The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2018 Movie Reviews (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57991)

Jondalar 06-24-2018 12:08 AM

2018 Movie Reviews

I’ve seen a bunch of new movies this year. I go to the theater as much as I can. Since the first half of the year is almost over, Ive decided to post my reviews. So far, there haven’t been really any movies I feel are truely terrible. It’s been a pretty good year so far. My favorite movie is Avengers Infinity War. Saw it 3 times. Also think Incredibles 2 is great.

1. Avengers Infinity War, grade A+ = great movie
2. Incredibles 2, grade A = not as good as the first but still excellent
3. A Quiet Place, grade B+ = smart, innovative
4. Hereditary, grade B = could not predict this movie, appreciated the acting and atmosphere
5. Upgrade, grade A- = very good low budget sci-fi, think Terminator meets Venom
6. Adrift, grade C+ = more love story than action movie, well acted but kinda boring
7. Black Panther, grade B- good leading man, not enough action and weak superhero but I liked entourage
8. Ready Player One, grade B- = think back to the future in a cartoon, there was enough to like but not enough to love
9. Deadpool 2, grade B- = funny, liked new team especially Domino, but didn’t love this
10. Solo: A Star Wars Story, grade C+ = this movie was just kinda there, two great action sequences and that’s that
11. The Florida Project, grade B = touching, sad
12. Rampage, grade C+ = fun, popcorn movie
13. Jurassic World, grade C+ = great special effects but turned into a weird haunted house movie
14. Thoroughbreds, grade C+ = well acted but a bit boring

Jondalar 07-04-2018 09:19 PM

15. The First Purge, grade C = better than I thought it would be, actually some scary moments, but it’s really just slasher movie, not terrible at all

Jondalar 07-07-2018 06:55 PM

16. Ant Man and The Wasp, grade B-, this feels more like an episode of a tv series than it does a sequal, it’s funny, nice, but very forgettable, a lot of people in the audience seemed to really love it, but it’s just a cute little movie. It’s ok.

Jondalar 07-14-2018 08:13 PM

17. Skyscraper, grade C+ =totally unrealistic, but fun, the Rock is starting to look old, it was good to see Neuve Campbell in a hit again. She is a good actress.

Jondalar 07-15-2018 12:10 AM

18. Whitney (Whitney Houston documentary) grade B+ = I feel like I learned about her like the fact that she was molested by a female when she was a kid, and she probably had a sexual relationship with her best friend Robyn. She was also a horrible mother but didn’t know it. She did a lot of drugs with her brothers and her and brothers were shuffled around a lot growing up. She was also bullied. She had her demons and it did lead to drug abuse. Her daughters death was a tragedy.

Jondalar 07-26-2018 10:16 AM

19. Unfriended: Dark Web, grade C- = Not as good as the first, not really scary, but not that terrible. It was decent.

FuzzyPlum 07-26-2018 03:04 PM

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again B+ = A good effort. Some great music and some truly moving moments. Not as good as the first film just because too much of the best music was mined for the first film. Some good creative movie making blending present day with back story. Also, Cher's face is too 'plastic' and off-putting unfortunately. Overall very nice though.

Jondalar 07-28-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1233107)
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again B+ = A good effort. Some great music and some truly moving moments. Not as good as the first film just because too much of the best music was mined for the first film. Some good creative movie making blending present day with back story. Also, Cher's face is too 'plastic' and off-putting unfortunately. Overall very nice though.

I never saw this movie because I heard it never had a plot.

Jondalar 07-29-2018 05:55 PM

20. Mission Impossible: Fallout, grade A = this movie is excellent, it’s the 2nd best movie I’ve seen this summer, right behind Avengers Infinity War.

Feather Blade 07-30-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1231617)
I’ve seen a bunch of new movies this year. I go to the theater as much as I can. Since the first half of the year is almost over, Ive decided to post my reviews. So far, there haven’t been really any movies I feel are truely terrible. It’s been a pretty good year so far. My favorite movie is Avengers Infinity War. Saw it 3 times. Also think Incredibles 2 is great.

1. Avengers Infinity War, grade A+ = great movie
2. Incredibles 2, grade A = not as good as the first but still excellent
3. A Quiet Place, grade B+ = smart, innovative
4. Hereditary, grade B = could not predict this movie, appreciated the acting and atmosphere
5. Upgrade, grade A- = very good low budget sci-fi, think Terminator meets Venom
6. Adrift, grade C+ = more love story than action movie, well acted but kinda boring
7. Black Panther, grade B- good leading man, not enough action and weak superhero but I liked entourage
8. Ready Player One, grade B- = think back to the future in a cartoon, there was enough to like but not enough to love
9. Deadpool 2, grade B- = funny, liked new team especially Domino, but didn’t love this
10. Solo: A Star Wars Story, grade C+ = this movie was just kinda there, two great action sequences and that’s that
11. The Florida Project, grade B = touching, sad
12. Rampage, grade C+ = fun, popcorn movie
13. Jurassic World, grade C+ = great special effects but turned into a weird haunted house movie
14. Thoroughbreds, grade C+ = well acted but a bit boring

I've been waffling on trying this one. Good to know it isn't terrible. Thank you for your insights. Wow! Movies are so expensive these days this represents quite an investment.

Jondalar 07-31-2018 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather Blade (Post 1233201)
I've been waffling on trying this one. Good to know it isn't terrible. Thank you for your insights. Wow! Movies are so expensive these days this represents quite an investment.

Thank you.

Some people did not like that movie, but I certainly did. The movie is unpredictable and the plot unfolds in a mysterious way. It’s a movie you can watch several times and get something new out of it each time.

Jondalar 08-11-2018 05:08 PM

21. The Meg, grade C+ guilty pleasure = in the water, this movie works. There are some great action scenes and beautiful visuals. Out of the water, this movie sucks. The acting is horrible and the plot is blah. However, I love shark movies. This movie is a cross between Orca and Deep Blue Sea and if you like those movies, u will probably like this.

FuzzyPlum 08-16-2018 05:14 PM

The Festival: A=
Just got back from watching this film...haven't laughed so much in ages. If anyone is familiar with (and appreciates) The Inbetweeners they'll love this film. It's crude, rude and offensive. Went to see it with my step-son and it was a bit awkward initially. Overall though we both left the cinema p!ssing ourselves with laughter. I won't give anything away... but the bit with Noel Fielding as the superstar DJ will truly live long in my memory. My only criticism is that it felt a bit short- could have done with an extra 20 minutes.
Not sure this will get much of a release outside the UK but if it comes near you and you are okay with lewd juvenile humour you'll like this film.

Edit: PS- I felt it apt to mention there's even a very, very funny Crowded House reference.

Jondalar 08-17-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1234226)
The Festival: A=
Just got back from watching this film...haven't laughed so much in ages. If anyone is familiar with (and appreciates) The Inbetweeners they'll love this film. It's crude, rude and offensive. Went to see it with my step-son and it was a bit awkward initially. Overall though we both left the cinema p!ssing ourselves with laughter. I won't give anything away... but the bit with Noel Fielding as the superstar DJ will truly live long in my memory. My only criticism is that it felt a bit short- could have done with an extra 20 minutes.
Not sure this will get much of a release outside the UK but if it comes near you and you are okay with lewd juvenile humour you'll like this film.

Edit: PS- I felt it apt to mention there's even a very, very funny Crowded House reference.

I’ve never even heard of this film.

FuzzyPlum 08-17-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1234295)
I’ve never even heard of this film.

