The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   do we want any more polls , yes or no! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=47374)

Norton 05-22-2011 07:36 AM

do we want any more polls , yes or no!

Please give your response after careful consideration.

Silver Springs 05-22-2011 07:47 AM

Subtle? Definitely not. Passive aggressive? Most definitely. Err consider erring your opinion, instead of giving people no option but to either agree with you or ignore you completely?

chriskisn 05-22-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norton (Post 987480)
Please give your response after careful consideration.

Almost as good as my Bekka Bramlett poll :laugh:

TrueFaith77 05-22-2011 08:57 AM

I know I'm a poll culprit, but I really do put them up with the best intention

chriskisn 05-22-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 987499)
I know I'm a poll culprit, but I really do put them up with the best intention

I guess though there are polls that generate discussion and those that don't. Then there are the polls that just get your "post count" up. I guess it depends what your intentions are. Most of the time when I have created a poll (Bekka poll excepted) I thought "I wonder whether everyone else feels the same way as I do, or what their opinion is?"

If you do it for the right reasons then I don't see that it anyone will be too annoyed...

holidayroad 05-23-2011 07:39 AM

I'm unsure what's so wrong about polls. Usually these encourage discussion about the Pre-Rumours albums, which should be welcome. I'd rather see polls and some comments than almost no posts in this part of the forum!

sharksfan2000 05-23-2011 09:15 AM

OK, here's my two cents. I don't have a problem with polls per se, but I have just about zero interest in polls about "favorite" this or "least favorite" that. Having those polls on the board doesn't bother me, but I pretty much just ignore them - they're not for me. What do I care what someone else's vote is for favorite or least favorite song? And why should anyone care what my vote would be? That's just me, but I'm pretty sure a bunch of other people on this board have similar feelings.

Now if those polls generated much useful discussion, that would be beneficial, but there's been little or no discussion - probably because there's not that much interest in the polls. I've checked in on a few of the poll-related discussions and found very little of interest to me. There are not that many albums and songs from this period and most of them - good and bad - have already been discussed on the board here, in many cases more than once. So unless you're bringing something new to the discussion - and I don't think "favorite" or "least favorite" polls on their own particularly encourage new angles of looking at the songs - it's mostly just rehashing the same old things.

I'm all for seeing more traffic on this forum if there's anything of substance to it, but putting up polls and such just for the sake of adding more threads to the board doesn't help in that regard. We do see some very interesting posts now and then - I think wetcamelfood's post about "Man Of The World" is quite intriguing and I'd love to see some responses from people who were around at that time. But I think it's just the nature of this particular board - and of many of the people who participate in it - that it will always have way fewer posts than many of the others. And that's fine with me. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.

As David Byrne said:
"You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again?"

jeremy spencer 05-23-2011 10:05 AM

It seems to me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 (Post 987785)
OK, here's my two cents. I don't have a problem with polls per se, but I have just about zero interest in polls about "favorite" this or "least favorite" that. Having those polls on the board doesn't bother me, but I pretty much just ignore them - they're not for me. What do I care what someone else's vote is for favorite or least favorite song? And why should anyone care what my vote would be? That's just me, but I'm pretty sure a bunch of other people on this board have similar feelings.

Now if those polls generated much useful discussion, that would be beneficial, but there's been little or no discussion - probably because there's not that much interest in the polls. I've checked in on a few of the poll-related discussions and found very little of interest to me. There are not that many albums and songs from this period and most of them - good and bad - have already been discussed on the board here, in many cases more than once. So unless you're bringing something new to the discussion - and I don't think "favorite" or "least favorite" polls on their own particularly encourage new angles of looking at the songs - it's mostly just rehashing the same old things.

I'm all for seeing more traffic on this forum if there's anything of substance to it, but putting up polls and such just for the sake of adding more threads to the board doesn't help in that regard. We do see some very interesting posts now and then - I think wetcamelfood's post about "Man Of The World" is quite intriguing and I'd love to see some responses from people who were around at that time. But I think it's just the nature of this particular board - and of many of the people who participate in it - that it will always have way fewer posts than many of the others. And that's fine with me. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.

As David Byrne said:
"You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again?"

... that the number of actual replies or responses to them tells the tale. Especially the 'least fave' etc. type of polls.

PenguinHead 05-23-2011 08:35 PM

There has been a glut of polls as of lately! There are a few posters who have developed a very poll-happy obsession. They mean well, but it's a bit too much. So much so that it's become meaningless. I've stopped responding to them a few months ago.

That said, I'm glad you started this poll! I've been reluctant to actually express my opinions about it. I'm not a fan of the "survivor" polls either.

By the way, how does one even start a poll? I have no clue!

PenguinHead 05-23-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Springs (Post 987482)
Subtle? Definitely not. Passive aggressive? Most definitely. Err consider erring your opinion, instead of giving people no option but to either agree with you or ignore you completely?

I think you missed the point. It's rather clever, and I found it very funny!

chriskisn 05-26-2011 11:21 PM

Actually I was just wondering what happened to the "extra" Jeremy and Danny songs poll?

How come we had a poll for the "extra" PG songs but not the others. There are probably more extra JS songs than anyone else.

Was it just too hard????

THD 05-27-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead (Post 987916)
I think you missed the point. It's rather clever, and I found it very funny!

Yeah and it's getting really exciting now- it's amost neck and neck !
Sorry just noticed it's closed
so better make that :
It was so exciting -it was a photo finish!

MacShadowsBall 05-27-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 988823)
Actually I was just wondering what happened to the "extra" Jeremy and Danny songs poll?

How come we had a poll for the "extra" PG songs but not the others. There are probably more extra JS songs than anyone else.

Was it just too hard????

I'll do Jeremy's tomorrow and then Danny's after Bare Trees. :)

chriskisn 05-27-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall (Post 988938)
I'll do Jeremy's tomorrow and then Danny's after Bare Trees. :)

Cool. Not that I'm voting but it just seemed unfair, especially to Jeremy who probably sang more songs that didn't get on the official albums than anyone else.

To point you in the right direction can I offer the following albums to consider

The Original Fleetwood Mac
Showbiz Blues
Blues Jam in Chicago
The Live in Boston 3 disc set
The Vaudeville Years
Shrine 69
Madison Blues
Live at the BBC

Oh and if anyone votes for Dragonfly or Purple Dancer (and should that be a Jeremy song or a Danny song?) then I'll personally come through the internet and get you! :)

Wouter Vuijk 05-28-2011 06:21 PM

More intriguing would be a poll concerning live bootleg recordings, soundboard as well as audience. That sure could bring up some new discussions, I guess.:wavey: