The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fleetwood Mac 2013 Press (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51072)

WildHearted 12-03-2012 05:37 PM

Fleetwood Mac 2013 Press

In an effort to keep the boards cleaned up, I figured we could have a running thread regarding press for the 2013 Tour since much of it is likely to be the same info rehashed over and over. If and when Mick and John start talking I'll update it to Fleetwood Mac 2013 Press rather than just Stevie and Lindsey.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The friction between Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham that went public with 1977's Rumours has yet to cool.

"We are a cast of characters who never really belonged in the same band in the first place," says Buckingham, 63. "But the synergy works, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the mines lie in the field this time. It wouldn't be a band without that tension. All the same things kick in. I know what I'm supposed to do. I know whose face to get in to make things happen. All those roles are so familiar. I'm ready to pick up the dice and roll again."

Rumours was recorded during the breakups of the band's two couples, Nicks and Buckingham and John and Christine McVie, who left in 1998. The three carried on, along with drummer Mick Fleetwood, and will launch an arena tour April 4. Nicks and Buckingham are considering a 40th anniversary reissue of their storied Buckingham Nicks album next year, with a newly unearthed, previously unreleased track from the sessions.

TOUR DATES: Fleetwood Mac to hit the road April 4

Nicks, the most commercially successful Mac spinoff, finished a two-year tour supporting her lauded In Your Dreams, co-written and co-produced in her home with Dave Stewart. Since last year's release of Seeds We Sow, Buckingham has been touring with his band and in solo acoustic mode.

It was a confidence booster that improved his singing, he says. He's aware Nicks is returning with greater spunk after her winning streak, which could set the stage for a clash.

Her solo outing "renewed Stevie's spirit," he says. "I'm happy she had a couple of great years. If it means a more complex political landscape, so be it."

Buckingham's solo foray "has been good for him," says Nicks, 64. "Playing (one-man shows) can't help but give you a certain compassionate softness. It's very different from Fleetwood Mac."

And while she declares the Dreams project with Stewart "the best year of my life," Nicks is eager to return to Mac and determined to establish harmony.

"I'm going to be very clear about what I want," she says. "What I want is for this band to get along and have a great time. So I'm demanding that. We are going to have a great collaborative working relationship. We're always great on stage. I don't say that from a conceited place. We've been playing since 1975. We know what we're doing up there."

Buckingham can't argue with that.

"The important thing is for us not to let the politics or landmines get in the way of us having a good time, especially for Stevie and me," he says. "There's been a subtext of competition and animosity, which is the flip side of love, for a long time. I think it's driven both of us. Now is an appropriate time for us to acknowledge the context of our relationship and see what's left for us to do. If this is the beginning of the last act, let's wind up in a place that dignifies what we started."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...rview/1730393/
----------------------------------------------------------

Hungry for a big Mac splurge? After a three-year absence, Fleetwood Mac embarks on a 34-city North American tour starting April 4 in Columbus, Ohio. Tickets for the first run of shows go on sale Dec. 14 at LiveNation.com.

The band, founded in 1967, is celebrating the 35th anniversary of its trailblazing Rumours, which sold 40 million copies worldwide, held Billboard's No. 1 spot for 31 weeks and spawned top 10 hits Dreams, Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way and You Make Loving Fun.

Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, who joined in 1975, and namesakes Mick Fleetwood and John McVie last toured in 2009 and haven't released a studio album since 2003's Say You Will.

INTERVIEW: Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham

Yet new tunes may be shoehorned into a set list packed with classics.

"There were some tracks John, Mick and I cut with Stevie in mind while she was on the road," Buckingham says. "It's the most Fleetwood Mac-sounding stuff I've heard in a long time. We've been talking about releasing an EP, but I don't know how these moving parts will fit together yet."

In light of the band's deep catalog, the singer/guitarist isn't concerned about a second consecutive tour without a studio album.

"We'd be OK for one more round," he says. "People do want to hear that body of work and be transported to a certain time. The older you get and the longer the band has been around, you come to terms with the fact that no one's particularly interested in hearing anything too new. It's about what you do with what you've got."

