The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Current lineup is not worthy of Hold Me. (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58369)

Wdm6789 11-28-2018 07:22 PM

Current lineup is not worthy of Hold Me.

I was pretty bummed it wasn’t on the setlist for On With The Show, because it definitely should have been. I cannot believe they would do this song without Lindsey. I have not seen videos of it yet. I keep checking Instagram and YouTube. The only way that it would be okay for them to play Hold Me without Lindsey is if Christine sings all the lead vocals by herself.

David 11-28-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1244679)
I was pretty bummed it wasn’t on the setlist for On With The Show, because it definitely should have been. I cannot believe they would do this song without Lindsey. I have not seen videos of it yet. I keep checking Instagram and YouTube. The only way that it would be okay for them to play Hold Me without Lindsey is if Christine sings all the lead vocals by herself.

Do you remember she did this one on her 1984 tour, and she sang with — I think it was — George Hawkins. Maybe Todd Sharp sang, too?

Wdm6789 11-28-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1244681)
Do you remember she did this one on her 1984 tour, and she sang with — I think it was — George Hawkins. Maybe Todd Sharp sang, too?

Yes, I almost mentioned that in my post. I still stand by my claim. Christine’s solo tour in 1984 was a totally different situation. It’s like Stevie playing Dreams or Gypsy on her solo tours. Christine, of course, was going to play a few of her popular Fleetwood Mac songs on her solo tour and Hold Me was a big early 80s hit. This new lineup is a completely different situation, not comparable to Christine’s mid 80s solo tour.

Feather Blade 11-28-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1244679)

You said you haven't been able to see a video of it yet (I haven't either and I'd love to give it a listen). Perhaps wait until you do before you pass judgement on it? Just a thought...

Macfan4life 11-28-2018 08:06 PM

Of course. The addition of Hold Me at this phase of the tour is desperation. The arenas are packed but very low energy crowds compared with On With The Show. The band feels this and keeps dropping any deep tracks for more hits. We lost Hypnotized, Storms, Isn't It Midnight, and some Finn song. The casual "fans" want the hits because they never heard these other songs. The fans are like a deer caught in the headlights when the deep tracks are played. If things continue at this rate, don't be surprised to see Stand Back come into the set.

SteveMacD 11-28-2018 08:26 PM

I don’t see why not. It’s not like Lindsey wrote it.

MikeInNV 11-28-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1244690)
I don’t see why not. It’s not like Lindsey wrote it.

Exactly. And he's a co-writer on Isn't It Midnight, and no one seemed to mind having that in the set. (But it's readily apparent that the band can do no right....including Lindsey is shameful but leaving him out is disrespectful.)

Storms123 11-28-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInNV (Post 1244692)
Exactly. And he's a co-writer on Isn't It Midnight, and no one seemed to mind having that in the set. (But it's readily apparent that the band can do no right....including Lindsey is shameful but leaving him out is disrespectful.)

It's Christine's song--she can do whatever she wants with it. Personally, I was thrilled to hear it during BuckVie, but full disclosure, I don't think it sounded that great. That's neither here nor there at this point though. Like I said, it's her song ultimately, and she's part of the band. I will say though, and I believe an earlier poster mentioned it, stripping back the set list now to include the "standards" or well known songs is disappointing. While I am not thrilled about the LB situation, I was intrigued by the earlier set list. They don't come around my way til next year--my curiosity was starting to get the best of me--but the more obscure/less known/less "commercial" stuff they strip out--the less interested I am. At this rate, by the time the 2019 iteration of the tour rolls around, I fear OWTS part deux. And I don't need to pay these prices for that.

secondhandchain 11-29-2018 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1244688)
Of course. The addition of Hold Me at this phase of the tour is desperation. The arenas are packed but very low energy crowds compared with On With The Show. The band feels this and keeps dropping any deep tracks for more hits. We lost Hypnotized, Storms, Isn't It Midnight, and some Finn song. The casual "fans" want the hits because they never heard these other songs. The fans are like a deer caught in the headlights when the deep tracks are played. If things continue at this rate, don't be surprised to see Stand Back come into the set.

The low energy is coming from people who are saying "WHERE THE F IS LINDSEY?" And you KNOW that's part of it. Many people had no idea.

SteveMacD 11-29-2018 01:32 AM

The most offensive part of the current lineup’s rendition is the horrid pink Windows 95 screensaver going on in the background.

David 11-29-2018 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1244711)
The most offensive part of the current lineup’s rendition is the horrid pink Windows 95 screensaver going on in the background.

What is the significance of the weird crap they're putting on the video screen behind the band? Dare I ask whose idea it is to show breaching whales, horses, and other flora and fauna in slow motion and split screen?

