The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Almost a year later....thoughts of the new band. (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58468)

BLY 12-20-2018 11:27 PM

Almost a year later....thoughts of the new band.

Ok, after almost a year after this new version of my all time favorite band I still feel the same as I did when this was announced. If this band would have had some new music to tour behind I would have felt 100% different. Neil Finn and Crowded House is in my top 5 of all time favorites. I think the harmonies of these three voices could have been amazing (in the studio) I still don’t plan on seeing them live when they come to my area next year. I have nothing but great memories of all their shows I’ve seen. Lindsey’s solo tour this year gave me my MAC ATTACK for 2018.

secret love 12-21-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1246776)
Ok, after almost a year after this new version of my all time favorite band I still feel the same as I did when this was announced. If this band would have had some new music to tour behind I would have felt 100% different. Neil Finn and Crowded House is in my top 5 of all time favorites. I think the harmonies of these three voices could have been amazing (in the studio) I still don’t plan on seeing them live when they come to my area next year. I have nothing but great memories of all their shows I’ve seen. Lindsey’s solo tour this year gave me my MAC ATTACK for 2018.

MAC ATTACK BY FLEETWOOD MAC
1. Hunger
2. My Mother's Rings
3. I Got You (Stevie and Neil vocal)
4. Don't Dream it's Over (Stevie and Neil vocal)
5. Ride This Road
6. All Over Again (Duet version)
7. Songbird (featuring special guest Lindsey Buckingham)
8. Farmer's Daughter
9. City of Hope
10. Grandfather Song
11. It Takes Time (Full band version)

jwd 12-21-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

I, like Lindsey, was quite visceral at first. Now, I like Lindsey, am looking to the future, not the past. I find myself able to listen to the past FM records and even Stevie Nicks solo material, enjoying it for what it is. But I'm a bigger Lindsey fan now and am anticipating the new music coming from him and feeling blase about the current nostalgia Mac.

David 12-21-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

If this band would have had some new music to tour behind I would have felt 100% different.

I feel somewhat along these lines. I doubt I'd have considered a new album an instant classic or a masterpiece. But I certainly would have welcomed it more than a long arena tour built around The Chain, Rhiannon, Dreams, Gold Dust Woman, Don't Stop, and so on. I'm just not interested in that stuff onstage anymore. I've been listening to it for 41 or 42 years in concert, and I've been through hundreds of audio tapes and video tapes listening to yet more performances of the same songs. I'm done. If there's new studio work, I'll certainly check it out on Spotify, as I do with LB's and SN's solo albums and last year's McVie-Buckingham CD. But this continual rehash of seventies hits serving as the core of every concert tour has lost all appeal to me—especially given the way that these songs are performed night after night. (You'd think that at least once in forty years of Dreams live, the band would have tried it in a different way—for example, acoustically or with different choral harmonies cooked up.)

I haven't seen Fleetwood Mac play in person since 2003—I can't be bothered. If the current grouping is going to continue touring its big circus for years to come, I'll let others enjoy it but I'll find other live events to attend.

DownOnRodeo 12-21-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1246810)
I feel somewhat along these lines. I doubt I'd have considered a new album an instant classic or a masterpiece. But I certainly would have welcomed it more than a long arena tour built around The Chain, Rhiannon, Dreams, Gold Dust Woman, Don't Stop, and so on. I'm just not interested in that stuff onstage anymore. I've been listening to it for 41 or 42 years in concert, and I've been through hundreds of audio tapes and video tapes listening to yet more performances of the same songs. I'm done. If there's new studio work, I'll certainly check it out on Spotify, as I do with LB's and SN's solo albums and last year's McVie-Buckingham CD. But this continual rehash of seventies hits serving as the core of every concert tour has lost all appeal to me—especially given the way that these songs are performed night after night. (You'd think that at least once in forty years of Dreams live, the band would have tried it in a different way—for example, acoustically or with different choral harmonies cooked up.)

I haven't seen Fleetwood Mac play in person since 2003—I can't be bothered. If the current grouping is going to continue touring its big circus for years to come, I'll let others enjoy it but I'll find other live events to attend.