As I said, I don't know whether it will even get much of a release outside the UK. I don't know whether The Inbetweeners is a thing in the US. Its the same sort of crass English humour.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/xmedia-c...0005441-lg.jpg

Jondalar 08-18-2018 11:47 PM

22. Alpha, grade B = great looking movie, simple story about the first time man and dog become friends, takes place 20,000 years ago, sub titles, reminded me of Clan of the Cave Bear but a much better movie. This is a good movie to take your kids to.

iamnotafraid 08-21-2018 01:23 AM

Speaking of movies...

Sad to say I learned Baby's Lake is no more.

Jondalar 08-21-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1234580)
Sad to say I learned Baby's Lake is no more.

???????????????? what does this mean

bombaysaffires 08-21-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1234597)

sounds like a Dirty Dancing reference. Baby was the main character. The story took place at a lake resort

Jondalar 08-21-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1234617)
sounds like a Dirty Dancing reference. Baby was the main character. The story took place at a lake resort

I hated that movie. No one puts Baby in a corner.

iamnotafraid 08-21-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1234597)

The lake dried up 'tis no more.

You know you like that movie. Everyone does.

It was a modern day (then) Elvis' movie.

DownOnRodeo 08-27-2018 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1233190)
20. Mission Impossible: Fallout, grade A = this movie is excellent, it’s the 2nd best movie I’ve seen this summer, right behind Avengers Infinity War.

I thought M:I Fallout had a LOT of cringeworthy lines/moments but had an amazing pace and LOADS of first-rate, edge-of-your seat action sequences. Basically, your typical BadRobot fare and great bang for buck (just remember to turn off your brain before watching).

Jondalar 09-03-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1234831)
I thought M:I Fallout had a LOT of cringeworthy lines/moments but had an amazing pace and LOADS of first-rate, edge-of-your seat action sequences. Basically, your typical BadRobot fare and great bang for buck (just remember to turn off your brain before watching).

I agree with your assessment. Loved the action. Here is the weird thing. This was a really good action movie but I have no desire to see it again. Hmmm...

Jondalar 09-03-2018 09:31 PM

23. Searching, grade is C+ = reminded me of a good Lifetime TV movie. I liked it but it felt cheap to me. The ending was tooo convenient.

Jondalar 09-08-2018 12:22 AM

24. The Nun, grade is C+ = the movie is all atmosphere and very little story. Only one good character, Frenchy, and that’s it. Great art direction but a huge missed opportunity. Borrows heavily from Silent Hill, the Haunting, the Exorcist and is not really original. Disappointed but if you love atmosphere. don’t miss this one

DownOnRodeo 09-08-2018 11:54 AM

Chernando

Re Mamma Mia 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1233168)
I never saw this movie because I heard it never had a plot.

I can report back that you heard correctly.

The final scene was quite touching but the rest was absurd. I like to think it might have worked better had it first been developed as an actual stage musical--more effort required to keep the narrative lean and coherent. But alas, it was 'straight to screen' for this tripey sequel.

I did notice that Benny Anderson was listed in the credits (we're talking buried in the credits) as playing all the keyboards and piano on the soundtrack. He's a musician's musician.

Jondalar 09-16-2018 12:14 AM

25. Predator, grade D = this movie is awful. It’s almost a comedy and the plot doesn’t make sense. It’s full of plot holes. I can’t believe this movie actually got made. Don’t waste your money!!!

Jondalar 09-30-2018 04:30 PM

26. Smallfoot, grade C+ = surprisingly this cartoon was boring, it was barely good. Was sort of disappointed.

Jondalar 09-30-2018 04:37 PM

26. Smallfoot, grade C+ = surprisingly this cartoon was boring, it was barely good. Was sort of disappointed.

Jondalar 10-06-2018 07:24 PM

27. A Star Is Born, Grade B = it’s a well directed, good movie. Lady Gaga is actually very impressive and is a natural actress. The problem is the music isn’t that great, it’s 30 minutes too long and I’m not sure I believe the ending. It’s a cross between Love Story and The Rose. I liked it but wanted more.

