The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Chain: Stevie “Takes One for the Team” (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59098)

aleuzzi 11-19-2020 12:03 AM

The Chain: Stevie “Takes One for the Team”

So, Stevie Nicks is now saying that her contribution to “The Chain” was an example of her “taking one for the team.” She claims she gave up her beloved song so that Lindsey could feature his brilliant solo. Of course she says she’s “glad she did it”—so maybe that’s something.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/stev...mac-the-chain/

Once again she is highlighting all she sacrificed for “her band.” We never hear Christine complain that her song “Keep Me There” was sacrificed for the sake of Lindsey’s vision. Instrumentally, the final version of “The Chain” is heavily dependent on the McVie’s original backing track, but whenever she speaks of the song she highlights the collaborative way in which the song came into being.

I’m not minimizing Stevie’s contribution to the song, which is enormous, but I am tired of her doing these little PR-driven interviews where she positions herself as a martyr for the FM cause. It’s exhausting.

jbrownsjr 11-19-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1262021)
So, Stevie Nicks is now saying that her contribution to “The Chain” was an example of her “taking one for the team.” She claims she gave up her beloved song so that Lindsey could feature his brilliant solo. Of course she says she’s “glad she did it”—so maybe that’s something.

Once again she is highlighting all she sacrificed for “her band.” We never hear Christine complain that her song “Keep Me There” was sacrificed for the sake of Lindsey’s vision. Instrumentally, the final version of “The Chain” is heavily dependent on the McVie’s original backing track, but whenever she speaks of the song she highlights the collaborative way in which the song came into being.

I’m not minimizing Stevie’s contribution to the song, which is enormous, but I am tired of her doing these little PR-driven interviews where she positions herself as a martyr for the FM cause. It’s exhausting.

What a big surprise. I thought for sure she was give up her amazing compositional skills without letting anyone know. I can't believe this!!

elle 11-19-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1262021)

informative discussion in the thread here https://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showp...YoI3eIlzLlMLeo

bombaysaffires 11-19-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1262027)
informative discussion in the thread here https://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showp...YoI3eIlzLlMLeo

great link, elle.

the description there matches Stevie's original description of her contribution from the late 70s/very early 80s (Tusk era) interviews. And is certainly consistent with the working versions of Butter Cookie/Keep Me There we've since seen released.

secondhandchain 11-19-2020 11:17 PM

Stevie literally could have re written new lyrics to her beloved song. Which did become that song form pratical magic. Think of her originial melody and the pacing. Even I could write lyyrics to that and I'm no lyric writer. SHE.IS.THE.WORST....and continues to get worser as the days go by. UGH

aleuzzi 11-20-2020 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1262027)

Thanks for reposting. I enjoyed that original discussion thread. One thing not noted in that old post is that LB reworked the music of the verses from the chord structure of Christine’s verses in “Keep Me There.” So it’s not just the music of the chorus that she contributes to the finished “Chain”; she essentially co-wrote the verse music, too.

secondhandchain 11-20-2020 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1262033)
Thanks for reposting. I enjoyed that original discussion thread. One thing not noted in that old post is that LB reworked the music of the verses from the chord structure of Christine’s verses in “Keep Me There.” So it’s not just the music of the chorus that she contributes to the finished “Chain”; she essentially co-wrote the verse music, too.

If you play Keep me there, you can sing Stevie's lyrics over Christines part that was already recorded. Christine wrote the music. Stevie contributed a few lines and acts like the bulk of the songs is hers. UGH

aleuzzi 11-20-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1262038)
If you play Keep me there, you can sing Stevie's lyrics over Christines part that was already recorded. Christine wrote the music. Stevie contributed a few lines and acts like the bulk of the songs is hers. UGH

Exactly. And while LB clearly reworked the music for the verses, he kept all of the original chord structure.

jbrownsjr 11-20-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1262042)
Exactly. And while LB clearly reworked the music for the verses, he kept all of the original chord structure.

You mean Stevie didn't re-work her parts that she contributed to make this all work?

aleuzzi 11-20-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1262044)
You mean Stevie didn't re-work her parts that she contributed to make this all work?

No, she just sacrificed and sacrificed and dragged her hair shirt along the Persian carpet.

jbrownsjr 11-20-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1262048)
No, she just sacrificed and sacrificed and dragged her hair shirt along the Persian carpet.