Nicks envisions performing hits, rarities and maybe a couple of migrants, particularly the war-themed Soldier's Angel, a duet with Buckingham from her 2011 solo album, In Your Dreams.

"It's become a standard in my set, and I get a standing ovation every night," Nicks says. "Fans might like seeing Lindsey and I sing it. And it gives me a chance to ask people to help veterans who are so young and so messed up. I turn into an eighth-grade teacher."

Opting to extend her solo tour, Nicks was a holdout when the band wanted to hit the road early this year.

"I had to put my foot down and say, 'I'm not touring with you in 2012,' and it wasn't a very popular idea," she says. "I always think it's good for Fleetwood Mac to be away for three years. Two years is like, well, 'I just saw you.' My feeling was, let 2013 be the year of Fleetwood Mac and make it an exciting event."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...-tour/1730379/

---------------------------------------------------------------

After months of reunion rumors, Fleetwood Mac announced Tuesday that they'll return to the road next spring for an extensive tour that will take them all over the globe. The trek will kick off in Columbus, Ohio on April 4th; tickets go on sale December 14th.

"It's the perfect time to go back out," Stevie Nicks tells Rolling Stone. "2013 is going to be the year of Fleetwood Mac."

As was the case with their 2010 tour, the band is hitting the road without a new album to support. The set list will be built around Fleetwood Mac's large catalog of hits. "We always have to play 'Dreams,' 'Rhiannon,' 'Don't Stop,' 'Tusk,' 'Big Love,' 'Landslide' and all our most famous songs," says Lindsey Buckingham. "When you've gone through all your must-do's, that's 75% of your potential setlist. I think with the other 25%, there are areas of our catalog that are more under-explored. Maybe we'll play more songs from Tusk. I'd also like to see an extended middle portion of the show that's just me and Stevie. This is just me talking from the top of my head. For now, I have no particular vision of what this tour is going to be."

From the Archives: The True Life Confessions of Fleetwood Mac

The band begins rehearsals on February 15th, and at that point they'll hash out exactly what songs they're going to play. "We actually have two new Fleetwood Mac songs that I cut with Lindsey two weeks ago we might play," says Nicks. "I had a really good time working with him for four days at his house. I got to hang out with his family and his kids, his grown up kids, and really connect with him again. We’re pretty proud of what we have done, and we’re looking at it through the eyes of wisdom now, instead of through the eyes of jealousy and resentment and anger."

Only American dates are announced, but the group is planning on touring the whole world. "If everything goes will we'll be in Europe doing festivals this summer," says Nicks. "Then we'll actually tour Europe, which is different than just doing festivals. Then we might do fifteen or so shows in Australia."

Check in later this week for a detailed Q&A with Nicks and Buckingham where they discuss the upcoming tour, their failed attempt to record a new Fleetwood Mac album, the possibility of reforming their old duo Buckingham-Nicks and the many tensions that linger in their long relationship.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2E2JnMgwf
---------------------------------------------------

AliceLover 12-03-2012 05:48 PM

Rolling Stone just tweeted an article to check back later in the week for full interviews about "the failure tO record a new Fleetwood Mac album."

Ughhhhhh

CADreaming 12-03-2012 06:05 PM

Looks like we're getting Soldier's Angel. Bring back the mmm's!!!

WildHearted 12-03-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

"I know what I'm supposed to do. I know whose face to get in to make things happen."
Cue "Dancing" and "Stephanie."

KindOfWoman90 12-03-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHearted (Post 1068446)

^^ :lol: hehe

Aw I love these interviews. They are so dysfunctionally adorable!

Etisl 12-03-2012 07:06 PM

....So it's never about Mick and John being in a good place. They're always in a good

Great interview with Stevie Nicks ----

Favorite part of the interview.

So at this point there isn't any sort of tension or awkwardness. Everyone's all sort of on the same page?

