The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Chris and the band together in London soon (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=42010)

profjohn 10-27-2009 01:27 PM

Chris and the band together in London soon

Dublin's Sunday Independent had a piece on FM on Oct 27th which included this statement by Mick:
"Christine hates flying, which is something of a impediment when it comes to a world tour. We are still all close to Christine and looking forward to catching up with her in London," he says.
I hope it happens and leads to something musical.

Gailh 10-27-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profjohn (Post 850322)
Dublin's Sunday Independent had a piece on FM on Oct 27th which included this statement by Mick:
"Christine hates flying, which is something of a impediment when it comes to a world tour. We are still all close to Christine and looking forward to catching up with her in London," he says.
I hope it happens and leads to something musical.

I'm sure she'll catch up with them in London but I wont hold my breath about anything more.

Gail

michelej1 10-27-2009 02:07 PM

When she was promoting ITM, I loved the way she kept saying Dan would come over and she'd make him some pasta. Just the idea of popping round at Christine's house and she's talking to you and you sit at a counter, while she whips up a pasta dish in a few minutes. It's amazing to think about.

For the SYW tour, they talked about planning to have dinner at her place. This time, maybe they'll just meet at the venue. Have drinks (non-alcoholic for those so inclined) later.

Michele

nicepace 10-27-2009 05:10 PM

I think it's sweet that Mick is thinking about her and wants to see her while they're in London. But I have no illusions that there will be any music involved.

I hope he will at least comment on their visit after he sees her. I'd like to at least hear how she's doing. How did her garden do this year? Have the dogs had puppies? That sort of thing ...

DrK 10-27-2009 07:56 PM

And maybe there might even be a photo or two?:blob1::blob1:

David 10-27-2009 10:59 PM

Maybe they'll ask her to participate in the 2010 studio album. Fleetwood Mac's final bow. No silly requirements to tour or what-not, especially now that Stevie & Lindsey have been doing Say You Love Me.

aleuzzi 10-27-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 850418)
Maybe they'll ask her to participate in the 2010 studio album. Fleetwood Mac's final bow. No silly requirements to tour or what-not, especially now that Stevie & Lindsey have been doing Say You Love Me.

This is what SHOULD happen if the band does one final album. She should be a full participant in the proceedings, too, contribute songs, sing, be "the guiding hand" that Stevie so aptly called her.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this won't happen.

vivfox 10-28-2009 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=aleuzzi;850419]This is what SHOULD happen if the band does one final album. She should be a full participant in the proceedings, too, contribute songs, sing, be "the guiding hand" that Stevie so aptly called her.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this won't happen.[/QUOTE]

It probably can't because Chris won't leave England and Lindsey has a family to raise in California.

jbrownsjr 10-28-2009 10:43 AM

I kind of get the feeling she doesn't want anything to do with FM regardless if it's touring or making an album. Visiting and dinner yes... working no...

michelej1 10-28-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 850418)

I think they do have to talk to her about the Rumours CD/DVD thing that might (or might not be) coming out. I mean, they don't have to talk, and it's nothing that can't be negotiated long distance, but she and her people have to sign off on it, which is probably why Lindsey recently referred to the managers as the "gang of five."

Michele

michelej1 10-28-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 850483)
I kind of get the feeling she doesn't want anything to do with FM regardless if it's touring or making an album. Visiting and dinner yes... working no...

Now, see by contrast, I don't think she minds working with them and I think she probably would have done so with SYW. I think except for her wanting to leave, The Dance seemed to proceed nicely. Although by the time we got to the RRHOF, maybe they had all had a little tiff.

I don't think the stuff we think of as craziness really bothers her that much. Drugs and drink and travel, yes I think she thinks that's crazy at the stage her life is in now. Personality wise, I think the "drama" we've been discussing is pretty low key and inconsequential to her, compared to what it was like in the old days. I just don't see her being fazed in the least by it.

