. It's interesting how they've compared FM with the Eagles in that article; how times have changed- I guess absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder.

Edit: it's also a lovely reminder of John being in interviews/press conferences

Mr Scarrott 03-11-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1179357)
Edit: it's also a lovely reminder of John being in interviews/press conferences

You're so right about that. John has a great gift for puncturing pomposity- what's more, I'm not even sure he knows he's doing it...

~*BellaDonna*~ 04-21-2016 12:29 AM

Certainly not a favorite of mine. Over the years it has grown on me, somewhat. I applaud the effort put forth by the band, considering the changes they had gone thru.

Macfan4life 04-28-2016 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ (Post 1181394)
Certainly not a favorite of mine. Over the years it has grown on me, somewhat. I applaud the effort put forth by the band, considering the changes they had gone thru.

This album has grown on you but you threw out Say You Will in the trash?
Now that is interesting ;)
:)

~*BellaDonna*~ 04-28-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1182177)
This album has grown on you but you threw out Say You Will in the trash?
Now that is interesting ;)
:)

Time is much better and had Christine McVie. I tried hard to get into SYW, but I just couldn't. Not even one song I like on it. And I don't care if you think I'm an idiot for appreciating Time and hating SYW. :]