Everybody is very good right now. I spent some time up at Lindsey's house two weeks ago and we worked on some music. Most of the time we just spent talking about our many stories that we have to tell since 1968, really '66 when we first met. So we spent like 80 percent of our time talking and 20 percent of our time working on some music. And it was really great and he's in a really good place. And he and I are in a really good place, so it's never about Mick and John being in a good place. They're always in a good place. They're happy guys. It's always the drama queens, me and Lindsey. So the drama queens have really calmed down and let a little bit of that drama go and tried to walk down the road of how lucky we are. And how lucky we are to still be friends and how lucky we are to still be able to sing great together. And that what we started as Buckingham Nicks in 1971, when we moved to Los Angeles, has brought us all the way to this place. And that we should drop the drama and try to really enjoy this because we worked very hard to get here.

Stevie hit it right on the nail....LOL, gotta love her. :nod::nod::nod:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...medium=twitter

britt0308 12-03-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

So right on..we called that didn't we?!

The subtlety never ends..and I'm drawn in every time!

WildHearted 12-03-2012 07:09 PM

New from Rolling Stone:

After months of reunion rumors, Fleetwood Mac announced Tuesday that they'll return to the road next spring for an extensive tour that will take them all over the globe. The trek will kick off in Columbus, Ohio on April 4th; tickets go on sale December 14th.

"It's the perfect time to go back out," Stevie Nicks tells Rolling Stone. "2013 is going to be the year of Fleetwood Mac."

As was the case with their 2010 tour, the band is hitting the road without a new album to support. The set list will be built around Fleetwood Mac's large catalog of hits. "We always have to play 'Dreams,' 'Rhiannon,' 'Don't Stop,' 'Tusk,' 'Big Love,' 'Landslide' and all our most famous songs," says Lindsey Buckingham. "When you've gone through all your must-do's, that's 75% of your potential setlist. I think with the other 25%, there are areas of our catalog that are more under-explored. Maybe we'll play more songs from Tusk. I'd also like to see an extended middle portion of the show that's just me and Stevie. This is just me talking from the top of my head. For now, I have no particular vision of what this tour is going to be."

The band begins rehearsals on February 15th, and at that point they'll hash out exactly what songs they're going to play. "We actually have two new Fleetwood Mac songs that I cut with Lindsey two weeks ago we might play," says Nicks. "I had a really good time working with him for four days at his house. I got to hang out with his family and his kids, his grown up kids, and really connect with him again. We’re pretty proud of what we have done, and we’re looking at it through the eyes of wisdom now, instead of through the eyes of jealousy and resentment and anger."

Only American dates are announced, but the group is planning on touring the whole world. "If everything goes will we'll be in Europe doing festivals this summer," says Nicks. "Then we'll actually tour Europe, which is different than just doing festivals. Then we might do fifteen or so shows in Australia."

Check in later this week for a detailed Q&A with Nicks and Buckingham where they discuss the upcoming tour, their failed attempt to record a new Fleetwood Mac album, the possibility of reforming their old duo Buckingham-Nicks and the many tensions that linger in their long relationshi
p.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2E2JnMgwf
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

WildHearted 12-03-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHearted (Post 1068457)
"I had a really good time working with him for four days at his house. I got to hang out with his family and his kids, his grown up kids, and really connect with him again.

Ah, so Stevie finally gets invited to Lindsey's house. I'm not imagining that she made a comment about that in the past, am I?

Phil 12-03-2012 07:17 PM

The "standing ovations" for that unmentionable dirge need to stop forthwith! If that doesn't get the message across, then resorting to heckling may be the only option available...

WildHearted 12-03-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1068459)
The "standing ovations" for that unmentionable dirge need to stop forthwith! If that doesn't get the message across, then resorting to heckling may be the only option available...

I love Soldier's Angel. Possibly my favorite song from IYD. :shrug:

CADreaming 12-03-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHearted (Post 1068458)
Ah, so Stevie finally gets invited to Lindsey's house. I'm not imagining that she made a comment about that in the past, am I?

Nope. She made that statement in the 2009 BBC Don't Stop documentary. :)

KindOfWoman90 12-03-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHearted (Post 1068457)
New from Rolling Stone:

Maybe we'll play more songs from Tusk. I'd also like to see an extended middle portion of the show that's just me and Stevie. This is just me talking from the top of my head. For now, I have no particular vision of what this tour is going to be."

