The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mac Enthusiasm secrets (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57704)

iamnotafraid 01-31-2018 12:17 AM

Mac Enthusiasm secrets

Got a question for you guys and gals.
Mostly for those that have been fans
for ten years or more of the various
versions of Fleetwood Mac and solo
careers of it's members.

How do you keep the fire burning?

Believe it or not I've stopped myself
so many times from finishing a post
that could (and should) be considered
negative.

My example would be about Stevie.
She brought me to the Mac after her
Wild Heart album came out in 1983.
Yet she is the one who now I'm the
most tired of. Without being too mean,
hearing her talk makes me cringe. Her
wasted time throughout her career, which
I consider the period of after "The Other
Side Of The Mirror" (being generous) until
"The Dance". The one exception for me
would be the "SoundStage" concert.
Then her artistry went back into hiding.

Even to her less that flattering clothing.
And I'll tread lightly here - but whatever
she's doing to her face, I wish she would
stop. It's starting to look like wax.

My love for Fleetwood Mac ended after
"Say You Will" the album and tour. I
thought Lindsey did well through "Under
The Skin" album and tour. Christine,
really nothing new since "The Dance".

I will admit Christine is the one who has
kept her looks. Even at the recent Music
Cares event I though she looked surprisingly
good for a woman her age.

So I'm just curious as to how you guys keep
your love/like for them going all these years?

sodascouts 01-31-2018 06:26 AM

Listening to their music.

sleepless child 01-31-2018 07:16 AM

I was going to say the same thing. Listening to their music. I don't always like what they do. I hated that they didn't do an album after Chris came back. I guess I mean Stevie didn't want to. It has made me a little less "obsessed" with her in recent years. But I still love them. I have over 40 years invested in them.

SisterNightroad 01-31-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1220297)
Listening to their music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1220298)
I was going to say the same thing. Listening to their music.

Same. And stay away for a bit from places online where people talk about the band.

elle 01-31-2018 10:54 AM

new music. Lindsey has been pretty good with that in this century, either solo, even a few with the Mac, and of course BuckVie last year. hope that continues this year and we get that promised solo album!

i don't listen to the band much in between new releases. except if they play something different / interesting on tour, then i listen to those live performances.

i have high hopes for Lindsey's solo tour this year - if new album does come out we will for sure hear those new songs. and i have the whole list of LB's solo songs and his Tusk / SYW deep cuts that i desperately want to hear live (Rodeo! TTFTS! WATL! WMYTYTO!) so hope at least some of those he adds on his setlist.

AnthonyMI 01-31-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1220296)
Got a question for you guys and gals.
Mostly for those that have been fans
for ten years or more of the various
versions of Fleetwood Mac and solo
careers of it's members.

How do you keep the fire burning?

Believe it or not I've stopped myself
so many times from finishing a post
that could (and should) be considered
negative.

My example would be about Stevie.
She brought me to the Mac after her
Wild Heart album came out in 1983.
Yet she is the one who now I'm the
most tired of. Without being too mean,
hearing her talk makes me cringe. Her
wasted time throughout her career, which
I consider the period of after "The Other
Side Of The Mirror" (being generous) until
"The Dance". The one exception for me
would be the "SoundStage" concert.
Then her artistry went back into hiding.

Even to her less that flattering clothing.
And I'll tread lightly here - but whatever
she's doing to her face, I wish she would
stop. It's starting to look like wax.

My love for Fleetwood Mac ended after
"Say You Will" the album and tour. I
thought Lindsey did well through "Under
The Skin" album and tour. Christine,
really nothing new since "The Dance".

I will admit Christine is the one who has
kept her looks. Even at the recent Music
Cares event I though she looked surprisingly
good for a woman her age.

So I'm just curious as to how you guys keep
your love/like for them going all these years?

Similar thoughts here. Last five years or so I have grown frustrated with Stevie. I think that 2001 to 2011 she did 10 years of NO creative output. Other than SYW She only did Greatest Hits and Soundstage and guest spots with Tom Petty. Then she did In Your Dreams and 24 K G but is back to "whoa is me, nobody buys my albums, whaaaaa, I'm alone, boohoo, all my friends are dying, sad angel" schtick. She's wasting time AGAIN. If history repeats itself we will get another Stevie solo album in 2024.

I am happy that MCVie and buckingham have gotten comfortable and continued their output. LB is insane. His output last decade was 1000% higher than anything before. Fatherhood and Family has been good for him. Stevie lives in the past. How many songs will we have to endure of Tom Petty telling her to Write Her Songs Herself and NOT By that friggen Doll? Girl... i love you, but you need to MOVE ON.

Anyhow, yes. the music is great. And the Box Sets, even Stevie's have been GREAT for diving back in and rediscovering the music. I am VERY MUCH looking forward to Rock a Little and hopefully Other Side of the Mirror box sets. There should be a whole second album worth of outtakes on Rock A Little, and even though Other Side of the Mirror era had some real DUDS like The Tragedy of Ones Own Soul and Lilly Girl, there should be some good covers like "Cry Wolf" that were recorded and attempted for that album.

ricohv 01-31-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyMI (Post 1220302)
Similar thoughts here. Last five years or so I have grown frustrated with Stevie. I think that 2001 to 2011 she did 10 years of NO creative output. Other than SYW She only did Greatest Hits and Soundstage and guest spots with Tom Petty. Then she did In Your Dreams and 24 K G but is back to "whoa is me, nobody buys my albums, whaaaaa, I'm alone, boohoo, all my friends are dying, sad angel" schtick. She's wasting time AGAIN. If history repeats itself we will get another Stevie solo album in 2024.