Since it took them long enough to play Hold Me, I went ahead and played it meself on drugs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_lfezASuZQ

HomerMcvie 11-29-2018 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1244712)
What is the significance of the weird crap they're putting on the video screen behind the band? Dare I ask whose idea it is to show breaching whales, horses, and other flora and fauna in slow motion and split screen?

Since it took them long enough to play Hold Me, I went ahead and played it meself on drugs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_lfezASuZQ

I much prefer it in D. Dropping it to B was far too obvious a key change for Buck Vie(and I can only assume, this current infarcenation).

Was that Max Simmons in your video montage?

And Honest Abe would be rolling over in his grave, at Lindsey's expulsion.

The horrors. My god, the horrors.

mirror69 11-29-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Right now I'm not surprise if they drop Black Magic Woman or Tell me for "Stand back" they lost another time to do something new without a record a new work they have no fantasy.....it's more sad with Lindsey would be same because with him in 15 years same 14/15 songs in all tour........Always the same

Macfan4life 11-29-2018 06:11 AM

Of course they have a right to play Hold Me and its a great song. However when they first announced their set list, I think most of us were surprised the dare they were taking on with deep tracks. Its apparent with dropping the deep tracks, the band feels the mood of the arena is off.
I could be in the minority but the longer this tour goes on, the more odd it is to me. I think the band would have been better off hiring a guitarist who does not sing. I think they are fully trying to replicate Lindsey in replacing him vocally and musically. I think Stevie and Chris have enough material to carry a full concert set. For the band to fire Lindsey and hire another guitarist to not only play guitar but sing Lindsey songs is still very strange to me. Imagine if the Rolling Stones fired Keith Richards and the band hired a new guitarist. The band puts "Little T&A" in the set. The fans would boo and throw food at the stage. Its bad enough you fire the guitarist but sing his songs too? I am not being harsh on Finn. He was put in this position because they want him to sing and be like Lindsey. The band cant have Finn sing vintage Mac songs because apparently the audience is bored. They dropped Hypnotized only after a few weeks. So the band feels they must play Lindsey's Rumours songs. These songs most of the audience knows. Its so strange for the band to be playing Monday Morning, Second Hand News, and Go Your Own Way. Ok, I may give them a pass at GYOW. Its always closed their sets. It was done in the years Lindsey left. However, even in those years the band did not dare do Lindsey songs. Blue Letter was played in 1987 but Lindsey did not write it. They found a way not to try and reproduce Lindsey. You cant reproduce a guitarist AND vocalist in a band. Its impossible. This is what I feel the band is experiencing right now. The concert numbers are pretty good. But something still does not feel right.
And they wonder why?

bwboy 11-29-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1244717)
Of course they have a right to play Hold Me and its a great song. However when they first Its so strange for the band to be playing Monday Morning, Second Hand News, and Go Your Own Way. Ok, I may give them a pass at GYOW. Its always closed their sets. It was done in the years Lindsey left. However, even in those years the band did not dare do Lindsey songs. Blue Letter was played in 1987 but Lindsey did not write it. They found a way not to try and reproduce Lindsey. You cant reproduce a guitarist AND vocalist in a band. Its impossible. This is what I feel the band is experiencing right now. The concert numbers are pretty good. But something still does not feel right.
And they wonder why?

Just wanted to remind you that Billy Burnette also sang Don't Let Me Down Again, a song that Lindsey recorded before he even joined FM. To me, that was more brazen than Neil singing Second Hand News.

Also, I understand what you're saying about Hold Me, but the fact that FM hasn't performed it live since 1982 does, to me, make it a surprising and pleasing addition! Although I hate they gave up Isn't It Midnight, at least they replaced it with Hold Me and not Over My Head, for example, a song I love but has been performed several times by FM, unlike Hold Me.

I kind of thought there was a good chance Hold Me and Wish You Were Here would be on the original set list, since they were performed by Buck/Vie last year.

ryan4136 11-29-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Which again shows you that the fans aren't showing up for "this new energized FM" they are just there to hear the jukebox.

elle 11-29-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1244719)
I kind of thought there was a good chance Hold Me and Wish You Were Here would be on the original set list, since they were performed by Buck/Vie last year.

Yes I was sure they were gonna do Hold Me on this tour because they had it down for BuckVie. If Lindsey was not kicked out I have no doubt it would have been a part of the standard setlist.

For some reason this one hurts. I’m happy they are doing Second Hand News and Monday Morning. I hate they are doing GYOW but Lindsey’s solo tour is healing for that. But Hold Me? I don’t know why but it just hurts. She was doing that nice intro to it last year, how it was one of their duets, her and Lindsey. How much the two of them always had a connection and worked so great together. It just finally feels like she’s really betraying him.

And people, please don’t come back to this with some stupid reasoning and trying to rationalize why it’s ok. It is not, not to me.

elle 11-29-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan4136 (Post 1244722)
Which again shows you that the fans aren't showing up for "this new energized FM" they are just there to hear the jukebox.