I love it when he talks off the top of his head, do that more often, and oh yeah! follow through... :nod::cool::blob2:

AliceLover 12-03-2012 07:41 PM

In the EW interview she mentioned "Tango" and "Behind the Mask" as albums they look at for rehearsals....

vivfox 12-03-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceLover (Post 1068470)
In the EW interview she mentioned "Tango" and "Behind the Mask" as albums they look at for rehearsals....

Makes no sense why Lindsey would want to play songs from BTM. But if he does, I wouldn't mind hearing Freedom.

APerfectLie 12-03-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceLover (Post 1068470)

Not long enough apparently. They look at them and say "Aw hell, remember when we recorded all this sh!t? Let's do more songs from Rumours and Tusk!!!!!!!!!"

CADreaming 12-03-2012 08:19 PM

Has this been posted?

http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/12/03/f...cks-interview/

Stevie & Lindsey are both mentioning Tusk?? Well, sound the alarms they're agreeing already! The world must be ending. LOL.

michelej1 12-03-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APerfectLie (Post 1068474)
Not long enough apparently. They look at them and say "Aw hell, remember when we recorded all this sh!t?

Hilarious. And for Mirage, I'm sure it's not even hyperbole. Lindsey probably does refer to Mirage that way.

Michele

michelej1 12-03-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

I love the song too, but when she said she gets standing ovations every night for it, I was like: :cool:.

Not to say she hasn't gotten them, for SA, but every night??

In Your Dreams.

Michele

michelej1 12-03-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1068480)
Stevie & Lindsey are both mentioning Tusk?? Well, sound the alarms they're agreeing already! The world must be ending. LOL.

Does Lindsey ever stop mentioning Tusk? I think the others have to mention it every once in a while, just to get him to be quiet. He's like sitting in a corner rocking and they have to say, "Tusk, Lindsey, tusk," to make it stop.

Michele

michelej1 12-03-2012 08:55 PM

But this is why Elle has a good chance with WATL and I don't think Angel is out of the running and I . . . I don't want to say it but there are some people -- not the gal, but the guys -- whom it wouldn't be hard to convince to wrap her in velvet.

Michele

michelej1 12-03-2012 09:06 PM

I have a problem with them having a SnL only segment, in much the same way I had a problem with them going on Letterman alone and performing Big Love and Landslide alone for the HOF.

They are already doing Landslide. They can do SA, but the rest of the songs should incorporate Mick and John. Lindsey can start a song and then ditch the others for a long guitar solo if he wants, but other than Landslide or SA, he and Stevie don't need to perform without the other two musicians.

If they want to be by themselves, do a BN tour. You know, just get a room. I'm tired of it.

Michele

MikeInNV 12-03-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Have you heard it live? I can't explain why, but I enjoy it so much more in a concert setting.

elle 12-03-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068487)
I love the song too, but when she said she gets standing ovations every night for it, I was like: :cool:.

Not to say she hasn't gotten them, for SA, but every night??

In Your Dreams.

Michele

poor Stevie - standing ovations just after SA??

Lindsey gets standing ovations after EVERY. SINGLE. SONG. every night. although sometimes they would start only after Come and then go on for every single song after that. so i guess by that logic he should definitely do Come on Mac tour ;) :cool:

also, it's interesting that SN is listing every single Mac album she was involved with, even Make Me A Mask, but not Say You Will?? :rolleyes: i need to hear Tusk and Say You Will songs! and her not remembering that SYW even exists does not bode well for some of SYW songs that i would love to hear! :distress:

elle 12-03-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068489)
But this is why Elle has a good chance with WATL and I don't think Angel is out of the running and I . . . I don't want to say it but there are some people -- not the gal, but the guys -- whom it wouldn't be hard to convince to wrap her in velvet.

Michele

i don't believe it for a minute. they will not do WATL. :distress:

elle 12-03-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

lol. yeah.

michelej1 12-03-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1068493)
poor Stevie - standing ovations just after SA??

Of course, SA was quite a highlight at the Wiltern, for me.

Awww. I guess Stevie would lose her voice if she named every song of hers that got a standing ovation. It's a given going in that Rhiannon and Stand Back are going to bring the house down.

