The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What's with the guitar violence? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=14243)

CarneVaca 05-10-2004 02:03 PM

What's with the guitar violence?

In some other threads, it was mentioned that Lindsey was mistreating his guitars on stage. In some cases he was handed guitars that were not tuned properly for the songs he was about to play. People have used terms like "broken" and "out of tune" but I suspect the guitars were in the wrong tunings. Maybe with the new setlist the guitar tech got confused about the sequence.

Be that as it may, what's with this beating up on guitars? It hurts me to read this. I am always taking extra care not to even pub nicks on my instruments, then I read this and I have to do this: :distress: :(

strandinthewind 05-10-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarneVaca
In some other threads, it was mentioned that Lindsey was mistreating his guitars on stage. In some cases he was handed guitars that were not tuned properly for the songs he was about to play. People have used terms like "broken" and "out of tune" but I suspect the guitars were in the wrong tunings. Maybe with the new setlist the guitar tech got confused about the sequence.

Be that as it may, what's with this beating up on guitars? It hurts me to read this. I am always taking extra care not to even pub nicks on my instruments, then I read this and I have to do this: :distress: :(

I thought that as well. I have seen his racks of guitars and he has many of what looked like the same type. So, who knows. But he was pretty pissed after the SG thing when RR did not work. So who knows. I think it was one of those things that he had no control over and was just aggravating to him. It was not a hateful thing to see on stage, but it was a little odd :laugh:

shackin'up 05-10-2004 02:19 PM

Well, he wasn't very careful with his Turners in Europe. I was shocked, too, when I saw him THROW one over the stage in London, and that one broke. I think after that he only used his white strat during Tusk. He did not do that ( the bashing and using the white strat) in the States & Germany-shows I saw.

I hate when artists do that, but in Lindsey's case: It was some weird sort of relief for me to see such a controlfreak losing it for a splitsec. :laugh: :nod:

gerald

chiliD 05-10-2004 02:23 PM

Oh heck, I'd love to see him just DESTROY a Turner ala Pete Townshend...just once. Rick Turner might refuse to make him anymore if Lindsey did that. That would be hilarious.

shackin'up 05-10-2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
Oh heck, I'd love to see him just DESTROY a Turner ala Pete Townshend...just once. Rick Turner might refuse to make him anymore if Lindsey did that. That would be hilarious.

It was not Townshend-like, but we share the exact same feeling. He really THREW his Turner over the stage. Actually, there was some control: He "bowled" it very hard. Pieces flew around. I got quite an adrenaline-kick out of it.

stefan 05-10-2004 02:49 PM

Yes, I think it's totally silly. I regard destroying things as absolutely senseless and concerning something like an instrument it's even worse.
In Oberhausen he did it with "control" which is double silly. Either I want to be Mr. Punk or Captain Destruction- then I throw it literally in pieces and to trash or I leave it (which I prefer as I mentioned) Guess it`s part of that whole show they put on the stage- the love and romantic crap as much as the rehearsed speeches, the hand on the heart after a solo and even this guitar behaviour.
On the other hand- if for every Turner he destroys we have to wait a month less for the next album- then I'm all for providing the man a bulldozer. :]

Gazza 05-10-2004 02:56 PM

He was very aggressive at Earls Court. He flung one of his guitars from one side of the stage to the other.

Personally, I'm loving watching it. Although obviously I'd rather him just give me the guitar rather than smash it up like that.

CarneVaca 05-10-2004 03:18 PM

What guitar does he use for Red Rover? Is it one of the Turner Renaissance models or the Model 1?

Chili, I don't think Rick would refuse to build Lindsey any more guitars. After all, Rick was kind of laughing about it when Lindsey tore a hole in the Renaissance model that he used in the infamous New Year's performance. :lol:

chiliD 05-10-2004 03:31 PM

Yeah, I guess so. And, if some schmuck can get his hands on one of the damaged ones and sell it for $17,000, who cares, right? :shrug:

strandinthewind 05-10-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
Yeah, I guess so. And, if some schmuck can get his hands on one of the damaged ones and sell it for $17,000, who cares, right? :shrug:

Why can't I be that schmuck :laugh:

larg 05-10-2004 08:49 PM

I'm hoping that at my next show, Lindsey will throw the Turner directly into the audience... at me!! :laugh: I'd catch it, but I dunno if I'd give it back...!

Adam R.

stefan 05-11-2004 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackaghost
Guitar violence is rock and roll.

It`s its caricature nowadays

CarneVaca 05-11-2004 08:19 AM

As B.B. King said, I've never understood why guitarists like to smash their instruments. This is their tool to create their art. If a pilot crashed his aircraft intentionally or a painter smashed her easel constantly, that would be perceived as counterproductive. At least.

Smashing a guitar!? Lame. There are better ways to express rebellion.

shackin'up 05-11-2004 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarneVaca
There are better ways to express rebellion.

True.

And I don't think Lindsey doesn't do it to express rebellion.
But why does it happen? There must be a reason. Isn't it a state of mind you reach after abusing your strings musically? Looks like Lindsey reaches that state. He doesn't reach that point after Big love or World Turning.

CarneVaca 05-11-2004 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up
True.

And I don't think Lindsey doesn't do it to express rebellion.
But why does it happen? There must be a reason. Isn't it a state of mind you reach after abusing your strings musically? Looks like Lindsey reaches that state. He doesn't reach that point after Big love or World Turning.

In Lindsey's case I agree it's not rebellion. From what I've read here, apparently he starts abusing the guitars when he's frustrated. Being such a perfectionist, when he is handed an out-of-tune instrument, or one that is in the wrong tuning, it must make him nuts.