The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "A new twist on an old song with my ex- husband actually singing" (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44857)

Kena 10-06-2010 10:05 PM

"A new twist on an old song with my ex- husband actually singing"

I watched The Dance dvd for the 10,000000th time last night.:] It was amazing as always but it reminded me about something I've been curious about for a while. I know Christine said John is singing during Say You Love Me but I can't hear him. Is there any specific part of the song that you can hear him for sure? Can anybody do some fancy technical ninja trick that adjusts the sound so we can hear him louder or just his voice?

I searched old threads and didn't find anything about this so please don't give me lashes with a wet noodle if I didn't look hard enough...

vivfox 10-06-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kena (Post 913965)
I know Christine said John is singing during Say You Love Me but I can't hear him. Is there any specific part of the song that you can hear him for sure? Can anybody do some fancy technical ninja trick that adjusts the sound so we can hear him louder or just his voice?

Where's Brandon when you need him? Is he at the Imperial Hotel with Shane?

MacShadowsBall 10-06-2010 10:28 PM

I knew exactly what you were referencing just by the title of the thread! I also rewatched the Dance dvd while cleaning Monday. I'm thinking I read or heard somewhere that John was basically just "vocalizing" the bass line. :shrug: If that actually makes since...maybe it was on some Q&A or an interview on Youtube. I really can't remember for sure. :sorry:

mylittledemon 10-06-2010 10:40 PM

He isn't actually singing the lyrics to the song ... it seems he's humming and repeating his own bass lines

TrueFaith77 10-07-2010 06:34 AM

...along with playing the bass? or as a substitute? why?

mylittledemon 10-08-2010 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 913991)
...along with playing the bass? or as a substitute? why?

For the same reason people sing "Doo wop" or "Sha la la la" or anything of that nature. It's a support for the song, and probably gave the song a bit more "umpf"... after all, Mick wasn't playing a standard drum kit on that one.

Ulpian 10-08-2010 02:19 PM

From John's Q&A on this very site:

"Who convinced you to sing background vocals on "Say You Love Me" during the Dance and how were they able to do that? Have you done any other vocals during your career with the Mac? (Amy, , Maryland, U.S.A.)

Hi Amy,
Thanks for the questions. I think it was Chris who got me into the vocal bit. Maybe for a dare. It wasn't really "singing" more like vocalising the bass line. I did do a bit on one of the "B" sides. "Cool Water" I believe.

For some reason I was never asked again. Probably they didn't want to be "upstaged". Strange, Huh? Thanks again! McVie"

:D

sjpdg 10-09-2010 12:54 AM

If you listen to the track very closely you can hear John in the background vocalizing the bass lines while playing at the same time. Technically, he's singing. I thought it was a pretty cool twist on the song actually, something different for a change. I liked it.

iamnotafraid 10-09-2010 02:43 AM

If you listen in Dolby Digital 5.1, you can hear John's voice
in the left rear speaker singing um bop a um bop a mow mow...

PenguinHead 10-11-2010 07:23 PM

Off topic, but I like that John mentioned the song "Cool Water." That has to be one of Fleetwood Mac's most obscure and forgotten b-side. It was the b-side from Gypsy...or was it Hold Me?

golddustwoman77 10-22-2010 02:29 PM

......I always thought this was a cute exchange before the song too.

"Come on Johnny. Can't get out of this one." Christine
"If my mommy could see me now...." John

holidayroad 10-22-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead (Post 914662)
Off topic, but I like that John mentioned the song "Cool Water." That has to be one of Fleetwood Mac's most obscure and forgotten b-side. It was the b-side from Gypsy...or was it Hold Me?

The b-side of 'Gypsy' is correct.

APerfectLie 10-23-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulpian (Post 914192)
From John's Q&A on this very site:

"Who convinced you to sing background vocals on "Say You Love Me" during the Dance and how were they able to do that? Have you done any other vocals during your career with the Mac? (Amy, , Maryland, U.S.A.)

Hi Amy,
Thanks for the questions. I think it was Chris who got me into the vocal bit. Maybe for a dare. It wasn't really "singing" more like vocalising the bass line. I did do a bit on one of the "B" sides. "Cool Water" I believe.

For some reason I was never asked again. Probably they didn't want to be "upstaged". Strange, Huh? Thanks again! McVie"

:D

Wait, wait, wait. John had a Q&A on The Ledge?!

ButterCookie 10-23-2010 01:15 PM

He certainly did.

My favourite question was What is you favourite FM Album cover?

To which he answered "Bare Trees. What an accomplished photographer!"

APerfectLie 10-23-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 916413)
He certainly did.

My favourite question was What is you favourite FM Album cover?

To which he answered "Bare Trees. What an accomplished photographer!"

Link?

(10char)