Michele

elle 12-03-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068496)
Of course, SA was quite a highlight at the Wiltern, for me.

it would be for me there too. Lindsey was there. :angel:

i wouldn't know when SN gets standing ovations, i was never at any of hers or FM shows, so you all have to fill me in. but i was there for 20 of Lindsey's. he always got standing Os after practically every song. at every OMS i've seen standing Os started with Come, if not before, and proceeded to the end. even though a lot of audience didn't even know all the songs, and they especially didn't know Come.

michelej1 12-03-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1068480)
Has this been posted?

So, now they only spent 70% of the time talking. Where did that lost 10% go? I don't know. It sounds illicit to me.

Michele

elle 12-03-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068498)
So, now they only spent 70% of the time talking. Where did that lost 10% go? I don't know. It sounds illicit to me.

Michele

70, 80 - what's the difference. it's somewhere there. playing with the little girls maybe?

michelej1 12-03-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1068497)
i wouldn't know when SN gets standing ovations, i was never at any of hers or FM shows, so you all have to fill me in.

She gets them ALL OF THE TIME. I would not try to measure the number she gets against his.

Michele

michelej1 12-03-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1068499)
70, 80 - what's the difference. it's somewhere there. playing with the little girls maybe?

It's of absolutely no consequence. I was only playing around with Dee.

Michele

elle 12-03-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068500)
She gets them ALL OF THE TIME. I would not try to measure the number she gets against his.

Michele

that's very nice, happy for her. :nod:

i'm just adding parts he obviously didn't feel the need to say, in case anybody's wondering. ;)

KindOfWoman90 12-03-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068491)
I have a problem with them having a SnL only segment, in much the same way I had a problem with them going on Letterman alone and performing Big Love and Landslide alone for the HOF.
They are already doing Landslide. They can do SA, but the rest of the songs should incorporate Mick and John. Lindsey can start a song and then ditch the others for a long guitar solo if he wants, but other than Landslide or SA, he and Stevie don't need to perform without the other two musicians.

If they want to be by themselves, do a BN tour. You know, just get a room. I'm tired of it.

Michele

:laugh: Well, I understand where you're coming from, but I suppose I envisioned it as an acoustic moment - nothing long, maybe 2 or 3 songs? I suppose if I knew, if it was promised to us, that they would do a BN tour then I could do without them performing a few songs alone during the FM tour. I just highly doubt a BN tour would ever happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068489)

Michele

I want all 3 please! :blob2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068498)

Michele

:lol: :cool: hmmm, very suspicious

michelej1 12-03-2012 09:34 PM

[This is from the Entertainment Weekly link posted above. I don't think Stevie understands the concept of laissez faire. She is going for something more along the lines of blase. As far as house dominance goes, I don't think Will is much of a minority.]

Stevie Nicks talks to EW about 2013 Fleetwood Mac tour, reconnecting with Lindsey Buckingham, and why she's addicted to 'Call Me Maybe'

by Leah Greenblatt, December 3, 2012, Entertainment Weekly
http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/12/03/f...cks-interview/

Some chains are unbreakable, even after nearly four decades: Fleetwood Mac announced today that they will embark on a 34-date tour in 2013, beginning April 4 in Columbus, Ohio, and wrapping June 12 in Detroit; tickets go on sale Dec. 14.

EW spoke to the legendary, always loquacious Stevie Nicks about heading back out on the road with bandmates Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, and John McVie — and what she’s been up to since we last talked to her.

EW: You spent most of 2011 promoting and touring behind your most recent solo album, In Your Dreams. How different is that experience from touring with Fleetwood Mac?

Stevie Nicks: My solo career is more like an intimate gathering, an intimate beautiful party at your home, and Fleetwood Mac is like a big, huge Christmas ball at a big huge ballroom somewhere. Fleetwood Mac is just way bigger and way grander. And I think that’s one of the reasons why it’s always been so good for me to be able to go back and forth. Because what I do is very, very different than what Fleetwood Mac does and vice versa. So when I come out of one and go into the other, it’s very new for me.