Public filling arenas, yeah. As most nostalgia bands. They are there for a notch in the belt, beer and jukebox.

As far as the actual FM fans, from looking across social media it’s mainly Stevie Nicks rabid fans who always hated LB, and couldn’t care less about the Mac. All of the sudden they are going to tons of Mac shows, even though they are getting nothing different from Nicks from any other FM tour (unless you count 3 covers). Oh and Steve. 😂

jbrownsjr 11-29-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1244681)

I thought her solo version was better than the Mirage tour version.

jbrownsjr 11-29-2018 12:53 PM

They are doing World Turning which was the first ever BuckVie co-write.

elle 11-29-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1244731)
They are doing World Turning which was the first ever BuckVie co-write.

There you go with rational points - what did I say about that somewhere up in this thread? :distress: :xoxo:

jbrownsjr 11-29-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1244733)
There you go with rational points - what did I say about that somewhere up in this thread? :distress: :xoxo:

If they did Mystified, I would be seriously pissed. Because that would be some serious BuckVie taunting. lol

SteveMacD 11-29-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to remind you that Billy Burnette also sang Don't Let Me Down Again, a song that Lindsey recorded before he even joined FM. To me, that was more brazen than Neil singing Second Hand News.

Agreed.

I used to think that it was brazen, too, until I learned that Billy and his dad were given a copy of Buckingham Nicks in 1973 and Billy immediately fell in love with the album. He thought it was reminiscent of Delaney & Bonnie. He may have been familiar with them before being familiar with Fleetwood Mac. Anyway, DLMDA was a natural fit for his style.

David 11-29-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1244738)
Agreed.

I used to think that it was brazen, too, until I learned that Billy and his dad were given a copy of Buckingham Nicks in 1973 and Billy immediately fell in love with the album. He thought it was reminiscent of Delaney & Bonnie. He may have been familiar with them before being familiar with Fleetwood Mac. Anyway, DLMDA was a natural fit for his style.

I never thought it was brazen, for those very reasons. Billy had a baker's dozen links to Fleetwood Mac by that time, and loved Lindsey. You can bet that DLMDA was in the set in 1987 expressly because Billy wanted to do it. So it wasn't brazen at all—it was a tribute from a fan (a fan who appeared with Lindsey on SNL in 1981).

jbrownsjr 11-29-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1244741)
I never thought it was brazen, for those very reasons. Billy had a baker's dozen links to Fleetwood Mac by that time, and loved Lindsey. You can bet that DLMDA was in the set in 1987 expressly because Billy wanted to do it. So it wasn't brazen at all—it was a tribute from a fan (a fan who appeared with Lindsey on SNL in 1981).

I remember being quite pleased with the Billy choice back in 1987. I was so familiar with his music and style that I didn't mind it at all.

Netter75 11-29-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Also, I understand what you're saying about Hold Me, but the fact that FM hasn't performed it live since 1982 does, to me, make it a surprising and pleasing addition! Although I hate they gave up Isn't It Midnight, at least they replaced it with Hold Me and not Over My Head, for example, a song I love but has been performed several times by FM, unlike Hold Me.

I'm unbelievably sad about IIM's dissapearance from the setlist. It's one of my favorite songs and it's inclusion is what got me hyped for this tour and convinced me to buy my ticket. Hoping they don't cut anymore...

You've got a point though that seeing Hold Me is a rarity in it of itself, even if I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the song. From the video I saw of it though I did like it better than the album cut, so that's something.

If they had cut IIM for the low-energy Over My Head I would have thrown a chair :laugh:.

jbrownsjr 11-29-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netter75 (Post 1244747)
I'm unbelievably sad about IIM's dissapearance from the setlist. It's one of my favorite songs and it's inclusion is what got me hyped for this tour and convinced me to buy my ticket. Hoping they don't cut anymore...

You've got a point though that seeing Hold Me is a rarity in it of itself, even if I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the song. From the video I saw of it though I did like it better than the album cut, so that's something.

If they had cut IIM for the low-energy Over My Head I would have thrown a chair :laugh:.

Agree... Over My Head Live... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Macfan4life 11-29-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

That's correct. One difference is that Stevie sings the entire song (Don't let me down again). I love Hold Me and welcome it to the set. That's not my point. I just see their bravery falling apart. I think they had too much faith in their casual fans. You know, the ones who only show up for Stevie which is about 80% of the crowd.

Macfan4life 11-29-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1244749)
Agree... Over My Head Live... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

True.
Give us the Live Album (1980) version or go home.

DownOnRodeo 11-29-2018 07:07 PM

Soon they'll just play the Greatest Hits cd over the PA, watching on hesitantly from backstage while the audience is hosed down with jets of cheap beer.

lovethemac1 11-29-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1244758)
Soon they'll just play the Greatest Hits cd over the PA, watching on hesitantly from backstage while the audience is hosed down with jets of cheap beer.