David! You seem to be of the mistaken notion that the band's injunction Don't Stop is a mere suggestion! It is an imperative order, and must be obeyed.

cbBen 12-22-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1246810)
this continual rehash of seventies hits serving as the core of every concert tour has lost all appeal to me—especially given the way that these songs are performed night after night. (You'd think that at least once in forty years of Dreams live, the band would have tried it in a different way—for example, acoustically or with different choral harmonies cooked up.)

Here's Stevie and Lindsey doing "Gypsy" acoustically at a benefit concert:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3db...2155231/cff0a6

Nicks Fan 12-22-2018 09:56 PM

I agree completely. If there had been a legit reason to fire him and they had new music to play I would have been excited. The set list really isn't that different from previous tours. Ever tour since 2003 has had at least a handful of songs either never performed live or not performed in some time while still keeping the same 8-12 songs each show (Dreams, Rhiannon, BL, NGBA, Gypsy,ISA, GDW,WT, CHAIN GYOW DS ETC). It doesn't make sense to pay big money to hear mostly the same old same old.

Nicks Fan 12-22-2018 10:05 PM

Plus if you see Lindsey or SN solo allot of those FM songs are in the set list so it gets boring hearing those same songs year after year.

BLY 12-22-2018 11:31 PM

Back to my point.....

Go see Lindsey’s latest tour for a fresh set of songs with some that have never been played live before. My favorite tour of his to date.

Nicks Fan 12-23-2018 12:25 AM

I did see his solo show in Kitchener and loved it.

sleepless child 12-23-2018 08:56 AM

Almost a year later, it's still weird to me. I didn't go to the show, but I did watch online. They are professionals and have been doing this for years, so yes it was a good show, especially at the beginning with the setlist,

but it still isn't the same without Lindsey, they will probably not do an album and I doubt if this group tours together again.

sleepless child 12-23-2018 08:58 AM

A lot of people that went to the shows said they looked like they were having a lot of fun and how relaxed it was etc....

But when I saw the group several times during the Billy/Rick years it looked like they were having a lot of fun onstage and they did record a pretty good album Behind the Mask, but Christine and Stevie both left and Christine said it just wasn't the same without Lindsey.

SteveMacD 12-23-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1246875)
A lot of people that went to the shows said they looked like they were having a lot of fun and how relaxed it was etc....

But when I saw the group several times during the Billy/Rick years it looked like they were having a lot of fun onstage and they did record a pretty good album Behind the Mask, but Christine and Stevie both left and Christine said it just wasn't the same without Lindsey.

Not exactly the same equation, though. Billy and Rick were a far cry from Neil and Mike.

blinker12 12-23-2018 03:55 PM

I saw them in 2003, too, for Say You Will. I wasn’t electrified, but at least they were supporting some new material. Then at the invitation of friends I saw them in 2013. This time I felt the show was sad. “Sad Angel,” in fact, was the highlight. It was the only moment where there was something new or different to someone who’d been following the band for any length of time.

I haven’t felt any interest in seeing them since, not even when Christine rejoined. To watch my favorite band of all time simply treading water - in spite of lineup changes - makes me too sad. The footage I’ve seen of the current tour has given me no second thoughts.

I have seen and enjoyed Nicks solo and Buckingham-McVie, though.

BLY 12-23-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1246884)
I saw them in 2003, too, for Say You Will. I wasn’t electrified, but at least they were supporting some new material. Then at the invitation of friends I saw them in 2013. This time I felt the show was sad. “Sad Angel,” in fact, was the highlight. It was the only moment where there was something new or different to someone who’d been following the band for any length of time.

I haven’t felt any interest in seeing them since, not even when Christine rejoined. To watch my favorite band of all time simply treading water - in spite of lineup changes - makes me too sad. The footage I’ve seen of the current tour has given me no second thoughts.

I have seen and enjoyed Nicks solo and Buckingham-McVie, though.

Exactly the way I feel. Seeing the Buckingham/McVie show last year with them performing 8 of the 10 new songs said it all.......it’s just a shame Mick and John weren’t with them. I’m sure they would have loved to have done that tour.