The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rickie Lee Jones (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=11963)

dontlookdown 10-19-2003 12:03 AM

Rickie Lee Jones

this is completely off topic
but i wanted to share some new music with anyone who's interested.

Rickie Lee Jones just released a new album - Evening Of My Best Day
and I think it's easily the years best record (along with Say You Will).
It's excellent from start to finish - and one of those records that really sinks in after a few listens. It's been a long time since such a perfect record has come out - the kind of album that was more common in the 70's. So good and so addictive.

So - there's my little plug for this truly gifted artist. Give it a try - you'll love it - and it's a nice break from FM!

David 10-19-2003 12:17 PM

Re: Rickie Lee Jones

Quote:

Originally posted by dontlookdown
this is completely off topic
but i wanted to share some new music with anyone who's interested.

Rickie Lee Jones just released a new album - Evening Of My Best Day
and I think it's easily the years best record (along with Say You Will).
It's excellent from start to finish - and one of those records that really sinks in after a few listens. It's been a long time since such a perfect record has come out - the kind of album that was more common in the 70's. So good and so addictive.

So - there's my little plug for this truly gifted artist. Give it a try - you'll love it - and it's a nice break from FM!

I followed Rickie Lee Jones since the "Pirates" album in 1981. She really struck me as a neo-Beat poet whose ability with language & imagery was, outside of Joni Mitchell, Dylan, Costello & Springsteen, practically unsurpassed. She paints images, cinematically (cuts, fades, dissolves, etc.), with her stories & poems the way Lindsey paints with texture & color musically. I saw her in concert four or five times, including the Roxy show in 1981 (the bottle of Jack Daniels within reach at all times) & the great Los Angeles show for the "Magazine" tour, which featured Fleetwood Mac Peripheralist George Hawkins as bass player, singer & speaker.

Rickie Lee's career slid over the years, & I didn't tune in to each of her latest ventures as often. But I've been observing her Web site since it began, & I've always been impressed -- & envious. She uploads MP3s of rare live tracks for 75 cents or a dollar each, whereas of course Fleetwood Mac does nothing of the sort, & never will.

Hawkeye 10-19-2003 12:19 PM

Have ypu seen the chit chat forum. Off topic posts go THERE.

sodascouts 10-19-2003 02:08 PM

Any relation to Mary Lee Jones? hehe.

darklinensuit 10-19-2003 09:03 PM

I don't really know her songs. I remember her being on SNL years ago, & I think she was on the Party of 5 Album that Stevie was on. I think she sang Sunshine Superman.

- Jake

cliffdweller 10-20-2003 10:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I love Ricki Lee Jones, glad to hear she's still making music and that it's on par with her 70's stuff. Loooove Pirates, easily one of the best albums ever.

:wavey:

macmar71 10-20-2003 10:52 PM

She is one of my favorite female singers. I love her Flying Cowboys album and her song "The Horses" can be heard in the movie Jerry McGuire.