It's a wonder Lindsey and Christine were able to get by without her.

Justin Reach 11-21-2020 05:24 AM

My opinion of Stevie keeps going lower and lower whilst her ego gets bigger and bigger.

sue 11-21-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1262055)
I guess so. I don't remember exactly, but it was just about her being full of herself. I wish I knew why as well.
It's a Mystery To Me.

Edit- I remember that I used a phrase that my grandma(who would be 93 now) always used to say, about someone's rear end and buttermilk. Grandma was bad. Very bad. I miss her.

I can’t remember what you said, so it couldn’t have been too bad(for you)
But I did have pursed lips and took a sharp intake of breath when I read it...hahaha..
I don’t care anyway.. I’m having that British delicacy...Egg and homemade proper chips for dinner !!

Storms123 11-21-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

I would think Karen gets paid enough to fact check her from time to time....prevent her from sounding like a babbling loon???

michelej1 11-24-2020 01:34 AM

David,

I don't think your original post was deleted. I don't recall deleting a post regarding buttermilk and Stevie's bottom. But please don't fill up a thread with queries about why your post was deleted. That's not going to serve any purpose.

michelej1 11-24-2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

At least this time she didn't say that Lindsey and Chris struggled for 9 months and couldn't come up with anything and finally had to beg for her help. She's said that in the past. Lindsey and Chris were such deadweights.

Macfan4life 11-24-2020 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1262044)

She did. She also told John how to play the bass part. It was a completely different bass line until she got involved.

jbrownsjr 11-24-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1262083)
She did. She also told John how to play the bass part. It was a completely different bass line until she got involved.

What I loved about Stevie is how she would tell each member how she wanted something played. Then she arranged the harmonies, ran into the studio then spliced all the parts together with Ken.
She had to keep herself busy while the instrumentalists tried to nail down what she wanted. God, they never would have survived without her.

Macfan4life 11-24-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1262084)
What I loved about Stevie is how she would tell each member how she wanted something played. Then she arranged the harmonies, ran into the studio then spliced all the parts together with Ken.
She had to keep herself busy while the instrumentalists tried to nail down what she wanted. God, they never would have survived without her.

Its a little known fact that the opening bass part of Sister Honey was the original bass part of The Chain. Stevie changed it and played it on the piano first for John. She later saved the Sister Honey opening bass part for her third solo album. And the rest they say is rock n roll history.

jbrownsjr 11-24-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1262087)
Its a little known fact that the opening bass part of Sister Honey was the original bass part of The Chain. Stevie changed it and played it on the piano first for John. She later saved the Sister Honey opening bass part for her third solo album. And the rest they say is rock n roll history.

I heard that she learned of the proposed running order for Rumours (from Judy Wong). She walked from her mic. in the recording studio, through the control room and went right to marketing and completely changed it to what it is now!! Thank God!! :thumbsup:

Street_Dreamer 11-25-2020 01:47 AM

I can't wait to hear the story of how Mick wanted her to join the band but she insisted that her and Lindsey were a package deal and if he wasn't invited, she wasn't going to join.

Villavic 11-25-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer (Post 1262091)
I can't wait to hear the story of how Mick wanted her to join the band but she insisted that her and Lindsey were a package deal and if he wasn't invited, she wasn't going to join.

Wasn't Lindsey who said they were a package deal? He said so ("sort of politely")in the Making of Rumours, Classic Albums video.

Mick implied the same in his book:

Olsen replied that Lindsey was part of a team, the other half of which was his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks. They had a band called Buckingham Nicks and were very much a pair. Keith said he didn't think Lindsey would be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac without Stevie.

aleuzzi 11-25-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1262093)
Wasn't Lindsey who said they were a package deal? He said so ("sort of politely")in the Making of Rumours, Classic Albums video.

Olsen replied that Lindsey was part of a team, the other half of which was his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks. They had a band called Buckingham Nicks and were very much a pair. Keith said he didn't think Lindsey would be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac without Stevie.

The last few replies to the post have been ironic.

jbrownsjr 11-25-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1262094)
The last few replies to the post have been ironic.

I was serious. :xoxo:

Macfan4life 11-25-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1262093)

According to Ms Nicks:

They didn't want a singer and already had a lady singer in the band. So she became a house cat (those are her words). They wanted Lindsey bad enough that she came with the deal even though they did not want her.

