The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey's influence on Say You Will (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25158)

Ghost_Tracker 01-26-2006 11:57 PM

Lindsey's influence on Say You Will

HI all, I'm kinda trepassing here from the Stevie Nicks sites, but I'll -
UH-oh here comes the GUARD dog! :lol: Gotta RUN! Talk amongst yourselves - I'll give you a topic - "'Say You Will' was neither a Fleetwood Mac album nor a work of Stevie Nicks', but a SOLO album of Lindsey Buckingham's, disguised as a Fleetwood Mac album -discuss!" Gotta RUN, BYE!

I'm gonna be in SOOOOO much trouble with the "Nicksians!" :]

dontlookdown 01-27-2006 11:04 AM

totally agree. and thank god for Lindsey because without him, this record would have been garbage.

Bandon 01-27-2006 08:20 PM

Although he added his magical touch in many places, I was dissapointed by much of the CD (I'm ready for the slams, and really don't care.). It's really a matter of taste. I like his mainstream rock, pop sound better than his "quirky", "experimental" stuff. Also, "Smile At You" sounded like a mechanical computer generated tune without depth. I was so waiting in anticipation to hear that song finally on a CD and was completely disappointed. I can't even listen to the "Say You Will" version. I do love "Steal Your Heart Away" and "Miranda". I wish he would have put "Twist of Fate" and "Down On Rodeo" on the CD, and based on many previous threads, I'm not the only one. :shrug:

Sahara 01-28-2006 09:35 AM

It's a great record, I love it to pieces. I think his influence on it was very strong, but not enough to call it a disguised solo record. He said that it sounds a bit more 'masculine' and I have to agree --- it's a sort of harsher sound than the previous stuff, maybe because of Christine's absense?
Even Stevie's songs have a distinctly different feel to them than stuff she's released elsewhere. It's a much harder sort of rock than the usual.

Just my two cents' worth.

Jyqm 01-28-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
"'Say You Will' was neither a Fleetwood Mac album nor a work of Stevie Nicks', but a SOLO album of Lindsey Buckingham's, disguised as a Fleetwood Mac album -discuss!"

Well, obviously nearly all of Lindsey's songs on the album are songs that he recorded for a solo project, most of them with only very minor changes made during the "Fleetwood Mac" phase. So you can very easily make the case that Lindsey's songs are more or less solo tunes.

But I don't understand how you could make the same claim about Stevie's. After all, the songs are all written and sung by Stevie, with Lindsey, Mick and John performing the music and Lindsey producing. If that doesn't make them Fleetwood Mac songs, what would?

Jyqm 01-28-2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandon
Although he added his magical touch in many places, I was dissapointed by much of the CD (I'm ready for the slams, and really don't care.). It's really a matter of taste. I like his mainstream rock, pop sound better than his "quirky", "experimental" stuff. Also, "Smile At You" sounded like a mechanical computer generated tune without depth. I was so waiting in anticipation to hear that song finally on a CD and was completely disappointed. I can't even listen to the "Say You Will" version.

I'll give you quirky, but I don't think anything on any Fleetwood Mac album has ever been "experimental."

But I'm not a very big fan of "Smile At You," either (except for John's bassline, which is fantastic). It does indeed sound very mechanical and lacking the depth of emotion present in all of the old demos. I'm not sure that's entirely Lindsey's fault, though. I'd lay at least part of the blame on Stevie.
First, she agreed to go along with this production direction. But more importantly, I think the lack of passion in her vocal is almost directly a result of the fact that the song was written twenty-five years prior to it being recorded for Say You Will. She's clearly very far removed from the anger that fueled her earlier demo recordings of the song, and that really shows in the final result.

Quote:

I do love "Steal Your Heart Away" and "Miranda". I wish he would have put "Twist of Fate" and "Down On Rodeo" on the CD, and based on many previous threads, I'm not the only one. :shrug:
I could live without "Second Hand News #2" but I would have loved to see "Down On Rodeo" on there also. Perhaps he's saving it for whenever he thinks he'll actually release a solo album. He's clearly still interested in the song, as he performed it for Soundstage, along with "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind," which I also would have loved to see on Say You Will. Ditto "Shuffle Riff."

shackin'up 01-28-2006 03:10 PM

to typecast Twist of Fate as SHN#2 you really don't do the song right. It's energy is amazing and that melodyline is something completely different from SHN.

by the way, I'm glad lindsey did not add those songs to SYW. TOF with Shuffle riff, GOS and DOR, still are a cracker opening for a hitalbum.

shackin'up 01-28-2006 03:17 PM

for me, mick and john backbone the record. So it's a FM-record.

and lindsey produced the whole thing including 9 songs he had no songwritingcredits on: so it's never a solorecord. Neither a LB- nor (what would be very laughable to declare) a SN-solorecord. It's a FM-studio-album and the best one they made in 20 years.

Jyqm 01-28-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up
It's a FM-studio-album and the best one they made in 20 years.

Unfortunately, not all that difficult a feat, and with a paltry amount of competition!

Gailh 01-28-2006 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
HI all, I'm kinda trepassing here from the Stevie Nicks sites, but I'll -
UH-oh here comes the GUARD dog! :lol: Gotta RUN! Talk amongst yourselves - I'll give you a topic - "'Say You Will' was neither a Fleetwood Mac album nor a work of Stevie Nicks', but a SOLO album of Lindsey Buckingham's, disguised as a Fleetwood Mac album -discuss!" Gotta RUN, BYE!

I'm gonna be in SOOOOO much trouble with the "Nicksians!" :]

I'm trespassing here from the Christine Board and my view is that SYW was Buckingham-Nicks backed by Fleetwood & McVie

Gail

Jyqm 01-28-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh
I'm trespassing here from the Christine Board and my view is that SYW was Buckingham-Nicks backed by Fleetwood & McVie

So... Fleetwood Mac, then?

JazmenFlowers 01-28-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlookdown
totally agree. and thank god for Lindsey because without him, this record would have been garbage.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

that's hardly the case. I defer to all of Jyqm's comments.

Sahara 01-28-2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh

Gail

Um ... yup. Kinda. :nod:

shackin'up 01-28-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyqm
Unfortunately, not all that difficult a feat, and with a paltry amount of competition!

true, but i didn't say it was difficult. it just is, imo.

shackin'up 01-28-2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReFleetwoodMac
I don't see a flaw in this logic.

:thumbsup:

me neither.