David, I think SYLM comes off nicely except for that verse Lindsey does alone. Between that and Don't Stop, I wonder which she likes the most, or least. Well, probably SYLM requires the 5 of them more than Don't Stop does. Although, I still think the chorus works well with Stevie and Lindsey. The verses are a reason she should join the band in a cameo, simply out of pity.

If they could smuggle away one of her dogs, that would give them considerable leverage.

Michele

David 10-28-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 850501)
David, I think SYLM comes off nicely except for that verse Lindsey does alone.

I think I heard it on YouTube & I think I liked it. You know me.

But the point I forgot to make is that the statement Mick & Stevie made about the last album without Chris was: What if she had the hit single & wasn't there on the road to sing it?

Well, hellooooo! They changed their minds, I guess. She wasn't there to sing her hit singles Say You Love Me & Don't Stop. (Nor was she there in 1994 & 1995 to sing her hit singles Say You Love Me, You Make Loving Fun, & Don't Stop.)

So if the band has rationalized its way out of that particular quagmire, why not ask Chris to record one last big studio album & to hell with what happens on the tour? Is there some difference in their minds between a classic hit single & a current hit single? And why is this band still paying any thought at all to hit singles? This band is solely a touring band playing its golden oldies.

michelej1 10-28-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 850503)
Well, hellooooo! They changed their minds, I guess. She wasn't there to sing her hit singles Say You Love Me & Don't Stop. (Nor was she there in 1994 & 1995 to sing her hit singles Say You Love Me, You Make Loving Fun, & Don't Stop.)

What happened was, things got so crazy the last time they performed for Bill Clinton. When he found out that Christine wasn't there, he went into a rage, threw a chair, had their taxes audited. After that, they were a little gun shy.

The idea that they could have a Top #1 hit that would knock Britney Spears off the charts and then not have Christine there to sing it -- the fan disillusion that would cause -- the audience chanting "we want Christine" then leaving the arena in a stampede of pique -- it was too much to risk.

Michele

holidayroad 10-28-2009 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=vivfox;850426]
Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 850419)
This is what SHOULD happen if the band does one final album. She should be a full participant in the proceedings, too, contribute songs, sing, be "the guiding hand" that Stevie so aptly called her.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this won't happen.[/QUOTE]

It probably can't because Chris won't leave England and Lindsey has a family to raise in California.

Lindsey (and family)could move to England for a year.......

holidayroad 10-28-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 850503)
I think I heard it on YouTube & I think I liked it. You know me.

But the point I forgot to make is that the statement Mick & Stevie made about the last album without Chris was: What if she had the hit single & wasn't there on the road to sing it?

So if the band has rationalized its way out of that particular quagmire, why not ask Chris to record one last big studio album & to hell with what happens on the tour? Is there some difference in their minds between a classic hit single & a current hit single? And why is this band still paying any thought at all to hit singles? This band is solely a touring band playing its golden oldies.

I truly don't think Christine would do a Fleetwood Mac album precisely because she'd feel she had a responsibility to the band to tour for it. She doesn't want to be seen as 'pulling a Lindsey'. (Being on an album, yet bailing on a tour)(sorry, Lindsey!)

Erin 10-28-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 850508)
What happened was, things got so crazy the last time they performed for Bill Clinton. When he found out that Christine wasn't there, he went into a rage, threw a chair, had their taxes audited. After that, they were a little gun shy.

The idea that they could have a Top #1 hit that would knock Britney Spears off the charts and then not have Christine there to sing it -- the fan disillusion that would cause -- the audience chanting "we want Christine" then leaving the arena in a stampede of pique -- it was too much to risk.

Michele

Thank you, best chuckle I've had all day!

jbrownsjr 10-28-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holidayroad (Post 850513)
I truly don't think Christine would do a Fleetwood Mac album precisely because she'd feel she had a responsibility to the band to tour for it. She doesn't want to be seen as 'pulling a Lindsey'. (Being on an album, yet bailing on a tour)(sorry, Lindsey!)