I am happy that MCVie and buckingham have gotten comfortable and continued their output. LB is insane. His output last decade was 1000% higher than anything before. Fatherhood and Family has been good for him. Stevie lives in the past. How many songs will we have to endure of Tom Petty telling her to Write Her Songs Herself and NOT By that friggen Doll? Girl... i love you, but you need to MOVE ON.

Anyhow, yes. the music is great. And the Box Sets, even Stevie's have been GREAT for diving back in and rediscovering the music. I am VERY MUCH looking forward to Rock a Little and hopefully Other Side of the Mirror box sets. There should be a whole second album worth of outtakes on Rock A Little, and even though Other Side of the Mirror era had some real DUDS like The Tragedy of Ones Own Soul and Lilly Girl, there should be some good covers like "Cry Wolf" that were recorded and attempted for that album.

I'd LOVE deluxe versions of RAL & OSOTM-but do you really think we'll see them? Sadly, I don't. All focus has been on the first 2 albums for years. Imagine the responseif Stevie opened a concert with Talk To Me (I think Waddy suggested this recently) or Rooms On Fire! But we all know it will never happen. Stevie acts like those albums never happened. :rolleyes:
Ricoh

FuzzyPlum 01-31-2018 01:28 PM

I tend to dip in and out of different eras of Fleetwood Mac. Obviously there are big differences in the music and its like listening to different bands (essentially I am listening to different bands). Most of the time I like MJCSL but I'll get bored and go through a Bob Welsh phase. Then I'll get bored and get a blues fix. Then I'll play Behind The Mask. On the odd occasion I'll play Time. I don't play solo records much, though obviously I listened to Buckingham McVie loads.

Obviously I'll listen to a lot of other music inbetween- Beatles, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, REM, Paul Weller/The Jam, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Stone Roses, soul, reggae, two-tone...

...but I'm never far away from Fleetwood Mac in some incarnation. Varying the eras keeps it fresh when you go back to the big 5 albums.

jbrownsjr 01-31-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1220305)
I tend to dip in and out of different eras of Fleetwood Mac. Obviously there are big differences in the music and its like listening to different bands (essentially I am listening to different bands). Most of the time I like MJCSL but I'll get bored and go through a Bob Welsh phase. Then I'll get bored and get a blues fix. Then I'll play Behind The Mask. On the odd occasion I'll play Time. I don't play solo records much, though obviously I listened to Buckingham McVie loads.

Obviously I'll listen to a lot of other music inbetween- Beatles, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, REM, Paul Weller/The Jam, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Stone Roses, soul, reggae, two-tone...

...but I'm never far away from Fleetwood Mac in some incarnation. Varying the eras keeps it fresh when you go back to the big 5 albums.

I'm stuck on David Gilmour LIve in Pompeii. I saw the show in Hollywood and I'm wearing it out.

FuzzyPlum 01-31-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1220306)
I'm stuck on David Gilmour LIve in Pompeii. I saw the show in Hollywood and I'm wearing it out.

Roger Waters is THE MAN

sue 01-31-2018 02:36 PM

I have the radio on a lot, so I listen to a loads of other music....BUT on
Saturday, I have a Mac fest, unfortunately shared with husband who gorges on
Bob Dylan.
Last Saturday was a Tusk morning...
It helps keep well known tunes fresh, if you don’t listen to them all the time helps...

jbrownsjr 01-31-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1220307)
Roger Waters is THE MAN

He sure is a man. The man?

1981: I don't want to be in Pink Floyd it's done and I think everyone should be done. If you continue I will sue you.

2017: Come see me do THE WALL!! $350!!

I saw the Pro's and Con's Tour in 1984 and loved it.
I saw Gilmour's About Face in 1984 and loved it.
I saw Christine's 1984 tour and loved it.

As time went on (no pun intended), I've seen Gilmour's output and direction as beautiful and amazing.

Roger's??? ehhhhhh Didn't like the next few albums after.

Just my take on that.

turquoise5 02-01-2018 05:16 PM

Go back to the velvet underground, to the floor, with some lace and paper flowers

I keep it fresh by going back to whatever songs I am in the mood for that day. Sometimes it's an "Edge of Seventeen" day if I'm feeling aggressive or antsy. "Dreams" if I'm in a reflective mood. Etc....don't listen to the same albums or songs every day. Dig out those album cuts. The Mac has so much output I never get bored of them.

vivfox 02-01-2018 11:56 PM

The demos and the live bootleg concerts have held my interest all these years, in between the long wait for new albums. Stevie's demos are my treasures but after 2008 I stopped listening to Fleetwood Mac and opened the door to current music on a grand scale. I still listen to the Mac but they are no longer front and center. I haven't played my BuckVie music since last summer. But just tonight I listened to several tracks from the latest White Album release.

nicepace 02-03-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

I'll get bored and go through a Bob Welsh phase.
It's WELCH. Bob WELCH. W-E-L-C-H.

This spelling error is the pre-Rumours era "Lindsay." You see both of these errors often, and they are really annoying.