The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sardonic World (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=6476)

sodascouts 05-28-2002 06:31 PM

Sardonic World

Not to copycat an earlier thread, but I was on Jessica's site and I read that this was the name of the poem Lindsey reads before he does "Go Insane"....and this put me in mind of something.

Am I the only one who wishes he'd stop reading that poem onstage? I, for one, was very surprised when he read it again at this year's AHI. While it's a great poem (gotta love that title), we've been there, done that.

Plus, let's face it, the concert atmosphere is not very conducive to poetry recital - or at least, any poem that's over four lines. The audience kind of shuffles around restlessly waiting for him to be done with it, or perhaps use the opportunity to sit down and rest their weary bones - and then rudely complain when people like me remain standing (lol). I believe Lindsey might even sense this, as he usually rushes it a little bit.

And, I hate to say it, but having heard the poem before, few listen to it with rapt attention now.

I realize the poem must have personal significance to Lindsey, which must be why he keeps reciting it, and I'm not belittling that. I do, however, believe that it's time to cast this poem back into a corner of the attic where no one can look. It's lost its punch.

sulamith 05-28-2002 06:50 PM

Woo Hoo!
Amen to that!

Lindsey is such a dichotmy!

He seems to be so worried about repeating himself in some areas, i.e. the movie soundtrack songs we were discussing in the other thread, and then he will just beat a rotten, decomposing, petrified horse in other areas.

I really hope he mixes up some stuff this concert, because he has such a splendid body of work to draw from.

Let's just not do what takes the least effort!
Lindsey! Can you hear us?
Gimme some Shffle Riff, or what ever the name of that track is finally gonna be, and some Down on Rodeo, Come, Twist of Fate, and hopefully a thing or two that hasn't been leaked!

He is too good to keep doing what he did for the Dance, and so is Stevie. I know some of the old classics will inevitably be there, but I hope it is only a sprinkling.
No poem
Don't open with The Chain
Don't close with Farmer's Daughter
I could even do without acoustic Big Love as long as he replaces it with something like the above mentioned songs, or a total reworking of something else like Lola, My Love or Races are Run.

I'd love to hear Django or Bwana or even a punched up version of Trouble or Slow Dancing.

Stephanie would be perfection.

The possibilites are really endless!

Street_Dreamer 05-28-2002 08:55 PM

Come on! If it has significance to Lindsey and he feels that he should do it let him do it. Maybe it has a deeper meaning to him than everyone else thinks. And it really does annoy me when people don't give their attention to him when he does this. If you don't like it, fine but don't ruin the experience for others.

Matt

BellaDonnaGypsy 05-29-2002 05:17 AM

I like the poem! :) LOL! For some reason, it always keeps my attention, and I don't get bored with it. Of course, it's not hard for Lindsey to keep my attention ;) but I really like the poem. :nod: However, I don't think it work outside the context of being a... introduction... to Go Insane, so if he was not doing it with that song it might start to irritate me. And whether he will be doing Go Insane on the next tour remains to be seen... I have this feeling that the tour is going to be a radical departure from what The Dance tour was.

Laura.

jeffles 05-29-2002 08:49 AM

I'm sure this tour will be different. Last time, they didn't have a new album to draw from. You'll hear a lot of new stuff, and some old rarities too like Monday Morning, or Second Hand News, stuff like that. The dance tour was a greatest hits package, which LB referred to as a "nice lark", but repeating that formula doesn't seem like his style. I'd like to hear some stuff from Tusk, though, I can't say i'd miss the poetry reciting-unless he reads a different one...

wondergirl9847 05-29-2002 11:16 PM

What the heck does sardonic mean? LOL

I'm not sick of it either, but I haven't heard it that much, only on my AHI Go Insanes. What in the world does sardonic mean? I guess I could go look it up in the dictionary, huh?. And to think, I got some learnin in skool. :laugh: I want to try and memorize the poem, so if he DOES recite it at the CONCERT (:D:D:D:D) I can say it along with him! :)

Back from looking up the word...Cynical World. Got it.

bjk3047 05-29-2002 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sulamith
Let's just not do what takes the least effort!
Lindsey! Can you hear us?
Gimme some Shffle Riff, or what ever the name of that track is finally gonna be, and some Down on Rodeo, Come, Twist of Fate, and hopefully a thing or two that hasn't been leaked!

Maybe it's just me but isn't that a bit selfish? Shouldn't we be happy that he hits AHI at all? And correct me if I'm wrong...but HE DID DO SOMETHING NEW...Love Minus Zero ring a bell? I think we should be happy with anything he has to give us and leave it at that.
-Brian

David 05-30-2002 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bjk3047
I think we should be happy with anything he has to give us and leave it at that.
Interesting opinion.