And I always try to make sure, I put my foot down, on a three-year time allowance. I think that Fleetwood Mac should not go out any sooner than every three years. Because I think that we need to get out of the spotlight. And it’s the same with me. It’s like, I was out for the last two years, actually promoting a record. And then Fleetwood Mac really wanted to go out at the beginning of 2012 and I said ‘No, I’m not doing it. I will give you 2013. 2013 will then be the year of Fleetwood Mac.”

Three years is a great amount of time to be away. Because Fleetwood Mac is a big-ticket item, and if you just saw us last year, or a year and a half ago, we may not be the one when you choose when the five or six big bands come through your city. And it’s always really good to give people that rest from you. To let them get away from you and you from them. So when that tour starts up, everybody’s super excited. And you’re not gonna be near as super excited if you just saw us at the beginning of last year. I think that it’s really worth it to do that. I will always feel that way, so I have to take a little bit of flak for it.

After all these years and tumultuous relationships within the band, have you figured out how to get along with each other while you’re touring?

Well, in Fleetwood Mac there’s always gonna be drama [laughs]. You’re never gonna get away from that. And I think if we ever got away from that everybody would be very bored. The audiences would certainly be bored. So it’s never gonna happen. But what we have done is, I spent almost a week up at Lindsey [Buckingham]’s house two or three weeks ago. We were working on some music. But we spent probably 70% of the time just talking. And talking about all our old stories. And telling my assistant all the old stories, going all the way back to 1966, when I first met Lindsey. And she’s there, her eyes as big as saucers listening to all this.

It’s really good therapy for Lindsey and I too, you know, and we have stories for hundreds of years that we can tell you. It was great for us. It really reminds Lindsey and I of how far we’ve come and how hard we worked. And how lucky we are to be where we are today. And that Lindsey and I are always gonna be that dramatic couple on stage. Because we just are. It’s who we are.

We’re never gonna be, there’s that French word, laissez faire, we’re never gonna be that. We’re always gonna be tumultuous and we’re always gonna be crazy, and because there’s a part of Lindsey’s and my relationship that is so ultra-special from back in the day, that you can never, no matter how old we get, it’s never gonna go away. He’s married now, he has three beautiful children, and a really lovely wife. He lives in girl world! Between his wife and his two daughters, he and his son are like, they’re a minority. It’s like, these are beautiful little girls and they have little beautiful girlfriends that are all over at the house all the time. So he lives in a world full of women.

They probably don’t know him as a rock star, he’s just Dad.

Absolutely! They don’t know anything about all that. They are from a new generation. So they have softened him.

Do you find that with things like Rumors charting again after those songs were featured in a Glee episode last year, that much younger people are coming to the shows?

Absolutely. When you look out over our audience, you’d be very, very surprised to see how many younger people there are there. And I think that’s not just Glee. It’s mainly because their parents played Fleetwood Mac. And played Stevie Nicks. And those kids heard the music. And they caught onto it a long time ago. And so little kids that were listening to it that are now 25, they’re there.

And at first, when we first went back out in 1998, after not touring for almost 10 years, we thought, “Well really, the only people that are gonna come see us are gonna be people that are our age.” And that was really kinda true, for like the first half. And then, all of a sudden, there’s like tons of really young people, and I can remember Lindsey saying, “Oh my God, I thought that only people our age would come. And I said to him, “Lindsey, build a field and they will come. They are here. So lucky you, you’re not playing to an audience of totally older people. Half of this audience is not even 20!”

I know that you keep up with current pop music — you did the intro for that Katy Perry video last year, and dueted with Taylor Swift at the 2010 Grammys. What have you been listening to lately?

Honestly, I listen to so many people that I couldn’t even… My mind goes blank. I’m walking around singing “Call Me Maybe” all the time. And I can’t help it. It’s like a curse. And I love it. I totally love it. And I kinda like it when I’m singing it by myself and I love it when she’s singing it. I have it on my iPod. And it’s gonna go on my future treadmill tape that I’m getting ready to make.

I listen to Rihanna, I listen to Mary J. Blige — I kinda go toward R&B, and always have, strangely enough. And all my music tastes are about music I play before I get ready to go on stage for three hours, and music that I play when I’m walking on the treadmill and that I want to dance to. I love ballads, and I love the slow wonderful love songs, but they’re not the stuff I listen to that much, because I need energy, I don’t need to curl up in a ball and cry.

