The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Elton John version of Don't stop (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54545)

SisterNightroad 11-02-2014 08:55 AM

Elton John version of Don't stop

I haven't heard this version until a few weeks ago, I'd like to think what Christine's fans think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjNFxVItCCk

chiliD 11-03-2014 10:25 AM

It was on the "Rumours" tribute album. It's ok. Wasn't the best cover on the album, but wasn't the worst, either. :shrug:

I think Elton wasn't in a good "space" during the time when he recorded it. It was either right before or right after his voice box surgery, which triggered a bunch of lifestyle changes for him.

shackin'up 11-03-2014 01:02 PM

It's G-d-mn aweful. Outrageously aweful.

chiliD 11-03-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 1152008)
It was on the "Rumours" tribute album. It's ok. Wasn't the best cover on the album, but wasn't the worst, either. :shrug:

I think Elton wasn't in a good "space" during the time when he recorded it. It was either right before or right after his voice box surgery, which triggered a bunch of lifestyle changes for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 1152027)
It's G-d-mn aweful. Outrageously aweful.

Well, yeah...:lol:

...I guess I've softened my stance on it in the ensuing years...but, that's pretty much how I felt when I first listened to it. :thumbsup:

MikeInNV 11-03-2014 09:40 PM

It's easily my least favorite from the tribute album. (But I am an Elton John fan.)

Macfan4life 11-07-2014 08:37 PM

OMG that is the worst Elton John song ever! Its also the worst remake on the tribute album. I remember when the album came out and I bought it at Specs. Some good remakes but was so disappointed in Elton John. I was like... Elton is one of the best piano players ever and he does not even play piano on the song.
Just wrong! Lazy lazy lazy cover. Shame on you Elton!

FuzzyPlum 11-08-2014 06:29 AM

I'll give Elton the benefit of the doubt. He may have put down the vocals which are so-so and had little other involvement. Stodgy, unnecessary, overly laid production. Not particularly inspiring and detracts from the basic charm of the original version.

Villavic 11-08-2014 11:39 AM

I'm an Elton fan but this version is bad
I was disappointed about the tribute album

PenguinHead 11-28-2014 10:47 PM

I'm a huge Elton John fan. He has had his share of hits and misses. His cover of Don't Stop is a big miss. I'm sure he obligatorily knocked that one off very quickly, and instantly forgot about it. It's also in our best interest to forget about!

Alison 12-03-2014 12:33 PM

Yeah it is pretty bad, not just Elton's singing, it is the whole arrangement. Cheesy keyboards and vocal arrangements and production.

mitzo 12-11-2014 09:34 PM

Jewel really did a great job on that tribute album, as did Sister Hazel and Matchbox 20.

MikeInNV 12-11-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1155866)
Jewel really did a great job on that tribute album, as did Sister Hazel and Matchbox 20.

I love Sister Hazel's "Gold Dust Woman."

David 12-20-2014 12:44 PM

If the young man who wrote and sang "High Flying Bird" and "Amoreena" actually thought this was worth submitting to the project, he must have been off his rocker.

PenguinHead 12-24-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1156381)
If the young man who wrote and sang "High Flying Bird" and "Amoreena" actually thought this was worth submitting to the project, he must have been off his rocker.

I think he just didn't care that much about it, so he didn't make much of a effort. Elton rarely does cover songs. To be noted, Bernie Taupin writes the words, Elton interprets them with the melodies.

welcomechris 08-13-2015 07:32 PM

Listened to this earlier today, and It was the worst cover I ever heard.