The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Analyzing album covers: Mirage (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51453)

Villavic 02-11-2013 05:47 PM

Analyzing album covers: Mirage

Let's continue commenting an album cover. What you like, what you dislike, what you think about this, how a member looks, etc. This time, MIRAGE

Probably it's better to show the whole Mirage photo, I mean back an front, cause it's seems to be one unique long photograph.

Mick and John looks too formal dressed, accoding to the typical Fleetwood Mac look. However it may coincide with a phrase from Mick Fleetwood's book: "Gypsy" is one of Fleetwood Mac's greatest works of art; for me it really crystallises that whole period of the early 1980s, when we were in our mid-thirties and beginning to look back on our lost youth.

I never knew why they called it Mirage until I read the theory about the hidden old woman face in the handshake. Still not sure if that's the reason.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_x0_O69sf5U.../fleetwood.JPG

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7828b61b.jpg

I'msoAfraid95 02-11-2013 06:00 PM

Its kind of creepy. I think that's too dark of a photo for Fleetwood Mac.

Artemis 02-11-2013 06:18 PM

See, I really like the Mirage album cover... until I stare at it too long. Then the god-awful alteration job they did on Stevie's neck freaks me out. Not to mention the creepy old lady face in their hands.

WatchChain 02-11-2013 06:20 PM

I've always loved the "Mirage" album cover. It's probably my 2nd favorite right below "Rumours". It has an elegant feel and I love the suits and formal feel. Up to this point, I don't think we'd seen this from some of the band members.....For example, we finally get John out of beach clothing. As the previous poster commented, it does have a dark feeling to it, but the band has produced many tunes full of darkness and mystery.

The most obvious interpretation is what appears to be a vampire theme. Are Chris and Lindsey preparing to bring Stevie to "the other side"? Stevie looks absolutely stunning. Chris and Lindsey finally get an album cover, as up to this point, they were the two members who had never appeared on a cover.

Andrew Smith 02-11-2013 06:40 PM

I've always seen this album as the forgotten Fleetwood Mac album. Whenever I watch a documentary on FM, the Mirage album is hardly ever mentioned. I happen to think that it's one of their best albums. I would even go as far as saying that it's as good as Rumours. I know some people may not agree, but that's just my opinion.

cantgoback 02-11-2013 06:52 PM

At first glance, it's a really cool cover but then you see Stevie's neck and long skeleton arm and you're like "what were they thinking?" but it's alright.

michelej1 02-11-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1076512)
Are Chris and Lindsey preparing to bring Stevie to "the other side"?

Yes the conspiracy between Lindsey and Christine is a focal point. All 5 of the Macsters look good on the cover as well. It's my favorite.

As for the title, I would think it has something to do with the band and some sort of conversation they had and not the old lady puzzle.

I like the way that title is played out in the Hold Me video with the desert. For me, the idea is not only that things are not what they seem, but that you want something that really doesn't exist. You've deluded yourself into thinking it's within grasp and it's not. Like water in the Mohabi. You want it, need it, but it's inaccessible. The thing is, it doesn't seem hopeless, it only seems elusive and you feel if you just tried hard enough it could be yours. That's the cruelest of all, because it can't be.

Michele

britt0308 02-11-2013 07:05 PM

beginning to look back on our lost youth.

Always thought the above was a very poignant phrase. Or statement for that matter.

I never knew why they called it Mirage until I read the theory about the hidden old woman face in the handshake

Can anyone elaborate on this? I don't recall that theory..

Edited: nevermind the "face" in the joined hands..got it!

The Chain 02-11-2013 08:29 PM

I've always wondered if the title, and perhaps even the Hold Me video was inspired by the subject matter of Cool Water. I know it was just a B-Side, but the song is about struggling through the desert & not giving in to mirages.. just a thought.
Does anyone know if Lindsey, or anyone else in the band had anything to do with the concept of the Hold Me vid? Or was it purely the director's call?

Jondalar 02-11-2013 08:39 PM

I love it. It's Stevie's last waltz with Lindsey and Christine is looking at them like a voyeur. One's passionate, one is an observer and Lindsey is the major player.

KarmaContestant 02-11-2013 08:57 PM

I like this cover a lot.

I don't see the old-lady face. It's been pointed out many times - I just don't see it. I don't know what was done to Stevie's neck, but to me it looks graceful.

bombaysaffires 02-11-2013 09:08 PM

I recall a review of the album (musically) at the time commenting on the "music box" feel... referring to all the tinkly sorts of sounds sprinkled throughout the songs that made the reviewer think of the sound of a music box playing. It also mentioned the wistfulness of the lyrics and loss and regret themes "can't go back" "back to the gypsy that I was" "she was just a wish" "he remembers a melody" "She remembers how good it can be" just for a few examples. I'd have to go back and listen to the album all the way through but after that I always thought the term "Mirage" had to do with that sort of theme--- you see it but you can't ever have it / get to it ... whatever "it" is-- your youth, a lost relationship, etc.

bluecalmsea 02-11-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1076512)
I've always loved the "Mirage" album cover. It's probably my 2nd favorite right below "Rumours". It has an elegant feel and I love the suits and formal feel. Up to this point, I don't think we'd seen this from some of the band members.....For example, we finally get John out of beach clothing. As the previous poster commented, it does have a dark feeling to it, but the band has produced many tunes full of darkness and mystery.

Totally agree! I like the darkness/drama/romance feel of the whole thing. Very much like many of their songs. Love this cover :nod:

Jondalar 02-11-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecalmsea (Post 1076534)
Totally agree! I like the darkness/drama/romance feel of the whole thing. Very much like many of their songs. Love this cover :nod:

Darkness and Drama is what it is :)

I'msoAfraid95 02-11-2013 09:24 PM

I don't see the face either.:shrug: