The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best Album-Closer (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54943)

DauphineMarie 02-13-2015 05:00 PM

Favourite Album Closer

Which song do you think is the best Album Closer?

1. The Highwayman
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You?
4. I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes)
5. Desert Angel
6. Jane
7. Love Is
8. Cheaper than Free

Fannymac 02-13-2015 06:59 PM

Before 24 KARAT GOLD's release, I would have gone with either "Has Anyone...." or "Love Is", but I've waited so long for "She Loves Him Still"....!

mitzo 02-13-2015 07:25 PM

I love all of these, yes, Jane and Blue Eyes included. Highwayman, like most of BD, leaves me wondering WTF.

Machu 02-13-2015 07:29 PM

Love is! After I listen to "Fall From Grace" I immediately feel like I need to listen to "Love is". It's a nice calm and beautiful way to close the album.

Dreamz19 02-13-2015 10:02 PM

I had a difficult time with this one, but I voted for HAEWAFY. Beauty and the Beast, Desert Angel, Blue Eyes and Love Is are my favorites as well.

michelej1 02-13-2015 10:07 PM

Beauty and the Beast and She Loves Him Still are great closers and I thought BATB was the best for a long time, but I went with Love Is. I not only think Love Is is a great song, but it closes reminding us of the entire theme of the album. Love is imperfect, love is waiting, love is resignation, love is longing, love is beautiful, love is painful, love is.

Michele

bombaysaffires 02-13-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1160689)
Beauty and the Beast and She Loves Him Still are great closers and I thought BATB was the best for a long time, but I went with Love Is. I not only think Love Is is a great song, but it closes reminding us of the entire theme of the album. Love is imperfect, love is waiting, love is resignation, love is longing, love is beautiful, love is painful, love is.

Michele

agree with your logic, but that "corner of her MOOOOOUUUUUTTTHHHH" line just…….:distress:

kills the song for me. Love what it starts out as, and what it could have been like if the vocal was better.

I voted for BATB but had to think about Has Anyone…. but BATB won out because I think it was a really cool, ballsy move to close a rock/pop album with it.

DauphineMarie 02-13-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1160690)
agree with your logic, but that "corner of her MOOOOOUUUUUTTTHHHH" line just…….:distress:

kills the song for me. Love what it starts out as, and what it could have been like if the vocal was better.

I voted for BATB but had to think about Has Anyone…. but BATB won out because I think it was a really cool, ballsy move to close a rock/pop album with it.

I agree about Love Is. Even though BATB is one of my favourite songs of all time, I chose The Highwayman because to me, that song is the story of Stevie's life.. Her career, her loves, and her loss are foretold in that song. Save for the weird dragonfly acid trip, I love it. ;)

Macfanforever 02-14-2015 01:51 AM

I picked Beauty and the Beast.I love that tune.I do love Has Anyone and Love is.
I always love her ballads probably any will work for me.

Jondalar 02-14-2015 04:49 AM

It was between Beauty, Highwayman and Has Anyone for me. Had to go with Highwayman. It is a well-written song.

PenguinHead 02-14-2015 09:12 AM

I feel that Beauty and the Beast is better at midpoint in the set. Just because it's a dramatic song doesn't make it a good closer. Lyrically it lacks the personal intimacy which leaves an audience with an emotional sense of connection. Songs like Landslide or Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You have those qualities/I]. A song derived from an old movie theme doesn't carry weight of what Stevie represents. Close with a bang, or with ballad that is more emotionally relatable.

Though she inexplicably has never performed it, I always thought The Highway Man would be the quintessential closer. It's genuinely personal and it sums up her life and who she is. Has Anyone Ever Written has had it's time as closer- find something else!. Love Is was an inspired choice,but I agree the song doesn't enough teeth to it. In my fantasy, after Edge of 17, the lights all come up, and it becomes a big sing-a-long between the audience and Stevie singing It's Late. It speaks to the moment,leaving the audience in a more light-hearted mood.

Look at that clock, it's gotta be wrong. I hope this won't be our last date. It's late, we gotta get on home.

sorcerer999 02-14-2015 12:15 PM

There's no way for me to choose. It's a three-way tie between "Beauty", "HAEWAFY" and "Love Is". I find it hard to choose between them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1160690)
agree with your logic, but that "corner of her MOOOOOUUUUUTTTHHHH" line just…….:distress:kills the song for me.

Interesting. That's my absolute favorite part of the song. :D

Hawkeye 02-14-2015 12:26 PM

Wow this poll makes me realize how much better Stevie's openers are to her closers. Picking between all her opening songs if like pulling teeth to decide they're all so incredible. I can't even chose a best opener between her 3 albums this century.

But this batch? I'll take has anyone ever... But now realize none of Stevie's albums end on a high note like MANY FM albums do ( why, show me a smile, GDW, So Afraid)

Also Stevie's solo ballads pale to her Mac ones. Storms beautiful child and crystal are all top 20 maybe some of them top 10 fleetwood Mac songs. Cant say one song in this poll makes my top 20 stevie solo sings.

bombaysaffires 02-14-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorcerer999 (Post 1160717)
There's no way for me to choose. It's a three-way tie between "Beauty", "HAEWAFY" and "Love Is". I find it hard to choose between them.

Interesting. That's my absolute favorite part of the song. :D

I love the line, I just don't like the delivery. :sorry:

Jondalar 02-14-2015 05:51 PM

Geesh Love Is isn't even a good song. Bland, like alot of that album.