So I go more for the soul music, modern and un-modern, all the way back to the ‘50s. Because that’s when I first started singing. I started singing to Top 40 music when I was in the 4th grade, and that was all R&B. That was black girl groups, and the Ronettes, and the Righteous Brothers. That’s kinda where my heart went, strangely enough, since I had a grandfather who sang country music for real, as a job. And everybody in my family would go, “Who are you? Really, why do you like this R&B music when you have a total country background.” And I’m going, “I don’t know. But I do. And I wish you guys would all be quiet because I’m singing.” [Laughs]

What about this tour will be different than your last one?

You know, we always do probably 20-21 songs, and so there’s always those 10 songs that we have to do. Which are the hits. The audience came and bought their ticket to see those songs. But then we have the other 10-11 songs to play with. So what we do is we know the songs we have to do, so we put them all in one column. And then we put all the songs from all the different records, from you know, Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, Tango in the Night, Behind the Mask, all those, and then we start choosing, well what song have you always wanted to do, John? And Mick? Is there a song you have a soft spot for? So then we start making a list of slightly more unfamiliar Fleetwood Mac songs.

And then, once we’ve made that list, we start sitting around with acoustic instruments and we start playing them. And you never know what’s gonna stick. Because something you might have tried in 2009 or 2003 that didn’t work, and everybody said “No, that’s not gonna go.” And all of a sudden, when we go into rehearsal in February, might totally work. And I think that’s because, it’s just the time. There might be something going on in the world that might really speak to a song on Tusk that we’ve never done on stage before. And so that’s always a really super exciting part. Because we know what 10 songs are gonna be, but we don’t know what the other 12 are gonna be.

Do you feel stuff out on the road at all?

Not so much. If there’s a song where the first night we play we’re like, that didn’t work, we drop it immediately. It doesn’t even get another chance. Because it’s worked out and played beautifully the first night. So when we go up through our first show, we are, and I always say, as Michael Jackson said, in that last film of his rehearsals, when they ask if he’s ever nervous, and he said, ‘No, because if you know what you’re doing there’s no reason to be nervous.” And that’s really true.

So when we walk on that stage on that first night, we have played that show twice a day for six weeks. And we know it. And we are playing all those songs really beautifully. And we know all our parts. It just depends on, you can kind of feel what ticks the boxes of the audience and what doesn’t. There’s a song that we kinda feel was a little bit of a lull – it’s gone. It’s just gone. And then we have, we always have that extra five songs, that we know, and we know people love, and we can always pull a song back. So it’s very exciting.

I mean, because it is big, and because it is grand, it’s almost like it’s more dressy. It’s not casual. There’s nothing casual about it. It’s not casual Friday. It’s fancy Saturday. So you put on your black velvet and your high black velvet heels and you do your hair and you put on a lot of beautiful makeup and that’s Fleetwood Mac. Everybody knows they’re going to a big, dressy party.

michelej1 12-03-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 (Post 1068503)
:laugh: Well, I understand where you're coming from, but I suppose I envisioned it as an acoustic moment - nothing long, maybe 2 or 3 songs? I suppose if I knew, if it was promised to us, that they would do a BN tour then I could do without them performing a few songs alone during the FM tour. I just highly doubt a BN tour would ever happen.

I'm happy with BN songs, but they can do them with the band.

Michele

KindOfWoman90 12-03-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1068506)
I'm happy with BN songs, but they can do them with the band.

Michele

Love the compromise! :) Yes. However, I would love another acoustic number besides Landslide - which is why I got so excited :nod:

elle 12-03-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 (Post 1068507)
Love the compromise! :) Yes. However, I would love another acoustic number besides Landslide - which is why I got so excited :nod:

you will have it. Big Love. maybe even NGBA :p

KindOfWoman90 12-03-2012 09:48 PM

I am now going to refer to Saturdays as "fancy Saturdays" lol love it!

KindOfWoman90 12-03-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1068508)
you will have it. Big Love. maybe even NGBA :p

Aw I know, but I want some BN ;) I'm difficult to please