The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Magnet & Steel (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=6111)

jeffles 04-15-2002 10:19 AM

Magnet & Steel

I was wondering what all your thoughts are on the Matthew Sweet/Lindsey Buckingham version of Walter Egan's "Magnet & Steel". Interestingly enough, LB produced and performed on Egan's original version from 1978. Any thoughts?

BLY 04-15-2002 10:30 AM

I have always loved the Walter Egan version of the song.The Matthew Sweet/Lindsey Buckingham version really rocks more. I love the vocals Lindsey adds at the end and the guitar jam at the end is great. I believe Suzzana Hoffs is the female vocal on the track.

Les 04-15-2002 11:13 AM

I like the original and I also like the remake a lot. It's got a lot of oomph, particularly in Lindsey's solo and vocals. You're right, it is Susannah doing the female backing vocals. I think there's more of a conscious gender division in the "you are the magnet" (Matthew & Susannah) vs. "I am steel" (Matthew & Lindsey) vocal arrangements. It seems to emphasize a greater sense of sexuality between the female and the male...or maybe I'm over analyzing... ;)

All in all, a good song and a good remake. I believe Walter said he loved it too.

nodmod 04-15-2002 03:04 PM

Re: Magnet & Steel

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffles
I was wondering what all your thoughts are on the Matthew Sweet/Lindsey Buckingham version of Walter Egan's "Magnet & Steel". Interestingly enough, LB produced and performed on Egan's original version from 1978. Any thoughts?
I love it, better then Walter's version.

I believe Lindsey also appears on Matthew's "Dark Secret" for The Craft S/T. Not sure in what role though. However another good song

wondergirl9847 04-15-2002 10:39 PM

GREATNESS!!

I LOVE the Matthew Sweet/Lindsey version!! :nod: The guitar solo kicks and it just rocks out!! :thumbsup: It was one of the very first songs I downloaded from AG when I found out LB was involved with the song.

sodascouts 04-15-2002 10:41 PM

Sorry Walter...

But I love Matthew Sweet's version of it - I mean, Lindsey's guitar at the end is great! And, of course, the "I am steel" - I always thought that line sounded goofy until I heard Lindsey sing it on that version...then suddenly I understood. lol

witchywoman 04-16-2002 09:23 PM

I really like both versions, but the Matthew Sweet/Lindsey
version really rocks. Love the guitar work and the vocals
are very defined. Great song!
But then IT IS Lindsey, what would you expect??;)

witchywoman:)

Janet 04-18-2002 08:22 PM

I can't remember what the song sounds like but the Craft, while the girls just performed that huge spell by the ocean and they are walking by the dead whales, that's when the song plays. I never knew until the last time I saw the movie and it was so Lindsey. I dont own the movie or the sountrack but I'll check it out and see.