The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So why did they break up? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57376)

pattyfan 07-25-2017 09:33 AM

So why did they break up?

My niece asked me why Stevie and Lindsey broke up, and I realized that I never really knew why. Ditto for Christine and John. Or who broke up with whom. If this is common knowledge, then it's even more embarrassing since I consider myself to be somewhat of a fan. :) If this has been discussed to death, maybe someone can refer me to that discussion. Thanks.

Kevin

button-lip 07-25-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyfan (Post 1214416)
My niece asked me why Stevie and Lindsey broke up, and I realized that I never really knew why. Ditto for Christine and John. Or who broke up with whom. If this is common knowledge, then it's even more embarrassing since I consider myself to be somewhat of a fan. :) If this has been discussed to death, maybe someone can refer me to that discussion. Thanks.

Kevin

Only they know the real reason in both cases. At least Christine and John remained such good friends, probably because Christine isn't Stevie. :D

I think in Stevie and Lindsey's case, they wanted different things. She wanted a career, fame, to be a legend, whatever. He wanted a career but also a family. Obviously, they drifted apart.

In Christine and John's case, I think it's harder to see the real reason, because they're both down to earth people.

SisterNightroad 07-25-2017 10:27 AM

Actually, like with everything else, with time explanation changed within each interview, but the oldest and in my opinion closer to the "truth" interview in which the matter is discussed is this one: http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/archive/tijd.htm

P.S. Now since The Blue Letter Archive doesn't work properly I can't find the one in which they talked a bit more about the McVies, I actually had trouble finding that specific interview above too, however it was mostly due to John's alcohol addiction.

jenniferuk 07-25-2017 10:35 AM

The bio sections on this site are worth a read, in particular the McVie info as John gave Lis (former site owner) edits, IIRC.
http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...d=73&Itemid=89

Here's an excerpt CM quote

I daresay, if I hadn't joined the band, we might still be together. I just think it's impossible to work in the band with your spouse. Imagine the tension of living with someone 24 hours a day, on the road, in an already stressful situation, with the added negativity of too much alcohol. It just blew apart." Anyone who has taken a holiday with someone knows how after about a week in close quarters, tempers start to wear thin, and little irritations start to grow into major blow-ups. I can’t fathom the strain of doing this for years instead of days or weeks, and dealing not only with your spouse, but also with the little idiosyncrasies of other individual band members. Add to that a poor diet, cramped travel cars, a nightmarish laundry situation, dirty hotel rooms, and lack of privacy--Mick has said that at times they had to sleep three or four to a room-- not exactly a recipe for marital bliss. But the root of the problems really seemed to lie in the fact that they were just together too much: “John and I spent too much time in each other’s pockets. It’s pressure, being in the public eye. When people get married they can live in a house with more than one room. But on tour you’re in a hotel room together, you leave the hotel together, you drive together, eat together, sit on the plane next to each other—you’re like Siamese twins.”

jbrownsjr 07-25-2017 10:49 AM

^^^ That's an amazing answer!! Thanks, Jennifer.

HomerMcvie 07-25-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1214417)
Only they know the real reason in both cases. At least Christine and John remained such good friends, probably because Christine isn't Stevie. :D

In Christine and John's case, I think it's harder to see the real reason, because they're both down to earth people.

:xoxo:

John's alcoholism. He's said, "she saw me at my worst (drunk), one too many times. She'd had enough".

button-lip 07-25-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1214422)
:xoxo:

John's alcoholism. He's said, "she saw me at my worst (drunk), one too many times. She'd had enough".

Poor John! :(

Luckily, it changed with Julie in his life. :nod:

Haha, "nightmarish laundry situation". I'm just laughing thinking of those two arguing over dirty socks and underwear! :laugh:

GypsySorcerer 07-25-2017 11:19 AM

Well, they've certainly left us enough in their lyrics and interview comments to speculate. :laugh: Although this is all conjecture, my opinion is that Stevie and Lindsey were just downright incompatible. I think they had a musical and physical connection. But I also think they struggled with power dynamics (i.e. both wanting to be "in change" or in "control"). Lindsey seemed to be the very jealous/possessive type, and I don't think Stevie is one to tolerate that ("what you did not need was a woman who was stronger"). I also think they were very competitive with each other, and I don't care what anybody says, too much competition in a relationship is never a good thing. Like the quote of Lindsey's about them never really being friends, even though they were lovers. I do think he was crazy about her (and let's be honest, what guy wouldn't have been) and was crushed when they broke up, as evidenced by the bitterness in some of his lyrics.

