The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fireflies (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39762)

tr1 04-05-2009 12:22 AM

Fireflies

Does anyone know if "Fireflies" from the live album is a cover song? I can't find it anywhere. Or am I just being lame and missing something?

David 04-05-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tr1 (Post 812682)
Does anyone know if "Fireflies" from the live album is a cover song? I can't find it anywhere. Or am I just being lame and missing something?

Stevie Nicks wrote it.

tr1 04-05-2009 12:49 AM

Was it ever recorded on an album or just on the live one?

TwistedGypsy 04-05-2009 12:53 AM

Just the live album has it. As far as I know....Only place I've ever seen it.

strandinthewind 04-05-2009 06:57 AM

There are several demos, boots, etc. of it.

Here is one from youtube:

It is rather of dreadful IMO.

Here is the piano demo.

It is rather pretty IMO. It also shows LB and FM's slammin production skills.

There are others - so look for them.

starshine 04-05-2009 04:55 PM

Wow that piano demo is wonderful...wish it was the full version....I've not ever ever heard it before. Of all the demos/outtakes /alternates that I have...that for sure isn't one of them.....wow......incredible.....I love Stevie's voice than......great...thanks for sharing!!:thumbsup:

shackin'up 04-05-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind (Post 812704)
Here is the piano demo.

It is rather pretty IMO. It also shows LB and FM's slammin production skills.

It's gorgeous. I never heard this before. As you say, apart from the incredible depth and beauty of this fragment, it's quite amazing and impressive that Lindsey and the band arranged the midtempo rocker out of it as it came out......

Musicman408 04-05-2009 05:47 PM

Thanks for posting those!!! I had never heard the piano demo!! It's lovely!:nod:

strandinthewind 04-05-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 812895)
It's gorgeous. I never heard this before. As you say, apart from the incredible depth and beauty of this fragment, it's quite amazing and impressive that Lindsey and the band arranged the midtempo rocker out of it as it came out......

I sounds sort of like all her piano demos from this period, particularly the Rhiannon related ones.

In many ways, I think the musical structure and the music of the finished fireflies is LB (I presume the major production force) and the rest of the band (no slouches either mind you) 's finest accomplishment of that era. I have no clue how complicated the song is in its structure, but it sure comes off as a perfect fit to her words and voice. I also think she (presumably) did an outstanding job on the harmonies (as she presumably did on Farmer's Daughter - SHEEBUS!).

All in all, I think Fireflies is an example of FM working best when they work together as a group. It is just so evident on this live track.

ontheEdgeof17 04-05-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind (Post 812911)

All in all, I think Fireflies is an example of FM working best when they work together as a group. It is just so evident on this live track.

Live? That's questionable. For a song that wasn't performed during the tour and supposably recorded during a soundcheck, it sounds THAT tight? I doubt it. I think that, and Farmer's Daughter were recorded during the Tusk sessions and placed on Live for single purposes.

strandinthewind 04-05-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17 (Post 812914)
Live? That's questionable. For a song that wasn't performed during the tour and supposably recorded during a soundcheck, it sounds THAT tight? I doubt it. I think that, and Farmer's Daughter were recorded during the Tusk sessions and placed on Live for single purposes.

Didn't someone post on here a few year's ago taht they were there for that - or knew someone who was as their was a small audience.

In any event, I think most of the track was live, or at least it sounds that way. I agree though that they likely tweaked it in the studio afterward.

ontheEdgeof17 04-05-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind (Post 812915)
Didn't someone post on here a few year's ago taht they were there for that - or knew someone who was as their was a small audience.

In any event, I think most of the track was live, or at least it sounds that way. I agree though that they likely tweaked it in the studio afterward.

Well, Paula stole my Tusk Reissue (:p), so I can't compare the two, but if I recall correctly, they sound very similar.

strandinthewind 04-05-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17 (Post 812919)
Well, Paula stole my Tusk Reissue . . . . .

She's just so like that - and violent too ;)

ontheEdgeof17 04-05-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind (Post 812920)
She's just so like that - and violent too ;)

I think it was the same night I killed Carrie.

Anywho, I think this song could have been a big concert hit....like The Chain was/is.

strandinthewind 04-05-2009 07:41 PM

^^

I'd love to hear it live, esp. since she is being comparatively daring in her vocals these days. Read - that cut is a SLAMMIN vocal from her - and LB for that matter.