The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Happy Anniversary BTM! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=43567)

HollywoodSteve 04-10-2010 10:19 PM

Happy Anniversary BTM!

"Behind The Mask" released 04-10-1990...20 years ago. Happy Anniversary to a wonderful and underrated album.

vivfox 04-10-2010 10:25 PM

From the day of its release until now my three favorite songs are the same: Freedom, In The Back Of My Mind and Behind The Mask.

HollywoodSteve 04-10-2010 10:46 PM

People often ask me what that great Stevie Nicks song is whenever I play "Affairs Of The Heart", whether it be at a party or in my car...It seems to catch people's attention.

Matthew 04-11-2010 03:59 AM

I have to join this and wish it happy anniversary too :).

StreetAngel95 04-11-2010 06:23 AM

A Heeeeuuuuuuugeeeee Happy Anniversary to the album that bore the genius that is "Affairs of the Heart"!

DefDumbandBlond 04-11-2010 01:40 PM

Happy happy! This one was released the same year I was born, can't believe it's been 20 years! :eek::laugh:

starshine 04-11-2010 01:41 PM

I was excited about this LP when it came out. It really was my first Mac LP to be excited about ....I had only been collecting since like '88/89 around that time....its not my favorite LP though but its not horrible......it wasn't the same without Lindsey but well I did like Rick more than Billy.....it was a different kinda a LP though.....ahh the memories....wow 20 yrs ago.....time sure flies.......:D

holidayroad 04-11-2010 02:11 PM

Just like Starshine, this was my first 'new' album to get excited about, since I became a fan during Tango. I always enjoyed Behind the Mask (with the exception of Stand on the Rock ,When the Sun Goes Down, and The Second Time). I missed that Lindsey wasn't part of FM, but I had time to get used to the idea before BTM came out. It's a solid album. Christine had some amazing songs and I like Billy Burnette. I didn't like Stevie's songs all that well, but Love Is Dangerous was a good change.

Musicman408 04-21-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefDumbandBlond (Post 882527)
Happy happy! This one was released the same year I was born, can't believe it's been 20 years! :eek::laugh:

I know, that's exactly my thinking. I've always viewed it as a newer Mac album, which it is, but it's still 20 years old.

jaycee 04-21-2010 10:35 AM

Fine! I'll go out and buy the album on Friday with my Borders gift voucher! I'd better not be disappointed like I was with SYW! :mad:
:D Well, we'll see what happens with it after I buy it anyway. :) If the songs are as good as "Heart Of Stone" , I'll certainly like it! :nod:

HejiraNYC 04-22-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycee (Post 885025)
:D Well, we'll see what happens with it after I buy it anyway. :) If the songs are as good as "Heart Of Stone" , I'll certainly like it! :nod:

Nothing on BTM is as good as "Heart of Stone" IMHO. However, despite its poppy zingy-ness, "Skies the Limit" is my pop (and grammatical) guilty pleasure. I'm also fond of "Affairs of the Heart" and "Hard Feelings." Otherwise, meh. Manage your expectations for this one.

michelej1 04-22-2010 12:00 PM

Heart of Stone was great. It is one of the songs that made The Chain so worth it for me.

I think BTM, the song is a stand out track on that album as well, though and I like it's dark vibe.

Michele

vivfox 04-23-2010 03:51 PM

http://popdose.com/popdose-flashback...hind-the-mask/

This article was in no mood to be copied or pasted, so read it for yourself. It's about Behind The Mask.

jaycee 05-20-2010 09:46 AM

I just wanted to say that I'm listening to this album for the first time now, and never in my wildest dreams expected to enjoy it as much as I am enjoying it right now! :blob2: I'm only up to "In The Back Of My Mind", but my expectations of it being an excellent album throughout have now been raised extremely high! :nod:

OldTimer 05-20-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycee (Post 891309)
I just wanted to say that I'm listening to this album for the first time now, and never in my wildest dreams expected to enjoy it as much as I am enjoying it right now! :blob2: I'm only up to "In The Back Of My Mind", but my expectations of it being an excellent album throughout have now been raised extremely high! :nod:

Outstanding, jaycee! :thumbsup: We need more open-minded Ledgies like you!!!!

If you REALLY want to get adventurous, download the outtakes of the Behind the Mask sessions here:

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90...kes-69551.html

There are some great songs that didn't make the album (and should have), and vastly different versions of the songs that did....

Way to go, jaycee! :blob1:

Edited to add: I know I've said it before, but on the outtakes there's a version of the title song with only Christine's voice and Mick's drums that would melt steel......