Hahahahah... he almost burned his bridges after Tango... ;)

chiliD 10-28-2009 04:18 PM

I dunno, I think if they are to do "one final album", they should not ONLY get Christine, but also get Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, Billy Burnette & Rick Vito to also make appearances on the album. There wouldn't be any pressure on anybody to tour or have to meet expectations songwriting wise, so I would think that would appeal to Chris, Peter & Jeremy. And, because its a studio situation, those members who don't get along with other members could just come in and do an overdub or two by themselves and not have to interact with anybody else, if they didn't want to. :cool:

That would open up some great combinations of former members that we never got to hear before. Like Rick & Peter playing on a song "together"; a Welch/Buckingham collaboration (if they were so inclined); Billy, Lindsey & Jeremy together on an old '50's sounding tune, etc. It would be a WHOLE LOT more interesting (to me, anyway) than another album filled with just Lindsey & Stevie's tunes.

jbrownsjr 10-28-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 850548)
I dunno, I think if they are to do "one final album", they should not ONLY get Christine, but also get Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, Billy Burnette & Rick Vito to also make appearances on the album. There wouldn't be any pressure on anybody to tour or have to meet expectations songwriting wise, so I would think that would appeal to Chris, Peter & Jeremy. And, because its a studio situation, those members who don't get along with other members could just come in and do an overdub or two by themselves and not have to interact with anybody else, if they didn't want to. :cool:

That would open up some great combinations of former members that we never got to hear before. Like Rick & Peter playing on a song "together"; a Welch/Buckingham collaboration (if they were so inclined); Billy, Lindsey & Jeremy together on an old '50's sounding tune, etc. It would be a WHOLE LOT more interesting (to me, anyway) than another album filled with just Lindsey & Stevie's tunes.

That would be a dream come true for me as well.... I think Mick would love that... It would be an original concept, and let a producer run the show... Would love to see another Welch/McVie collaboration...

michelej1 10-28-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holidayroad (Post 850513)

She was already on an album without touring: Time.

Michele

chiliD 10-28-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 850559)
She was already on an album without touring: Time.

Michele

And, Mr. Wonderful, if you want to get REALLY technical.

But, considering there WASN'T a tour after the release of Time, I don't think that really counts.

nicepace 10-28-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 850548)
I think if they are to do "one final album", they should not ONLY get Christine, but also get Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, Billy Burnette & Rick Vito to also make appearances on the album.

I totally agree that this would be hugely more interesting than another Stevie/Lindsey album.

But to me it wouldn't be complete unless they could get Danny Kirwan, too. But I suppose that's impossible.

But, but, the thing is, even if they said it was the "final album," I wouldn't believe it. Two or three years down the line Mick would be making phone calls, and they'd be putting out the "we really mean it this time, honest to goodness final album."

nicepace 10-28-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Lindsey (and family)could move to England for a year.......
Why a year? They don't have to take a year making an album. They should hire a producer and make an album in two weeks. Lindsey could just take a vacation to do it. Some of us would like a less produced album better, anyway.

holidayroad 10-28-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 850607)
Why a year? They don't have to take a year making an album. They should hire a producer and make an album in two weeks. Lindsey could just take a vacation to do it. Some of us would like a less produced album better, anyway.

I guess what I should have said was 'Lindsey (and family) could move to England for a period of time'. I guess I was assuming it would take a while to complete the album and since he has children in school, he'd probably want to stay for the complete school year.

aleuzzi 10-28-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

If they could smuggle away one of her dogs, that would give them considerable leverage.

Michele

You're evil. I love it.

cristochango 10-28-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 850606)
I totally agree that this would be hugely more interesting than another Stevie/Lindsey album.

But to me it wouldn't be complete unless they could get Danny Kirwan, too. But I suppose that's impossible.

But, but, the thing is, even if they said it was the "final album," I wouldn't believe it. Two or three years down the line Mick would be making phone calls, and they'd be putting out the "we really mean it this time, honest to goodness final album."

I think the only thing Say You Will needed was some piano on it

michelej1 10-28-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristochango (Post 850648)
I think the only thing Say You Will needed was some piano on it

In the Meantime too.

