The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Shut Us Down: Elizabethtown Version (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=41981)

TrueFaith77 10-24-2009 07:49 AM

Shut Us Down: Elizabethtown Version

Unfortunately, both iTunes AND Amazon mp3 are selling the long version of Shut Us Down from the Elizabethtown soundtrack only if you buy the whole album, rather than as an individual download.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can speak to the differences between the Elizabethtown version and the Under the Skin version.

Is the longer Elizabethtown version worth 10 bucks?

Little Nicki 10-24-2009 09:35 AM

I believe that version has the extended bridge/guitar solo part. You should be able to find it on youtube, so I'm not sure about it being worth ten bucks. But I will say that that guitar part is one of my all time favorite Lindsey moments. I just think it is an absolutely brilliant part. He does play the solo part live, but it's a dumbed down and simplified version of it.

I respected his whole "no lead guitar" decision on Under the Skin completely - I thought it was a pretty bold conceptual idea. But I was sad that Shut Us Down had to be shortened because of it.

Edit: Actually I don't see it on youtube anymore. It must have been on his own channel, but he took everything down awhile back. I'm pretty sure I have it on a mp3 somewhere, but we're not allowed to share commercially available stuff on here... What to do...

ramattack22 10-24-2009 12:31 PM

I was literally going to post the exact same question. I've also been searching for this version and have unfortunately come up empty-handed.

Erin 10-24-2009 02:21 PM

Yes, it's worth it. Elizabethtown is one of my favorite soundtracks. Lots of great stuff on there besides Shut Us Down. I discovered Ryan Adams and Patty Griffin because of this soundtrack. Some great tracks by Tom Petty I'd never heard, love the I-nine song as well. Buy it! The actual CD is only 8.99 on Amazon.

Nico 10-24-2009 04:20 PM

It is worth it because the soundtrack is excellent on a whole and I personally find the longer version superior. I think Shut Us Down is a beautiful song. Go to Amazon and listen to the clips of the other songs to make a decision, though.

trackaghost 10-24-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 849796)
It is worth it because the soundtrack is excellent on a whole and I personally find the longer version superior. I think Shut Us Down is a beautiful song. Go to Amazon and listen to the clips of the other songs to make a decision, though.

What Nico said. I actually own two copies of the Elizabethtown soundtrack.

Musicman408 10-24-2009 05:59 PM

Why is it that I had no idea that this song was in this movie???? How awesome!!!

TrueFaith77 10-24-2009 07:38 PM

^^^We should do a list of all the soundtracks on which Mac-related songs first appeared.

What's better: "Holiday Road" or "Twist of Fate"? :lol:

TrueFaith77 10-24-2009 09:06 PM

^^^i bought the whole album on itunes. though i prolly shoulda got the cd. :lol:

ETA: And, yes, I have to say: this song alone was totally worth 10 bucks.

Nico 10-24-2009 09:41 PM

I'm glad you did TrueFaith! I think you'll enjoy the other songs on the album. If you haven't heard Tom Petty's Square One, well, I'll just say it's gorgeous. And so is My Father's Gun by Elton John (old school Elton). And the Ryan Adams tune, Patty Griffin's, and the Hombres song are all awesome.

I think LB's and TP's (newer) song are the standouts on the album for me.

louielouie2000 10-25-2009 02:23 AM

How is it I never noticed there was a difference between the Elizabethtown Shut Us Down and the Under The Skin one? I guess because I probably listened to UTS just a couple of times. I think it's the weakest material Lindsey ever released. :sorry:

The Elizabethtown soundtrack however is just wonderful. The songs are just stellar. For anyone who hasn't seen the movie, go rent it NOW!! It'll make you laugh and cry... at the same time lol. It's one of the neatest little movies I've ever seen. I'm not usually one for soundtrack albums, but this one is just very special to me.

GypsySorcerer 10-25-2009 08:37 AM

^^^ I actually thought Elizabethtown was dreadful. Bloody awful. :o

Nico 10-25-2009 11:17 AM

lol! Louie, it's fascinating how opinions vary so. I couldn't stand that movie one bit, but I absolutely agree with your summation of the soundtrack (though NOT UTS).

My favorite film with an LB song will always be National Lampoon's Vacation. Back when Chevy Chase was funny.

TrueFaith77 10-25-2009 11:18 AM

Back to the Future is the best MOVIE with a Lindsey song -- just not the best Lindsey song. (p.s. - I also like Vacation)

michelej1 10-25-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 849942)
Back to the Future is the best MOVIE with a Lindsey song -- just not the best Lindsey song.

And I think it is one of the best Lindsey songs. So, it tops my movie list too.

I really don't know what to say about Holiday Road. I'm glad he has a song that everyone knows. I love the video, love the exposure for LB, but I don't know what I think of that song. I don't know what I would think of the song if it just appeared on an LB album. It's like Don't Stop. I can't have an independent opinion of it anymore. It's just too poppy and popular.

Michele