OMG, this is just hilarious.....thank you!!!! I'm still laughing.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Netter75 11-29-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1244754)
True.
Give us the Live Album (1980) version or go home.

I agree. The Live album version has some energy, as well as the live versions from the '75 tour. Beyond that? Gawdddd it's dull. The Dance performance in particular was lame as all hell. They made a good move to replace it with Oh Daddy on the ensuing tour. Wish they had done that for the special as well.

Sidenote does anyone else completely LOVE the '97 rendition of Oh Daddy? Chris' voice is strong and I love the instrumentation/backing vocals

Storms123 11-29-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1244758)

But only every third night.

dontlookdown 11-30-2018 01:08 AM

I actually think they sounded pretty great - judging by the youtube videos I've seen of Hold Me.
And I'm one of the most disappointed Lindsey fans I know.

If Chris sings Don't Stop w/o Lindsey, there's no reason why she shouldn't do Hold Me w/o him.

I love Mike Campbell, but I still think it's weird they're doing Second Hand News and Monday Morning w/o Lindsey.

jbrownsjr 11-30-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netter75 (Post 1244763)
I agree. The Live album version has some energy, as well as the live versions from the '75 tour. Beyond that? Gawdddd it's dull. The Dance performance in particular was lame as all hell. They made a good move to replace it with Oh Daddy on the ensuing tour. Wish they had done that for the special as well.

Sidenote does anyone else completely LOVE the '97 rendition of Oh Daddy? Chris' voice is strong and I love the instrumentation/backing vocals

The way she sang Oh Daddy on the Dance Tour had me in tears. It was so good.

BlanketMan 11-30-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Of course. The addition of Hold Me at this phase of the tour is desperation. The arenas are packed but very low energy crowds compared with On With The Show. The band feels this and keeps dropping any deep tracks for more hits. We lost Hypnotized, Storms, Isn't It Midnight, and some Finn song.

"some Finn song"?!? Aargh, they dropped "I Got You"! That was one of the two big reasons I was still contemplating seeing FM in March. I've seen Finn four times since 1987 and never has he done "I Got You," one of my all-time favorite tunes. Seems unlikely they'll bring it back for the spring leg...

Storms123 11-30-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlanketMan (Post 1244804)
"some Finn song"?!? Aargh, they dropped "I Got You"! That was one of the two big reasons I was still contemplating seeing FM in March. I've seen Finn four times since 1987 and never has he done "I Got You," one of my all-time favorite tunes. Seems unlikely they'll bring it back for the spring leg...

At the rate they are going, by the spring leg, they will have dropped everything that made this sort of intriguing and you will have OWTS part 2, with a tribute to Tom Petty.

jmn3 12-01-2018 08:35 AM

Finally saw the Phoenix Hold Me video on YouTube and...it's alright. It's less lame than the BuckVie tour with all the canned vocals, but not by much. With all the people on stage able to sing, why on Earth they are using canned vocals for the "Come on and" parts just like they did on BuckVie is just beyond me. It's hard to tell from the video but is Neil, just like Lindsey did, mouthing that part too? Lame.

It looks (again hard to tell in the video for certain) like Chris isn't playing the solo...again. And I'll just say it, Mike Campbell's solos on this song absolutely suck.

They can play whatever they want, and Hold Me should have been in the set in 1997 and 2014-15, so I don't care if this group also wants to play it, but it definitely continues to lack the oomph that this great track should have.

Give me the raw and ridiculous "Hold me, hold me, yeaahhhhhh's" from the Mirage Tour any day of the week.

BLY 12-02-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1244827)
Finally saw the Phoenix Hold Me video on YouTube and...it's alright. It's less lame than the BuckVie tour with all the canned vocals, but not by much. With all the people on stage able to sing, why on Earth they are using canned vocals for the "Come on and" parts just like they did on BuckVie is just beyond me. It's hard to tell from the video but is Neil, just like Lindsey did, mouthing that part too? Lame.

It looks (again hard to tell in the video for certain) like Chris isn't playing the solo...again. And I'll just say it, Mike Campbell's solos on this song absolutely suck.

They can play whatever they want, and Hold Me should have been in the set in 1997 and 2014-15, so I don't care if this group also wants to play it, but it definitely continues to lack the oomph that this great track should have.

Give me the raw and ridiculous "Hold me, hold me, yeaahhhhhh's" from the Mirage Tour any day of the week.

It is Neil singing “Come on and”

kak125 12-02-2018 01:05 PM

Just watched the Phoenix & Vegas videos and it sounds ok it just seems too slow and lacking any sort of energy. I am so glad I got to hear Isn’t It Midnight in Pittsburgh at least.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zs5aVUdxn8