The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fleetwood Mac - Sara (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58795)

jwd 11-29-2019 10:58 PM

Fleetwood Mac - Sara

Damn, this a masterpiece! Remember when it was this good?!

greendaze5 11-30-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwd (Post 1255036)

Damn, this a masterpiece! Remember when it was this good?!

Yes, Stevie at the height of her FM greatness! I love this version and the one on the 1980 live album! :thumbsup:

Seems like she was creating a visual character around this song - the red cloak, her hair up in a pompadour.

When 'Sara' was finally brought back into the FM set in the new millennium, she dressed up in the same way at some shows, but it just didn't work. The red cloak made her look big, and her piled-up straightened hair didn't look like it did back then.

'Sara' on the 2008 'The Soundstage Sessions' version is just awful. Her voice is flat and with no nuances. :sorry:

mitzo 11-30-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendaze5 (Post 1255039)
Yes, Stevie at the height of her FM greatness! I love this version and the one on the 1980 live album! :thumbsup:

Seems like she was creating a visual character around this song - the red cloak, her hair up in a pompadour.

When 'Sara' was finally brought back into the FM set in the new millennium, she dressed up in the same way at some shows, but it just didn't work. The red cloak made her look big, and her piled-up straightened hair didn't look like it did back then.

'Sara' on the 2008 'The Soundstage Sessions' version is just awful. Her voice is flat and with no nuances. :sorry:

Agreed about the soundstage performance. In fact the whole show was dull and leaden.

Macfan4life 11-30-2019 12:57 PM

I always thought Stevie looks wasted in this video. I know they were all wasted during this time but her eyes are so glassy. IMHO not many flattery pictures of the band during this era but I always thought Stevie looked horrible in this video.

greendaze5 11-30-2019 01:31 PM

Just love:

- Lindsey's guitar finger-picking throughout the song. More obvious on the 1980 Live album (some overdubbing in the studio afterwards?)

- Stevie's "All I ever wanted was to knowwwwwwwwwwwwww..." at the end

HomerMcvie 11-30-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendaze5 (Post 1255043)
Just love:

- Lindsey's guitar finger-picking throughout the song. More obvious on the 1980 Live album (some overdubbing in the studio afterwards?)

I'm almost positive that MOST of the "1980 Live" guitar is overdubs.

bombaysaffires 11-30-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1255045)
I'm almost positive that MOST of the "1980 Live" guitar is overdubs.

and most of the vocals.

jbrownsjr 12-01-2019 07:19 PM

I love this video. I love Stevie's look, boots, vocals, and facial expressions. I can't stand the way she sings Sara nowadays. But, her range is so small it is what it is.

jmn3 12-01-2019 10:27 PM

This song peaked from a live perspective on the Tusk Tour. Some of those performances are just magical to listen to. The Live album of course, and Tusk Deluxe...but some of the bootlegs too. Melbourne and Japan (can't remember what city) were always amazing to me.

It lost something on the Mirage Tour (tempo seemed a bit faster, her vocal nuances were just blah as compared to Tusk), seemed okay from the few versions I have heard from 1988, and then has just been perfunctory since it got reintroduced in 2004. I would have loved to have heard it on The Dance tour, with Christine actually playing along and Stevie still able to potentially nail the vocal.

BLY 12-02-2019 08:56 PM

I agree Sara peaked on the Tusk tour and should have retired after that but because it was a “Hit” it came back. Sara and Gypsy are two songs and “Hits” that never really translated we’ll live. Sara did for the Tusk tour but Gypsy didn’t even work for the Mirage tour. Studio magic by master Buckingham.

HomerMcvie 12-03-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1255082)
I agree Sara peaked on the Tusk tour and should have retired after that but because it was a “Hit” it came back. Sara and Gypsy are two songs and “Hits” that never really translated we’ll live. Sara did for the Tusk tour but Gypsy didn’t even work for the Mirage tour. Studio magic by master Buckingham.

Gypsy has never been good, live.

Even on the Mirage tour, with a 6-7 piece band.

Master Buckingham made it pretty much impossible to capture live...

jmn3 12-03-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1255084)

The closest they came was on The Dance. Though I’m sure studio magic post-production helped out there. The current version is dreadful. And any solo version she has done is just Waddy butchering the hell out of the song.

lbfan 12-03-2019 11:47 AM

Gypsy - AHA Benefit 2000

Quote:

I always liked the acoustic version performed at the AHI benefit in 2000. Lindsey, and two others on acoustic guitars (I think Waddy was one of the other two). There is a video on YouTube of that performance.
https://youtu.be/m5HeRgOVOMw

jbrownsjr 12-03-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

I think if Christine would have expanded her role on the song it could have been a bit more flushed out. She plays basic chords on it.

She certainly has the ability to play a chord and cover one of the layers with her right hand. I think they either were trumped by LB, or just lazy on her part.

HomerMcvie 12-03-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1255091)
She certainly has the ability to play a chord and cover one of the layers with her right hand. I think they either were trumped by LB, or just lazy on her part.

I suspect the latter. And that's all she plays now. :distress: