The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mike Campbell on comments on joining FM (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57778)

lisarod 04-11-2018 10:49 PM

Mike Campbell on comments on joining FM

Just read on TomPettyOfficial Instagram a statement from Mike Campbell regarding his admiration and respect for Lindsey's contributions to FM. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on that. I've been a member here since '97 and have rarely posted. I'm truly disappointed and sad on about Lindsey's firing! I love Stevie and I sure hope she wasn't behind it...:distress:

elle 04-11-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisarod (Post 1222743)
Just read on TomPettyOfficial Instagram a statement from Mike Campbell regarding his admiration and respect for Lindsey's contributions to FM. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on that. I've been a member here since '97 and have rarely posted. I'm truly disappointed and sad on about Lindsey's firing! I love Stevie and I sure hope she wasn't behind it...:distress:

power to Mike.

the other 4 do not deserve him. especially Mick.

HomerMcvie 04-11-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1222745)
power to Mike.

the other 4 do not deserve him. especially Mick.

Mick is a GD piece of work. He and Stevie deserve each other.

lisarod 04-11-2018 10:58 PM

It was a truly classy statement and I don't think these divas deserve him. I hope they appreciate him. They sure didn't appreciate Lindsey

dreamsunwind 04-12-2018 12:37 AM

It is a nice statement. Classier than anything we'll get from any Mac member. And it makes sense because Lindsey and the Heartbreakers have been friends for a long time. I think people forget it's not just Stevie who was close friends with Tom and his band, but Lindsey too. Tom especially loved Lindsey and his music. He said once that he tried to get Lindsey to join the Heartbreakers because he didn't want to be a frontman anymore but Lindsey turned him down.

button-lip 04-12-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamsunwind (Post 1222763)
It is a nice statement. Classier than anything we'll get from any Mac member. And it makes sense because Lindsey and the Heartbreakers have been friends for a long time. I think people forget it's not just Stevie who was close friends with Tom and his band, but Lindsey too. Tom especially loved Lindsey and his music. He said once that he tried to get Lindsey to join the Heartbreakers because he didn't want to be a frontman anymore but Lindsey turned him down.

And Lindsey turned down Tom's offer because he truly loved his FM family. That's what makes all this goddamn mess harder to deal with.

Since Monday I have been wondering what Tom's reaction would have been to his friend's firing.

lisarod 04-12-2018 12:56 PM

I keep thinking about what started my fandom of FM in 1997. It was the incredible chemistry this band had and especially the chemistry Stevie and Lindsey shared. They seemed to have truly made up and gotten past all the heartbreak and anger. Boy was I wrong! Why did Stevie become so bitter and full of venom? I went to the AHI benefit in Phoenix soon after The Dance tour and Lindsey was her guest. While he was speaking about their musical journey together she had her arms wrapped around him and was crying. I can't believe she is so cold now! I'm still in shock!

FuzzyPlum 04-12-2018 01:28 PM

Just reporting of Mike Campbells Instagram message;
http://www.wjbdradio.com/music-news/...-fleetwood-mac

Mike Campbell says Lindsey Buckingham is "no longer with Fleetwood Mac"

Posted on 4/12/2018 11:19 AM

Fleetwood Mac recently announced that founding Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell will be joining the band for an as-yet-unannounced fall tour and that he, along with Crowded House singer Neil Finn, would be replacing Lindsey Buckingham. While Fleetwood Mac hasn't confirmed whether Buckingham has officially exited the group, a new statement from Campbell suggests that Lindsey has.

"Though I was sad to hear Lindsey Buckingham is no longer with Fleetwood Mac, I am honored and excited to join the band," Campbell writes in a message posted on Petty and the Heartbreakers' Facebook page. "Lindsey is one of my favorite musical artists. A true genius at songwriting and guitar playing. I intend to honor his songs while at the same time bring my musicality to the band."

Mike, whose gig with The Heartbreakers sadly came to an end when Petty died last October, adds, "After one rehearsal [with Fleetwood Mac] I can tell it's going to be an amazing collaboration. I am also very happy to have an opportunity to play with Neil Finn, who I greatly admire. Fleetwood Mac not only has one of the greatest rhythm sections in rock history, it also has two of the finest voices and songwriters in Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie. I am looking forward to the tour with great anticipation."

After the announcement was made about Buckingham not taking part in Fleetwood Mac's upcoming tour, Variety reported that, according to an inside source, Buckingham was fired over a disagreement regarding the trek.

The magazine says the source claimed Buckingham wanted to work on his solo material this year, while the other band members were eager to head out on tour, and when he wouldn't commit to the trek, the group decided to proceed without him.

lisarod 04-12-2018 01:37 PM

Thanks for posting the article FuzzyPlum. I'm not too familiar with how to post links and quote articles since I'm mainly a lurker. :wavey:

NotonRodeo 04-12-2018 01:39 PM

Egad. Only ONE rehearsal and he thinks this is going to work out?

And honor Lindsey's songs. Karaoke GYOW and SHN, here we go...

Certainly a far more dignified statement than that of the band of course. I bet the icon would never allow the band to release a statement honoring Lindsey's genius.

FuzzyPlum 04-12-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotonRodeo (Post 1222844)
Egad. Only ONE rehearsal and he thinks this is going to work out?

And honor Lindsey's songs. Karaoke GYOW and SHN, here we go...

Certainly a far more dignified statement than that of the band of course. I bet the icon would never allow the band to release a statement honoring Lindsey's genius.

Its just as well Mike is her friend and her pick for the band. Making a comment like that about Lindsey- he's lucky not to be kicked out already.

NotonRodeo 04-12-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1222849)
Its just as well Mike is her friend and her pick for the band. Making a comment like that about Lindsey- he's lucky not to be kicked out already.

:thumbsup:

bombaysaffires 04-12-2018 02:48 PM

we don't know the specifics, so it's just as likely that he got blindsided by al this... the band got in a jam i.e. lindsey not touring, however that happened which is still a mystery, and they got in a bit of a panic thinking, crap who can we get? and stevie reached out to mike. we don't know if he was initially hesitant about it and they had to coax him a bit.... I imagine getting together and playing was part of the process before he was able to say yeah ok I'll do it..... he's caught in the middle of things not of his own doing

ryan4136 04-12-2018 06:06 PM

Imagine is they initially offered him a spot as an extra guitarist with him assuming LB was still in the band, then the bomb drops.

Macfan4life 04-12-2018 06:15 PM

Stevie said:
You got lucky babe, you got lucky babe, when I found you