Michele

David 10-29-2009 11:42 AM

Now you've got me thinking, which isn't necessarily a good idea.

How much acoustic piano is there on post-1974 albums?

Say You Love Me
Sugar Daddy

Don't Stop
Songbird
Oh Daddy

Sara
What Makes You Think You're the One?
(an early take of Never Make Me Cry)
Beautiful Child

(an early take of Fireflies)
Sara
Not That Funny
Don't Stop

Can't Go Back
Hold Me
Wish You Were Here

jbrownsjr 10-29-2009 01:54 PM

^^^^^
Dance - Rhiannon
Rumours/Dance - SilverSprings
Straight Back - Mirage
Greatest Hits - No Questions Asked
Behind the Mask - In the Back of My Mind

louielouie2000 10-29-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Now, see by contrast, I don't think she minds working with them and I think she probably would have done so with SYW. I think except for her wanting to leave, The Dance seemed to proceed nicely. Although by the time we got to the RRHOF, maybe they had all had a little tiff.

I don't think the stuff we think of as craziness really bothers her that much. Drugs and drink and travel, yes I think she thinks that's crazy at the stage her life is in now. Personality wise, I think the "drama" we've been discussing is pretty low key and inconsequential to her, compared to what it was like in the old days. I just don't see her being fazed in the least by it.

David, I think SYLM comes off nicely except for that verse Lindsey does alone. Between that and Don't Stop, I wonder which she likes the most, or least. Well, probably SYLM requires the 5 of them more than Don't Stop does. Although, I still think the chorus works well with Stevie and Lindsey. The verses are a reason she should join the band in a cameo, simply out of pity.

Michele

I really disagree. Take an evening and watch all her interviews and such from In The Meantime on youtube back to back. She repeatedly said that her time with the band had been drawing to a close since sometime in the late 1980s/very early 1990s. She was just done... she recorded and toured nonstop with Fleetwood Mac for 30 years. She accomplished all that she had set out to do. She was tired of the lifestyle. She was tired of the band. She was tired of America. She's in her late 60s now, living a very quiet happy life in her home country, spends her time doting on her dogs, and reconnecting with family. Why in the hell would she want to sit in a room with Stevie and Lindsey for a year and a half playing referee for two 60 something year old adults who act like spoiled teenagers? Christine repeatedly said in her 2004 interviews that she was just done with all that mess. Done with commercial expectations, done with pressures, done with schedules, done with constructs. She simply made In The Meantime because she could do it on her own terms, in her home, where she could stop and make pasta if she wanted, and spend the time connecting with her nephew. I just don't think there's any kind of money in the world that could be thrown a Christine to convince her to do anything else than what she's doing right now. She gave her entire adult life to Fleetwood Mac, she's retired. And if I were her, I'd be exactly the same way! :nod:

Think of it this way. Would you want to do the exact same job for 40 years? Do you know anyone, anyone at all who's been doing the same job working for the same company since the late 1960s? Have you even known anybody who's been married that long? :laugh: My point is, she's just done. She's just not the same person. Her priorities have taken a 180. I think she was tired of all of the negative stimulus, and having to numb it all by being a lady drunk. There's nobody who wants a return from Christine more than me, but we've gotta respect the lady's life choices, and let her retire in peace and happiness. She earned it! :D

michelej1 10-29-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 850743)
I really disagree. Take an evening and watch all her interviews and such from In The Meantime on youtube back to back. She repeatedly said that her time with the band had been drawing to a close since sometime in the late 1980s/very early 1990s.

When I see her interviews, I see that she missed her home very much, being away from England and her family. Interviews, deadlines, travel, waking up in a strange bed. That she hated.

I also think being in the band with John directly after their divorce was bad. Watching Mick become a drunken sod sleeping on a basement floor was bad. The Tango break up was bad.

But generally speaking, the stuff that's going on with Lindsey and Stevie now, I really don't think that was a big deal to her. She couldn't care less. I don't think she would see that as negative stimuli. I mean, I often joke to myself that the lyric, "trapped in the middle of a lousy love affair," was about Stevie and Lindsey, but actually I hardly think their drama was a bleep on her radar. I view it as like a 1 on her stress level scale.