I have another: I always like hearing something I haven't heard before from Lindsey Buckingham. It's more exciting & gives me a better sense of this artist's mind & heart to hear him stretch himself & move into unknown & possibly uncomfortable terrain -- even if his ideas don't always pan out. I'd like to be as optimistic as Jeffles is about the new tour, but I expect something a bit more reliant on past successes & formulas.

I like Sulamith's request to hear "Bwana," my favorite Lindsey tune. A rompy, unbelievably long "Bwana" jam would suit me just fine at any of these Fleetwood shows.

It's all a moot point, really; the band goes about its business regardless of what I think!

Les 05-30-2002 10:23 AM

sardonic

sardonic
Main Entry: sar·don·ic
Pronunciation: sär-'dä-nik
Function: adjective
Etymology: French sardonique, from Greek sardonios
Date: 1638
: disdainfully or skeptically humorous
: derisively mocking

He always performs it in the same place before Go Insane, so it must be, I would guess, something he sees inextricably linked to the meaning or feeling or inspiration of that song. "I lost my power in this world, cause I did not use it."

I don't object to poetry injected into a rock concert. It's one of those things that makes Lindsey just a little bit different from other performers who would never think it appropriate to put something like that in between rocking guitar solos.

The next tour lineup will have to be different, if for no other reason than because Christine won't be there. I'm interested to see how they deal with that. I don't really expect many, if any, solo songs, and I don't expect a set of mostly new material, but some. It'll be interesting to see if they dust off any older tunes they never tried or dropped long ago. But of course I could be all wrong.

I always enjoy hearing Lindsey try new things (including George's song on New Year's Eve), but if he performs some familiar things, especially at one-off charity shows, I can't really judge that. But he did take the time to be there at the request of a friend and for the benefit of a good cause and I did enjoy the newness he did inject into those AHI shows -- acoustic Gypsy in 2000 (since Stevie said it was Lindsey's idea to do it) and Love Minus Zero/No Limit in 2001 (which got Mick out there on stage too).

sodascouts 05-30-2002 02:02 PM

Re: sardonic

Quote:

Originally posted by Les

I don't object to poetry injected into a rock concert. It's one of those things that makes Lindsey just a little bit different from other performers who would never think it appropriate to put something like that in between rocking guitar solos.

Hmm. Good point. I still think he should get a new poem, though. :-)

witchywoman 05-30-2002 05:50 PM

Not only do I think the poem should stay, but I would really
like to hear more of Lindsey's poetry. He obviously has a
talent for writing it, and I would love to hear what else he
has in that glorious mind of his! :D

witchywoman:)

sodascouts 05-30-2002 07:04 PM

He wrote this poem?!

Quote:

Originally posted by witchywoman
Not only do I think the poem should stay, but I would really
like to hear more of Lindsey's poetry. He obviously has a
talent for writing it, and I would love to hear what else he
has in that glorious mind of his! :D

witchywoman:)

Lindsey wrote the poem? No way!

If that's the case, then everything changes. I thought he was just reciting a poem he read somewhere. If he wrote it himself...well, that's different. He can do that all he wants.

Wow, he wrote that? He's good.

wondergirl9847 05-30-2002 07:39 PM

Lindsey....The Poet

I KNOW!! I just recently found out that he wrote that, that is so cool!! I hope he does read more of his poems on the new tour!! :thumbsup: I love writing poetry, but I'm not that good at it. WRITE LINDSEY WRITE!!! :laugh::nod:

sulamith 05-31-2002 08:58 AM

Well I watched Leno last night with Paul McCartney, and guess what?

He says he is doing some poetry readings in his current show!
Well, needless to say I felt bad for berating Lindsey.
Ok, if Paul can do it, who am I to complain?

I still don't think it is wrong though to expect new and fresh stuff from Lindsey of all people though. I mean, it is what he is known for, after all. The need to move forward creatively has always been his creedo.

Why should now be any different?

Poetry writing and song writing are really very similar, and Lindsey has never really talked about how he writes, but we know Stevie writes stanzas of prose that later become songs.

As far as Sardonic World meaning so much to him, well that doesn't mean there aren't other things he has written that aren't equally as meaningful.

I want to hear some new stuff, or like I said before, there is enough of a back log that surely some older things could be updated and freshened and would really rock!

Skylark 05-31-2002 11:24 AM

Lindsey...Sardonically Poetic!!!

:wavey: Hi All Lindsey Fanatics!
I ...myself....like Jessica and witchywoman
adore ANYTHING LINDSEY puts out there for
our listening pleasure!!! :) :) :)
His poetry thrills me!:D His voice is soothing!

:blob2:LINDSEY RULES HIS MUSIC! :blob2: