The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Analyzing album covers: The Dance (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51417)

Villavic 02-07-2013 02:55 PM

Analyzing album covers: The Dance

So this topic is about commenting an album cover. What you like, what you dislike, what you think about this, how a member looks, etc.

I'm starting with The Dance. It was celebrating a Rumours anniversary so no surprise Mick poses like in the original album, but at the same time I thought (the first time I saw the album) Why isn't he more creative? Again the crystal ball? He already posed like Rumours in his book "My 25 years in Fleetwood Mac".

Stevie looks gorgeous. I think she tried to transmit the "I'm still the hot girl in the band" message, and she really does it. Probably a bit of photoshop but not exceeded like in the IYD cover.

Christine, as in almost the entire Dance show, looks too serious. I don't knw if she was thinking "How did they convince me to come to America?" or she was just living a hard time that year, probably because of his marriage end or something.

What did you think when you saw the album cover?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_SS500_.jpg

WildHearted 02-07-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1075711)

What did you think when you saw the album cover?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_SS500_.jpg

What did I think?

Who is the new girl and what happened to Christine.

Fireflies 02-07-2013 03:54 PM

i can never find any of the hidden penguins. :lol:

cantgoback 02-07-2013 03:57 PM

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of this cover, I don't like the color scheme at all really but it's ok, it's a live album, it doesn't have to be perfect.

bluecalmsea 02-07-2013 04:15 PM

I *love* it- but that's because the first Fleetwood Mac song I ever heard was "Silver Springs." I am super sentimental about everything with The Dance because of that. This marks the beginning of my obsession ;)

I was 12 when this came out and would watch MTV play this concert and did not know until I bought the VHS and read the back of it, that Stevie was a woman and Lindsey was a man- totally mixed them up.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_se0zHB8H7o...over+(1-2).jpg

Lindsey looks like he's gonna mess someone up with that crowbar though haha.

beccamorrisfift 02-07-2013 05:30 PM

I wondered since when had Lindsey taken up golf. And what the hell is going on with his legs.

mylittledemon 02-07-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1075711)
Stevie looks gorgeous. I think she tried to transmit the "I'm still the hot girl in the band" message, and she really does it. Probably a bit of photoshop but not exceeded like in the IYD cover.

I have always thought the exact opposite. Look at Stevie on that cover and then look at footage of her from The Dance. They look like two different people almost.

Anyway... I like the cover well enough, but yeah Lindsey should've been doing something else. Maybe if he'd been holding the cane in a different way or perhaps?

WatchChain 02-07-2013 06:40 PM

Christine McVie has been photoshopped almost to the point of "beyond recognition" on this cover. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, it just doesn't look exactly like Chris.

There is some photoshopping going on with Stevie as well, but not as extreme. Also, thank God for hair extensions. Where were these in the 70's? Both of our FM girls are rocking some serious clip-on hair.....:nod:

CADreaming 02-07-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireflies (Post 1075721)
i can never find any of the hidden penguins. :lol:

:laugh:

I always think "My God, what a mess! That must've been one helluva fight!" :D

I'msoAfraid95 02-07-2013 07:10 PM

Its ok, I guess
John looks the best and the coolest.
Mick, man enough of your balls! :laughs:
Chris, crack a smile please.
Stevie, really must your clothes cover the entire piano?
Lindsey, are you gonna whack somebody with that crowbar? :p

michelej1 02-07-2013 11:55 PM

I think their poses are really odd and unnatural for everyone. Lindsey said they were trying to create their own little circle. Most of the press photos they did for the Dance were very strange. Kooky. But I appreciated the humor, I guess. If you can't revel in the band's quirkiness, then there's nothing left.

As for Christine, I always say some woman tied her up, threw her in a closet and took her place for that photo shoot. Same thing with the Meantime cover. Don't know who that woman was or why she hasn't been arrested. As mentioned above, Stevie was heavily photoshopped too, but she is recognizable as Stevie Nicks. The other woman . . . I don't know who she might be.

Michele

GarboSpeaks! 02-08-2013 12:53 AM

I always thought Lindsey looked like a little person, and that Chris' head looks smooshed sideways. John & Mick the usual. Stevie tho ravishing-WAY too much photo shop, imho, more so than IYD. There's a shot of this room minus the band members and I think that sould have been the cover. An element of each individual.

johnnystorms 02-08-2013 01:18 AM

i LOVE David La Chapelle's pics... they are VERY stylized and unnatural. but they WISELY chose a modern photographer to do their big comeback cover pics!

michelej1 02-08-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! (Post 1075814)
There's a shot of this room minus the band members

Oh, I didn't realize that or, if I knew it, I forgot.

Because of the lack of color contrast, it's really hard for me to make out all of the objects in the photo, so If I saw the empty room, I might not be able to pick out anything -- except the piano!

Michele

GarboSpeaks! 02-08-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

i LOVE David La Chapelle's pics... they are VERY stylized and unnatural. but they WISELY chose a modern photographer to do their big comeback cover pics!
He's super awesome but his work and the Mac just really didn't seem to mesh-again imo. But that said, I also have always wondered why the heck there aren't more Dance era shots of the band. There is the smallest handful from this time that aren't live shots. You'd think a big "Rumours" re-do would warrent a ton of pics, and that by now a hell of a lot more would have surfaced.