FuzzyPlum 10-07-2018 12:29 PM

The House with a Clock in it's Walls: B-
Watched this a couple of weeks ago. Not an awful film- just really strange. The trailers suggest its a comedy (and with Jack Black in it that's what you'd expect). However the trailers show every comical moment- and that's it. Overall it really isn't a comedy. In fact, it's pitched at the wrong audience- it's actually quite scary for young kids. Quite entertaining but very odd.

Jondalar 10-08-2018 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1238780)
The House with a Clock in it's Walls: B-
Watched this a couple of weeks ago. Not an awful film- just really strange. The trailers suggest its a comedy (and with Jack Black in it that's what you'd expect). However the trailers show every comical moment- and that's it. Overall it really isn't a comedy. In fact, it's pitched at the wrong audience- it's actually quite scary for young kids. Quite entertaining but very odd.

Thanks for review. I have no desire to see this film. It look looked to kiddish to me.

Feather Blade 10-08-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1237882)

You see such an amazing variety of film types. If you go see it, I am interested to hear what you think of Bad Times at the El Royale. It seems more like something my other half would be interested in, but for some reason I am intrigued by the story.

FuzzyPlum 10-08-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1238884)
Thanks for review. I have no desire to see this film. It look looked to kiddish to me.

I had no desire really but took my 6 year old daughter- thought it would be right up her street from what we saw on the trailers. As I said though- it turned out there's actually very little humour in it. It was more like a scarier Harry Potter film about wizards and warlocks for 13/14 year olds.

Jondalar 10-14-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather Blade (Post 1238926)
You see such an amazing variety of film types. If you go see it, I am interested to hear what you think of Bad Times at the El Royale. It seems more like something my other half would be interested in, but for some reason I am intrigued by the story.

I didn’t see El Royals. Here is the thing. No one I went with wanted to see it. It supposed to be kinda good but repetitive and no one was in a he mood for it. Sorry :( just doesn’t seem that appealing.

Jondalar 10-14-2018 04:15 PM

28. Venom, Grade B- = what a surprise! This movie is getting savaged by critics but I liked it. It’s chalk full of great action scenes. Is it great? no! But it is good. Very 80s and 90s type of superhero movie. I cannot believe this is only getting a 30% approval rating on rotten tomatoes. You may like this.

Jondalar 10-21-2018 10:31 PM

29. Halloween, grade B- = there is a low budget cheapness that works with this movie. It’s not great, but not bad. Not anywhere near as good as the original or Rob Zombie’s remake. There are some plot twists that are totally unbelievable but I liked the performances and some of the kills.

FuzzyPlum 10-22-2018 08:51 AM

Johnny English Strikes Again: C=
Meh

paleshadow 10-22-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1241748)
29. Halloween, grade B- = there is a low budget cheapness that works with this movie. It’s not great, but not bad. Not anywhere near as good as the original or Rob Zombie’s remake. There are some plot twists that are totally unbelievable but I liked the performances and some of the kills.

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was just as good as the first, and I absolutely hated Rob Zombies vision of it because he took away the mystery and almost made Michael someone you sympathized with. When I watched it I wondered if Laurie had only hugged him when he showed her the baby picture he had of her, would they have gone off someplace and been a happy family? :lol:

So without spoiling the new movie for anyone, do you think they'll do another or that this was it?

Jondalar 10-23-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paleshadow (Post 1241871)
I really enjoyed it. I thought it was just as good as the first, and I absolutely hated Rob Zombies vision of it because he took away the mystery and almost made Michael someone you sympathized with. When I watched it I wondered if Laurie had only hugged him when he showed her the baby picture he had of her, would they have gone off someplace and been a happy family? :lol:

So without spoiling the new movie for anyone, do you think they'll do another or that this was it?

Because the movie only cost 10 million to make and it made about 80 million in its opening weekend, I’m sure there will be some type of sequel. Jamie Lee had a deal where she gets a chunk of the profits. I’m sure once she sees the paycheck, she will sign on. It’s also good for women over 55 to be able to open a movie.