The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Will Stevie write something about Tom Petty? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57504)

Nick 10-05-2017 06:10 PM

Will Stevie write something about Tom Petty?

I remember Stevie (or whoever updates her social media) posted when both Glenn Frey and Prince passed away. I'm surprised she hasn't issued a statement over Tom Petty's death.

sleepless child 10-05-2017 07:06 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. I thought we might hear something from her by now. She must be inconsolable. I haven't heard anything about when his funeral will be either.

WatchChain 10-05-2017 07:18 PM

I think she's gearing up for some kind of grand statement. She doesn't want her statement to be a blurb. Rest assured, we WILL hear from her on this topic. :nod:

annabellee 10-05-2017 08:03 PM

Look back

She already has.

LB Freakazoid 10-05-2017 10:01 PM

I've been curious about this.... Tom Petty passing on the day before LB's birthday...... Hmmmmm.... There's a definite "end" and "beginning" theme there. LB being the start of her music, Tom being the start of her independence... And then there's LB with FM at the end of it all.....
there is some profound threads that could be drawn from....

Nick 10-06-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabellee (Post 1217271)
She already has.

What a useless comment. She hasn't made anything public on her Facebook or Twitter. Next time you wanna reply to someone, list a source where you got this "fake news". Thanks.

Jondalar 10-06-2017 03:59 PM

She will write a song that no one will be able to understand. She'll have Angel in the title, something like Heartbreaker Angel or Rock Angel and every times she sings it she will explain to the crowd that it's about her favorite rock star Tom Petty. (SIGH) 😫

sue 10-06-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1217290)
She will write a song that no one will be able to understand. She'll have Angel in the title, something like Heartbreaker Angel or Rock Angel and every times she sings it she will explain to the crowd that it's about her favorite rock star Tom Petty. (SIGH) 😫

Aaaah loving it already...

justcrazylove 10-06-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 1217283)
What a useless comment. She hasn't made anything public on her Facebook or Twitter. Next time you wanna reply to someone, list a source where you got this "fake news". Thanks.

What a ****ty thing to say, perhaps the poster was implying that her silence IS the statement.

ahafan02 10-06-2017 06:33 PM

OMG she's probably devastated. She was madly in love with him for the longest period of time and she probably still had a lot of feelings for him. Give her time.

Tango 10-06-2017 07:03 PM

Tango 10-06-2017 07:10 PM

Buster 10-06-2017 07:43 PM

If I'm devastated over Tom Petty's death, I can't even begin to imagine what Stevie is feeling. I don't blame her if she can never bring herself to put out a statement. I think she deserves all the love, prayers, gentleness and support her fans can give her. She's got it from me.

WatchChain 10-06-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahafan02 (Post 1217296)
OMG she's probably devastated. She was madly in love with him for the longest period of time and she probably still had a lot of feelings for him. Give her time.

This is an interesting concept. I had never thought too much about this theory, but you have a point. Tom is one of the few musician friends that Stevie NEVER dated or had some sort of fling with. Although she claims to have felt nothing more than a strong kinship with his music, DID Stevie actually harbor a secret burning love for Tom? Was it mad love? Did she ever secretly pursue him--with him being the only man who ever turned her down. She doesn't seem like his type, at least personality wise.

jwd 10-06-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 1217300)
If I'm devastated over Tom Petty's death, I can't even begin to imagine what Stevie is feeling. I don't blame her if she can never bring herself to put out a statement. I think she deserves all the love, prayers, gentleness and support her fans can give her. She's got it from me.

Agreed. As would be expecting "statements" from Benmont Tench, Mike Campbell, and all those that were that close to Tom.

dontlookdown 10-06-2017 11:15 PM

Exactly.
I’m just coming up for air today. Been in a funk all week.
I’m sure she’ll release something sweet and heartbreaking soon.

Lucinda Williams just posted a beautiful tribute on instagram and FB today.
Tom’s daughters have great pics up on Instagram.

I’m devastated.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...004-story.html

sue 10-07-2017 04:28 AM

Maybe, she has the good manners to wait until his wife and family put out a statement.
Then she will surely say something.
They must all be in shock and his family traumatised..
It's dreadful when someone dies unexpectedly and quite young really...

Nick 10-07-2017 08:29 AM

Thanks guys. I'm thinking the same, she's waiting for now, but will ultimately say something.

Tango 10-07-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlookdown (Post 1217310)

"The only gripe he had was about the hip he cracked shortly before the tour started, which he was now finally addressing."

ahafan02 10-07-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1217305)
This is an interesting concept. I had never thought too much about this theory, but you have a point. Tom is one of the few musician friends that Stevie NEVER dated or had some sort of fling with. Although she claims to have felt nothing more than a strong kinship with his music, DID Stevie actually harbor a secret burning love for Tom? Was it mad love? Did she ever secretly pursue him--with him being the only man who ever turned her down. She doesn't seem like his type, at least personality wise.

Tom had said in various interviews that she was and would follow him around like "a puppy dog". Tom was married in the mid 70's thru all of the 80's and he always seemed to be the kind that would never cheat. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't only Stevie now knows for sure but Tom had said she was in love with him.

Tango 10-07-2017 02:56 PM

http://wmmr.com/2017/10/06/peter-wol...g-tom-petty-2/

sleepless child 10-07-2017 07:25 PM

Benmont Tench put out a statement yesterday on twitter.