Furthermore, outside of big Tango-type altercations, I don't think she had to referee anything. Just her presence saying, "let's finish rehearsing this . . ." was enough to get everything back on track. I mean, just having the third person there keeps things more focused on the music, so that Stevie and Lindsey aren't going head to head with each other. It doesn't take someone standing and screaming at them to be quiet for hours on end. In fact, she said they could get along quite well with each other when they were working. With Christine there, I think they would work more and push each other's buttons less.

I think the draw of the music they made together both the playing and the vocals, would be enough to get her to agree to recording something with them again. And maybe participating in one recorded concert.

Of course, I know she would never go on the road again. That is what I think is definitely over. I don't even daydream about a tour with her.

Michele

michelej1 10-29-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 850711)

She's got a real nice little thing going at the end of Northern Star, but just as you start to let yourself sink into it, the song is over.

Michele

aleuzzi 10-29-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 850711)

Say You Love Me
Sugar Daddy

Don't Stop
Songbird
Oh Daddy

Sara
What Makes You Think You're the One?
(an early take of Never Make Me Cry)
Beautiful Child

(an early take of Fireflies)
Sara
Not That Funny
Don't Stop

Can't Go Back
Hold Me
Wish You Were Here

Straight Back--1982; The Smile I Live For on the 1984 solo album...

michelej1 10-30-2009 11:54 AM

Upstairs, a Ledgie posts about meeting Christine outside Mick's concert:

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...2&postcount=44

Michele

macfan 57 10-31-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 850894)
Upstairs, a Ledgie posts about meeting Christine outside Mick's concert:

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...2&postcount=44

Michele

What a terrific story! That lucky fan even got a hug & kiss from Chris.:D

nicepace 11-01-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57 (Post 851013)
What a terrific story! That lucky fan even got a hug & kiss from Chris.:D

No, actually, the fan GAVE a hug and a peck on the cheek to Christine, which I think was aggressive and inappropriate of the fan. My guess is Christine HATED that and only put up with it out of politeness.

michelej1 11-01-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 851152)
No, actually, the fan GAVE a hug and a peck on the cheek to Christine, which I think was aggressive and inappropriate of the fan. My guess is Christine HATED that and only put up with it out of politeness.

I do have to say that while I am no means OCD (yet), sometimes I resent even being put in the position to have to shake someone's hands these days. Why can't we just nod and smile at each other? I walk into a room and shake hands and I'm just counting the minutes until I'm alone again with the Purell.

Michele

vivfox 11-01-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 851213)
I do have to say that while I am no means OCD (yet), sometimes I resent even being put in the position to have to shake someone's hands these days. Why can't we just nod and smile at each other? I walk into a room and shake hands and I'm just counting the minutes until I'm alone again with the Purell.

Michele

I know how you feel. A lot of people don't wash their hands B4 exiting a restroom. Nowadays reaching out one's hand to another & just touching knuckles is an acceptable form of hand shaking. After I shake hands with people I usually go straight to the nearest bathroom to wash my hands. Then I am nervous about touching the light switch and opening the door handle. I'm so glad I am not famous. Then I'd have to deal with all the people who sweat, have bad breath and food in their teeth.

jbrownsjr 11-01-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 851152)

I would have tackled her and screamed like a little girl... :lol:

CHRISTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sign this!!!!!

no just kidding.. can you imagine?

michelej1 11-01-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 851218)
I would have tackled her and screamed like a little girl... :lol:

CHRISTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sign this!!!!!

no just kidding.. can you imagine?

I don't have any use for autographs, but I'm afraid I would have stared at her. I'd try to be casual about it -- but I wouldn't be very good at that. And I would have tried to sneak a picture. I know that sneaking one is more presumptuous than just asking -- but I probably would have tried to do it anyway. She'd be driving back home as fast as she could!

Michele