The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rs? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=16476)

aleuzzi 10-12-2004 04:11 PM

Rs?

Has anyone come across a review of Christine's new album in Rolling Stone? It's the chief rag on popular music in the US and any review (hopefully positive) could help the surprisingly low sales people have been talking about. And aoart from that, I'm surprised RS didn't review her already.

jbrownsjr 10-12-2004 04:13 PM

I just saw it in EW. But no RS.

They gave her a pretty good review, but the album a fair review.

C+

blinker12 10-14-2004 04:17 AM

Here's the EW review:

CHRISTINE McVIE In the Meantime (Koch)

McVie displayed superb songwriting chops in Fleetwood Mac, but this solo effort is an uneven affair. At its best and fastest, Meantime recalls Gaucho-era Steely Dan, its nimble melodies highlighted by sleek yet warm production. The slower tunes, though, don't stand a chance, thanks to the insipid lyrics. C+ --Elisabeth Vincentelli

macfan 57 10-14-2004 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12
Here's the EW review:

CHRISTINE McVIE In the Meantime (Koch)

McVie displayed superb songwriting chops in Fleetwood Mac, but this solo effort is an uneven affair. At its best and fastest, Meantime recalls Gaucho-era Steely Dan, its nimble melodies highlighted by sleek yet warm production. The slower tunes, though, don't stand a chance, thanks to the insipid lyrics. C+ --Elisabeth Vincentelli

It's kind of funny this reviewer mentioned Gaucho. That's one of Christine's favorite albums. She's a big Steely Dan fan.

ThePenguin 10-14-2004 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
It's kind of funny this reviewer mentioned Gaucho. That's one of Christine's favorite albums. She's a big Steely Dan fan.

You beat me to it! :p I was going to say I'll bet she'd take that comparison as a big compliment.

-Lis

HomerMcvie 10-14-2004 01:33 PM

In the latest RS(came a couple days ago), there IS a review in the downloads section of the acoustic version of Friend. It was positive, although preferring the acoustic version to the album version.
No, dammit, I left it at work....so no direct quotes now. :cool:

macfan 57 10-14-2004 03:57 PM

Homer, can you post the review later? I love both the acoustic & album version of "Friend". You can really hear her keyboards on the acoustic version.

HomerMcvie 10-14-2004 08:38 PM

It's kinda short. It's under download reviews, page #101.

Christine McVie ***
Friend (acoustic)
iTunes
This acoustic track is much better than the glossy soft-rock version of Friend on the Fleetwood Mac singer's current solo disc: Here, the song is framed more simply, with McVie's peppery electric piano set against clacking percussion and pitter-pattering hand drums. Sometimes you just need to give a plain-spoken melody room to resonate.

That's it. Three stars ain't bad! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

macfan 57 10-15-2004 05:31 AM

Not bad at all. Thanks, Homer. :)