The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stevie says Mac members get paid the same (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57703)

Macfan4life 01-29-2018 04:43 AM

Stevie says Mac members get paid the same

Rock icon Stevie Nicks believes the fight against sexual misconduct and gender inequality in the entertainment industry is going to require persistence.
"Everybody needs to not let this be a kind of big wave and just go away and say, 'Oh well, you know, it's over and nobody cares anymore,'" Nicks told CNN at the Recording Academy's MusiCares event on Friday. "Everybody has to keep really fighting because otherwise women, we will be swept under the carpet yet again and it will just start over."
Nicks and the other members of Fleetwood Mac were honored at the annual pre-Grammy Awards charity event.
The singer, who joined Fleetwood Mac in 1975, said she and fellow bandmate, Christine McVie, did not experience much sexual harassment over the course of their meteoric careers.

"I think I've been very lucky," she said. "And maybe it's because when I joined Fleetwood Mac, Christine and I made a pact. We said we will never ever be treated like a second class citizen amongst our peers as we get more famous and more famous -- and if we're in a room with famous rock n' roll stars that are men and they treat us that way, we will scream at them and then we'll walk out."

"We've been a force of nature our entire career, so nobody has dared to step over that line to Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks," she continued. "I'm such a raging monster when I'm angry that it would have never worked, so I'm really glad I never had to run into that."
As for the ongoing conversations about pay disparities between men and women in entertainment and across industries, Nicks said she's in full support of those calling for pay equity.
"Fleetwood Mac has two women and we all get paid the same," She said. "And if we didn't, Christine and I would be walking out the door."

Macfan4life 01-29-2018 04:46 AM

This has been debated here before. I think Stevie was trying to relate to the current "me Too" movement in claiming "we all get paid the same."
I think many of us speculated that Stevie gets paid more than other band members when touring. We may never know the truth. But if it is true perhaps Mick, John, and Lindsey can start their own non-twirling "Me Too" movement.

sleepless child 01-29-2018 08:02 AM

I highly doubt Stevie and Lindsey got the same money when they joined Fleetwood Mac as the rest of the group and I'm sure lawyers made sure that changed when Rumours became a big hit.

HomerMcvie 01-29-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1220212)
I highly doubt Stevie and Lindsey got the same money when they joined Fleetwood Mac as the rest of the group and I'm sure lawyers made sure that changed when Rumours became a big hit.

They were initially on a $200/week salary with FM, until they decided to make them full members.

HomerMcvie 01-29-2018 12:08 PM

Equal pay from Stevie is such B.S.

Until Christine came back, I believe it was fact that their breakdown of pay was:
Stevie 40%
Lindsey 30%
Mick 15%
John 15%

She's so full of it.

gldstwmn 01-29-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1220209)
This has been debated here before. I think Stevie was trying to relate to the current "me Too" movement in claiming "we all get paid the same."
I think many of us speculated that Stevie gets paid more than other band members when touring. We may never know the truth. But if it is true perhaps Mick, John, and Lindsey can start their own non-twirling "Me Too" movement.

"Me too" is about sexual harassment. The pay equality thing has been in the news a lot too with the most recent thing being Mark Wahlberg getting paid something like $1.5 million for re shoots while his co star Michelle Williams got $1800 for the same work.

jeets2000 01-29-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1220222)
Equal pay from Stevie is such B.S.

Until Christine came back, I believe it was fact that their breakdown of pay was:
Stevie 40%
Lindsey 30%
Mick 15%
John 15%

She's so full of it.

Curious where this breakdown you're citing came from? Thanks!

HomerMcvie 01-29-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeets2000 (Post 1220227)
Curious where this breakdown you're citing came from? Thanks!

Somebody "in the know" posted it back around SYW, and the following tours, before Christine came back.

SisterNightroad 01-29-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1220228)
Somebody "in the know" posted it back around SYW, and the following tours, before Christine came back.

But pay for what? Public appearances? Tours?

HomerMcvie 01-29-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1220229)
But pay for what? Public appearances? Tours?

Touring revenue.

bombaysaffires 01-29-2018 03:03 PM

I think her point in general was that the women in FM were never paid at discounted rates compared to the men.

Clearly over time various members have leveraged their higher profiles and greater "bankability" to negotiate for more money. Part of the issue in Hollywood is that say, an actress with high visibility and proven track record of selling movie tickets (a la Stevie as a musical performer) still doesn't get the same as a man of equal stature let alone get more than male costars. So FM is a case where everyone has equal opportunity to shine, and if you shine more in the marketplace than others, you leverage that for a higher share. Women in the acting world typically were topping out at whatever people thought was the highest amount a woman should make, rather than being able to negotiate for whatever rate a successful actor should make (regardless of gender). There was an artificial ceiling for actresses regardless of their level of success. Men could go for whatever they felt they deserved and hold out till they got it. Women were supposed to be grateful for whatever they were allowed to make.

Stevie's point, though not well articulated by her, was that the playing field was always level in FM in that everyone had equal opportunity to succeed and then be paid appropriately according to their success. In this she is right.

HomerMcvie 01-29-2018 03:12 PM

Except when she was making almost triple what the band's founders were making. Isn't that reverse discrimination on her part?

I guess it's okay in that direction, since she's showing "a man" who's boss? :laugh:

ricohv 01-29-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1220228)

That seems incredibly vague. I'm not sure I could make an argument to bash Stevie for being such a big, bad greedy meanie because "someone in the know" posted it here 15 years ago...JMHO

Hawkeye 01-29-2018 04:16 PM

Yea, stevie nicks should be incredibly proud, she may be the one example of reverse pay discrimination based on how much she brings to the table. Especially with those SYW tour figures. The person on stage the least and contributing the least to the songs when she’s not on lead had a staggeringly disproportionately high piece of the pie.

And yes, 8 get it, the drawing people in factor can not be ignored here. But in just looking at it from the angle of “equal pay for equal work” stevie won that game! She needs to be the face of the me too movements success stories edition!

Now please, no one gtake the above the wrong way, I’m diminishing the importance of the movement, just pointing out hilario A irony.

jeets2000 01-29-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricohv (Post 1220241)
That seems incredibly vague. I'm not sure I could make an argument to bash Stevie for being such a big, bad greedy meanie because "someone in the know" posted it here 15 years ago...JMHO

Yeah, that was why I initially asked. Not putting much stock in this. Could be right, could be wrong, but nobody here knows for a fact either way, so... meh.