As for John and Chris, the booze obviously and tension of being in the same band, which has been mentioned.

sue 07-25-2017 12:32 PM

I also think that at the time Stevie was wildly excited with their new fame, where as Lindsey wasn't....The music and production was the all important thing to him.

Stevie like the adulation and he just didn't get that, he liked to be in control of most things and suddenly he was not in control of her.

I don't know for sure but I think he's the quiet introvert and she's full of life and full of herself, once they were famous that was the kiss of death for their relationship..

button-lip 07-25-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1214427)
I also think that at the time Stevie was wildly excited with their new fame, where as Lindsey wasn't....The music and production was the all important thing to him.

Stevie like the adulation and he just didn't get that, he liked to be in control of most things and suddenly he was not in control of her.

I don't know for sure but I think he's the quiet introvert and she's full of life and full of herself, once they were famous that was the kiss of death for their relationship..

Accurate description of their relationship. :xoxo:

Oh, she's full of herself, that's for sure. Especially these days. :rolleyes:

bombaysaffires 07-25-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenniferuk (Post 1214420)
The bio sections on this site are worth a read, in particular the McVie info as John gave Lis (former site owner) edits, IIRC.
http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...d=73&Itemid=89

Here's an excerpt CM quote

I daresay, if I hadn't joined the band, we might still be together. I just think it's impossible to work in the band with your spouse. Imagine the tension of living with someone 24 hours a day, on the road, in an already stressful situation, with the added negativity of too much alcohol. It just blew apart." Anyone who has taken a holiday with someone knows how after about a week in close quarters, tempers start to wear thin, and little irritations start to grow into major blow-ups. I can’t fathom the strain of doing this for years instead of days or weeks, and dealing not only with your spouse, but also with the little idiosyncrasies of other individual band members. Add to that a poor diet, cramped travel cars, a nightmarish laundry situation, dirty hotel rooms, and lack of privacy--Mick has said that at times they had to sleep three or four to a room-- not exactly a recipe for marital bliss. But the root of the problems really seemed to lie in the fact that they were just together too much: “John and I spent too much time in each other’s pockets. It’s pressure, being in the public eye. When people get married they can live in a house with more than one room. But on tour you’re in a hotel room together, you leave the hotel together, you drive together, eat together, sit on the plane next to each other—you’re like Siamese twins.

As much as everyone likes to get into the more salacious differences between Stevie and Lindsey, the largest portion of their break up is due to these exact same reasons.

Stevie would talk more about that aspect of things earlier on in their career; as they became more vindictive towards each other she focused on other things.

But she would say things early on like it's hard to be in a band with someone AND also be their supportive girlfriend. She used examples like, say Lindsey was having trouble nailing down a particular guitar part on a song. She as his GF should be all about making him feel better "you're great man, don't listen to them" etc etc But then she's like you know, I"m also one of the other 4 people in the studio getting frustrated and saying "If you could just get this guitar part right we could finish this song that we've been doing for 4 days" or whatever.

So again the challenges of being together 24/7 take their toll.

Add to this the fact that once their already shaky relationship moved from BN days to FM days and Stevie started getting more people to spend time with (she always said in the BN days she didn't have girlfriends to hang with) and then she started getting more fame, and Lindsey had some control issues.... that just made it impossible.

blinker12 07-25-2017 01:49 PM

Re: Stevie and Lindsey, this is interesting, from 2009:

Asked when she knew the romance was really over, Nicks said, "The day his first child was born. I knew that was it ... that was the definitive thing."

http://www.mtv.com/news/1609042/flee...sey-buckingam/

Frankenstein 07-25-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1214431)

Asked when she knew the romance was really over, Nicks said, "The day his first child was born. I knew that was it ... that was the definitive thing."

I've always thought that was interesting. Makes you wonder about what really happened during The Dance.

HomerMcvie 07-25-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1214431)

That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever read. What an idiot! :lol::lol::lol:

sue 07-25-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 1214434)
I've always thought that was interesting. Makes you wonder about what really happened during The Dance.

I think during The Dance quite a lot went down...
If you look at Stevie she looks incredibly sexy, that kind of look
when you're in love and enjoying loads of......well you know what.

And Lindsey has a kind of "hey, guess what guys" knowing look.

Unfortunately he had a girlfriend and Stevie suddenly remembered herself.