They all did have the same statement that it was really up to Christine. If Christine did not want her......she would have the final say.
The irony that Christine did not have the final say when it was time to fire Lindsey.

jbrownsjr 11-25-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1262097)
According to Ms Nicks:

They didn't want a singer and already had a lady singer in the band. So she became a house cat (those are her words). They wanted Lindsey bad enough that she came with the deal even though they did not want her.

They all did have the same statement that it was really up to Christine. If Christine did not want her......she would have the final say.
The irony that Christine did not have the final say when it was time to fire Lindsey.

Stevie: "I begged Mick and Christine. I said, 'We need Lindsey, I'll never be in this band without him. And I told her, I said Christine, I'm not the boss, but you can't fire someone like Lindsey. Our legacy depends on it. And I knew in my heart if they somehow justified firing Lindsey, Christine would bring on her friend from the Heartbreakers. And she did. I told them both I was leaving, but in the end I toured and it turned out ok. But, I was heartbroken because he was there for me in the beginning."

aleuzzi 11-25-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1262098)
Stevie: "I begged Mick and Christine. I said, 'We need Lindsey, I'll never be in this band without him. And I told her, I said Christine, I'm not the boss, but you can't fire someone like Lindsey. Our legacy depends on it. And I knew in my heart if they somehow justified firing Lindsey, Christine would bring on her friend from the Heartbreakers. And she did. I told them both I was leaving, but in the end I toured and it turned out ok. But, I was heartbroken because he was there for me in the beginning."

Stevie, 2020: “I wrote ‘Landslide’ in 1974 about Lindsey’s firing in 2018. I realize that now. A dream I had in 1995 about John Lewis, MLK, and the Kennedy’s clarified this for me.”

elle 11-25-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1262098)

this is pretty brilliant! and she actually did dare to make up some similar crap in one of those recent interviews - how she's oh so heartbroken about Lindsey not being in the band anymore like she absolutely had nothing to do with pushing him out.

Storms123 11-26-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1262101)
this is pretty brilliant! and she actually did dare to make up some similar crap in one of those recent interviews - how she's oh so heartbroken about Lindsey not being in the band anymore like she absolutely had nothing to do with pushing him out.

She is completely bonkers. Every time she opens her mouth, it's cringeworthy.

Villavic 11-26-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1262097)
They all did have the same statement that it was really up to Christine.

Mick's first book implied the same:

When I first asked her about having another woman in the band, I knew she had some natural reservations, even though she didn't say anything. Being the lady in the band, a lady who first and foremost was a musician and one of the lads she just said, "Do me a favor as long as me and Stevie hit it off everything will be fine, 'cause there's nothing worse than having a couple of ladies in the band who don't like each other." But at this dinner I saw that Stevie was extremely sympathetic, and that the two girls were hitting it off real well.

jbrownsjr 11-27-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1262101)

This is what Stevie Nicks does. She pushes the light onto herself. She takes zero or near zero responsibility for her own vile actions. She pushes the blame onto others or even worse - the victim. And it's all ok because she makes more money than the rest of them. Pretty soon Lindsey told them he was leaving at Musicares and that's why she was so upset. Because remember people, in the end, they were "like" husband and wife" - - - 45 years ago!!!

aleuzzi 11-28-2020 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1262121)
This is what Stevie Nicks does. She pushes the light onto herself. She takes zero or near zero responsibility for her own vile actions. She pushes the blame onto others or even worse - the victim. And it's all ok because she makes more money than the rest of them. Pretty soon Lindsey told them he was leaving at Musicares and that's why she was so upset. Because remember people, in the end, they were "like" husband and wife" - - - 45 years ago!!!

She adjusts her reality and the stories she tells to suit whatever’s trending at the time. In this way, she really is a personality of the 21st century and is as media conscious as many stars 40-45 years her junior.

Her priorities are centered squarely on maintaining her celebrity. She is smart enough to know her brand of narcissism is right in step with the zeitgeist. What critics and journalists identified as self-centered and loopy now many are seeing as decades ahead of its time, a blueprint for the selfie era.

To fans of Fleetwood Mac AS A BAND, her ongoing cultivation of herself as a pioneering force of women’s liberation and self-made superstar is distorted and exhausting.