The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The last Song from Rumors...... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58953)

BLY 05-29-2020 08:11 PM

The last Song from Rumors......

What was your least favorite song from Rumors when it was released/or first time you listened to it?

It was Oh Daddy for me. I like it but it was at the bottom of the list. Over the years it has become one of my favorites. After hearing the alternative version with more of Stevie’s vocals prominent gave me even more appreciation for the track. The song is another masterpiece.

SteveMacD 05-29-2020 09:18 PM

I’m weird. “Rumours” was the last studio album by that lineup I bought (late 87-early 88). I was also familiar with “Mystery..,” “Law & Order,” and some Peter Green era stuff before “Rumours.”

NGBA was probably my least favorite, but I loved the whole album from the start. Obviously I knew the hits, and I had heard “The Chain” from the Mirage tour on VH-1’s Fleetwood Mac Weekend (which is why I bought the cassette). But, I liked that song.

vivfox 05-29-2020 09:50 PM

I never cared for Songbird. There have been a few live versions over the years that were good. I would have gladly traded that song for Silver Springs though.

HomerMcvie 05-29-2020 10:21 PM

I've never been a big fan of Oh Daddy. It's snoozeville.

aleuzzi 05-30-2020 12:14 AM

I loved (and love) everything on it, but love NGBA less than the others. Pretty tune. But not one that feels as essential as the others.

But then I also love “Oh Daddy” more than most songs on the album...

tabruns 05-30-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1258300)
What was your least favorite song from Rumors when it was released/or first time you listened to it?

It was Oh Daddy for me. I like it but it was at the bottom of the list. Over the years it has become one of my favorites. After hearing the alternative version with more of Stevie’s vocals prominent gave me even more appreciation for the track. The song is another masterpiece.

I like all of them, but "I Don't Want To Know" was the least consequential IMO. Caillat talks about album length side and how important it was to keep each side under 22 minutes, but "Silver Springs" could have fit in place of this song, and I think it would have been the better choice.

FuzzyPlum 05-31-2020 03:26 AM

For a long time I considered Oh Daddy and I Don't Want to Know as the least essential songs. However, I've come to appreciate them much more.
Don't Stop is now probably the one I can live without hearing.

button-lip 05-31-2020 03:42 PM

Definitely “Oh, Daddy”. Never liked it and probably never will.

cbBen 05-31-2020 03:56 PM

"Oh Daddy"

HomerMcvie 05-31-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1258330)
For a long time I considered Oh Daddy and I Don't Want to Know as the least essential songs. However, I've come to appreciate them much more.
Don't Stop is now probably the one I can live without hearing.

I LOVE Idwtk. Always have. It's the first guitar solo I ever learned to play!

BLY 05-31-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258346)
I LOVE Idwtk. Always have. It's the first guitar solo I ever learned to play!

IDWTK is the song that got me hooked. It’s my number #1.

Macfan4life 06-01-2020 05:15 AM

Oh Daddy is one of the most beautiful tracks the Mac has ever recorded. I admit when I first got Rumours I was young and did not understand music so much. However, Oh Daddy is pure brilliance.

I would still axe Never Going Back again and I Don't Want To Know for Silver Springs

mitzo 06-01-2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1258355)
Oh Daddy is one of the most beautiful tracks the Mac has ever recorded. I admit when I first got Rumours I was young and did not understand music so much. However, Oh Daddy is pure brilliance.

I would still axe Never Going Back again and I Don't Want To Know for Silver Springs

Fully agreed on Oh Daddy. I am always amazed to realize that anything ballad-like or slow gets ignored or disliked by so many people.

My last song on Rumours is I Don't Want to Know. But I would not replace it with the original Silver Springs which, in demo form, sounds too thin to fit into the Rumours album.

Macfan4life 06-01-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1258356)
Fully agreed on Oh Daddy. I am always amazed to realize that anything ballad-like or slow gets ignored or disliked by so many people.

My last song on Rumours is I Don't Want to Know. But I would not replace it with the original Silver Springs which, in demo form, sounds too thin to fit into the Rumours album.

Not that Christine's singing ruins the song but has anyone listened to the track without singing. It covers all the bases what made the Mac a super group. Lindsey's guitar is incredible. Christine's playing is so mystical. Micks percussion is so good. IMHO, the track is more Lindsey but its the perfect creation of Lindsey and Christine playing around each other. Take a listen. Its pure magic. There is not a bigger example of Christine and Lindsey's interwoven talents than this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfc3y0G511Y

jbrownsjr 06-01-2020 08:17 PM

Never Going Back Again was my least favorite. (Love it now)

Oh Daddy is one of the best tunes FM has ever written. The Stevie backing vocal demo is so beautiful.

I'm glad SS wasn't added to the album. The Dance version of that song blows away any Rumors version. That moment when they brought back SS during The Dance is huge. The piano intro and nuance, the sweet guitar, the harmonies, the performance, and the behavior of B/N completely blew us away.