The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Eurovision Song Contest (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=55247)

FuzzyPlum 05-26-2015 05:48 AM

Eurovision Song Contest

Okay, so it's several days after the event but I feel I need to have a rant...

I've always loved the Eurovision Song Contest and await its arrival with great anticipation every year. Every year though for the past ten years or so I've vowed never to watch it again. In the UK we used to be so proud of our pop music- it was a given we'd do well in the competition and we tended to laugh a lot at many of the offerings from some of the other European countries.

How things have changed. Now its annually a question of how close to last we will finish. The rest of Europe has moved on. In the UK we seem to have forgotten its a song contest. Now we just put forward kitsch dirge that nobody in their right mind would genuinely like. This year's UK song was truly awful. It would never score highly on the British single chart so why do we seem to assume the rest of Europe would ever think it was good? Honestly, I know it's shallow of me and it shouldn't be about how people look but compare our pasty man with buck teeth with some of the other acts. Not only was it a bad song but it was aesthetically painful too.

The voting in Eurovision still brings up some really odd scoring but in general the best songs rise to the top. This year's winner was well deserved- a great song from Sweden that was beautifully and cleverly staged.

Now, there are so many 'European' countries involved there has to be a semi-final system. Yet the 'big' countries like the UK automatically get a place in the final. As a Brit I find this rather embarrassing and wonder whether people in other countries deliberately fail to vote for us partly due to the sheer arrogance of our automatic place in the final. Is it any coincidence that of the 'Big 5 countries', the UK, Germany, Spain and France all ended up in the bottom 5? The brilliant German song this year failed to get any votes despite it being one of the best songs IMO.

Enough of a rant. I feel I don't want to watch Eurovision next year as I know in advance the UK will do badly. I know after Christmas I'll start looking forward to it though and will, sure enough have my bottle of White Zinfandel and tube of Pringles ready.

chriskisn 05-26-2015 07:05 AM

I generally just decide based on how pretty the girls are (although we normally can't vote being in Australia). This year I was wanting Greece to get through as she was quite the looker! :lol:

FuzzyPlum 05-26-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 1166609)
I generally just decide based on how pretty the girls are (although we normally can't vote being in Australia). This year I was wanting Greece to get through as she was quite the looker! :lol:

Well, yes, I can see where you are coming from. If that was the voting criteria though I may have been tempted to vote for David DeGea's girlfriend- the Spanish entry.:thumbsup:

Anyway, well done to Australia for doing so well- I quite liked their song. It would have made it awkward for the organisers though if the Aussies had gone and won the whole thing.

chriskisn 05-28-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1166611)
Well, yes, I can see where you are coming from. If that was the voting criteria though I may have been tempted to vote for David DeGea's girlfriend- the Spanish entry.:thumbsup:

Anyway, well done to Australia for doing so well- I quite liked their song. It would have made it awkward for the organisers though if the Aussies had gone and won the whole thing.

I have a nasty feeling though that Australia got invited because Europe think we watch it to enjoy the music when we actually generally watch to laugh at some of the music. Granted it has improved heaps in the past few years, but I think Australian's watch it for the cheese factor more than the talent. I do miss Terry Wogan's commentary though...

FuzzyPlum 05-14-2016 02:39 PM

Eurovision again tonight.
Sister Nightroad- the Italian song was just on. Don't think its a winner but it was very sweet and beautifully staged.
The UK will have a good result if they finish higher than the bottom 8.

SisterNightroad 05-14-2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1183571)
Eurovision again tonight.
Sister Nightroad- the Italian song was just on. Don't think its a winner but it was very sweet and beautifully staged.
The UK will have a good result if they finish higher than the bottom 8.

Yes, the girl was the second place winner of Sanremo (the italian music awards) she has a very beautiful sweet voice but her songs usually are lackluster in the lyrics department. She's very young, her label probably tries to sell her to youngsters and doesn't care.

FuzzyPlum 05-14-2016 03:15 PM

It's a very varied contest so far this year- something for everyone...
...rock, power ballads, hard rock, rap, more power ballads, country, folk, Europop, a few more power ballads.

Macfanforever 05-14-2016 05:09 PM

When I hear of Eurovision Song Contest .I think of ABBA.I'll have to look up and watch it.

olive 05-14-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1183596)
When I hear of Eurovision Song Contest .I think of ABBA.I'll have to look up and watch it.

find it on line ,LOGO is showing it and they have the most obnoxious commentary trying to be funny

FuzzyPlum 05-14-2016 05:15 PM

So, The Eurovision Song Contest- showcase for songwriting, singing and musicianship from across Europe. And it increasingly looks like the winning entry for 2016 will be...er...Australia.

FuzzyPlum 05-14-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1183599)
So, The Eurovision Song Contest- showcase for songwriting, singing and musicianship from across Europe. And it increasingly looks like the winning entry for 2016 will be...er...Australia.

Nope, very close but in the end won by a really quite depressing number by the Ukriane entry all about the Ukrainian revolution of 1944. Really depressing.
UK came third from last.
I'm not watching next year.

Missy 05-15-2016 05:25 AM

I am Australian myself and congratulate Dami Im for doing so well. Though it is still odd to me that we are in Eurovision lol.

SisterNightroad 05-15-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1183599)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy (Post 1183654)
I am Australian myself and congratulate Dami Im for doing so well. Though it is still odd to me that we are in Eurovision lol.

Lol, Francesca Michielin was 16th.

I jut read this in a journal about Eurovision and Australia:
"This year was about to succeed, however, Australia. Those who don't follow the Eurovision but are fairly good in geography will wonder what the hell was doing Australia at Eurovision. Good question, but the oceanic nation has participated for two years now, since at those distant latitudes the event is the most watched of the world entertainment, and has been followed and loved for years. In the end the Australian song finished at the second place (behind Ukraine and Russia before), but even if it had won, next year we would not have been forced to watch the Eurovision in the morning, since a clause in the participation contract precises that Australia, if victorious, should have to give up the organization [of the next year Eurovision] to a European country of its choice."

SisterNightroad 04-01-2017 02:53 PM

I just want everyone to know that this will be Italy's entry at this year's Eurovision:

FuzzyPlum 04-01-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1205250)
I just want everyone to know that this will be Italy's entry at this year's Eurovision:

A good slice of Europop. Should do pretty well across European charts.