He thanked everyone for their kinds works about Tom and how much it meant to them and Tom's family. He said it meant a lot.

desertangel 10-09-2017 12:43 PM

I have been a bit perplexed by the silence as well. Last night I did some poking around. I had listened to the 911 call on TMZ and formed a couple loose opinions based on that. Then after poking around, I draw my own weak conclusions; that perhaps Tom has been smoking for 45 years and probably developed heart disease. His Stone interview last year sounded a bit pessimistic about the 40 yr tour, which was extended(?) Then when he fell and fractured his hip, he was probably urged to cancel or postpone and go for surgery, but Tom being Tom, wasn’t having it out of sense of obligation and sheer stubbornness. He was in a great deal of pain at the end. I’ve never heard of someone having a heart attack due to pain, but the two conditions together (hip fracture and heart disease) have an extremely high risk for heart attack. I also found an article that said he hadn’t been to a doctor in almost 20 years. Likely he didn’t like what he was being told back then. I think for sheer stubbornness he is no longer with us and I think Stevie may be experiencing some feelings of betrayal that has kept her quiet. I only say this because it might be the way I felt if I had someone I really cared about have something similar happen to them.

annabellee 10-09-2017 12:53 PM

Kindness...

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcrazylove (Post 1217294)
What a ****ty thing to say, perhaps the poster was implying that her silence IS the statement.

Thanks for seeing my post from a different perspective and trying to support me. I try and avoid the negativity, especially the really aggressive stuff as the person who posts like that must really have something going on that I'll never understand. Have a great day!

Newzchspy 10-09-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1217305)

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, BUT that's not what TP had implied in several interviews??

Steviegirl 10-09-2017 05:57 PM

I don't want to be contrary at this very sad time, but I'm thinking Stevie hasn't posted anything because she might not be able to lift her head off the pillow. I understand that she posted remarks about Prince and Glenn Frey, but I think this is a loss that is far more personal and shocking than she's had in a very long time~maybe since the loss of her mother. I believe she thought of Tom Petty as not just a very good friend who was special to her, but rather a family member. Just my humble opinion.

svnwndrs 10-09-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steviegirl (Post 1217376)
I don't want to be contrary at this very sad time, but I'm thinking Stevie hasn't posted anything because she might not be able to lift her head off the pillow. I understand that she posted remarks about Prince and Glenn Frey, but I think this is a loss that is far more personal and shocking than she's had in a very long time~maybe since the loss of her mother. I believe she thought of Tom Petty as not just a very good friend who was special to her, but rather a family member. Just my humble opinion.

All valid points. I have been thinking the same things all week. And don’t forget, Stevie hates social media!

Nick 10-09-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabellee (Post 1217362)
Thanks for seeing my post from a different perspective and trying to support me. I try and avoid the negativity, especially the really aggressive stuff as the person who posts like that must really have something going on that I'll never understand. Have a great day!

Are you really that sensitive? Why did you feel the need to try and have the last word? Your comment just wasn't sufficient. End of story. You provided nothing to back it. I'm not aggressive, I just think you needed to add anything worth reading. Now you have a great day too!

Nick 10-09-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steviegirl (Post 1217376)

Totally agree, but I'd still like to hear/read her remember him whenever she's ready.

Steviegirl 10-09-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 1217379)
Totally agree, but I'd still like to hear/read her remember him whenever she's ready.

Me, too, Nick.

sleepless child 10-10-2017 06:54 AM

I'm starting to think she isn't going to put out a statement. It's been a week now. Has anyone heard anything about his funeral plans?

I think this has really brought her to her knees. Many artists have paid tribute to Tom this week, I think her silence tells me she just can't bring herself to write anything.

SisterNightroad 10-10-2017 07:16 AM

Stevie has never been one to think much about social media and this tragedy that hit her closer than the previous ones, surely the thought of putting out a statement on Facebook hasn't really crossed her mind.

Newzchspy 10-10-2017 12:59 PM

Tom was very private when it came to his personal life and I suspect that his family is respecting his wishes that should something happen to not make a big media deal out of it. Stevie is most likely respecting those wishes. I am sure she has given Dana and the kids her condolences in more ways than one. I also suspect that when the time is right, there will be some type of public memorial with other musicians taking part.

Nathan 10-10-2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newzchspy (Post 1217392)
Tom was very private when it came to his personal life and I suspect that his family is respecting his wishes that should something happen to not make a big media deal out of it. Stevie is most likely respecting those wishes. I am sure she has given Dana and the kids her condolences in more ways than one. I also suspect that when the time is right, there will be some type of public memorial with other musicians taking part.

This is my take as well. Thanks for posting.

SpyNote 10-11-2017 12:17 AM

The next issue of Rolling Stone will probably be a tribute to Tom. I wonder if Stevie will write a piece there.

Villavic 10-11-2017 02:25 PM

Since her silence has been absolute, all our opinions may be valid. Anyway, I'm one of those who is surprised. I still remember her words about Glenn and Prince, so I expected something about Tom. I guess she's still in shock, but who knows.

dontlookdown 10-11-2017 02:57 PM

I’m sure she’ll say something. But on her own time.
Benmont is very active on instagram and he hasn’t posted anything yet.
Knowing how close the band is, I’m sure they’re all still stricken with grief
and just getting thru each day.

sleepless child 10-12-2017 06:54 AM

Benmont did post a few days back about Tom. He thanked everyone for their kind words and said it meant a lot to them and Tom's family.

TheWildHeart67 10-13-2017 03:48 PM

I just posted an interview Stevie just did with Rolling Stone mag regarding Tom's passing