The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Say You Will Tour / Keyboasrdists Michael Dean & Michael Bernard (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58724)

cbBen 07-01-2019 02:53 AM

"Say You Will" Tour / Keyboardists Michael Dean & Michael Bernard
 
Were they playing keys and samples offstage?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Say_You_Will_Tour

Michael Dean Keyboards on "The Chain", "Dreams", "Eyes of the World", "Peacekeeper", "Second Hand News", "What's the World Coming To", "Beautiful Child", "Gold Dust Woman", "Tusk", "Stand Back", "Go Your Own Way", "World Turning", "Don't Stop" and "Goodbye Baby"

Michael Bernard (after Michael Dean's exit from the tour after the first tour leg) Keyboards/Samples on "The Chain", "Dreams", "Eyes of the World", "Peacekeeper", "Second Hand News", "What's the World Coming To", "Beautiful Child", "Gold Dust Woman", "Tusk", "Stand Back", "Go Your Own Way", "World Turning", "Don't Stop" and "Goodbye Baby"

David 07-13-2019 07:46 PM

I remember asking Tuggle something about his rig on that tour in his Q&A here. He switched boards between legs, and I wondered why at the time.

secret love 08-15-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1253384)
Were they playing keys and samples offstage?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Say_You_Will_Tour

Michael Dean – Keyboards on "The Chain", "Dreams", "Eyes of the World", "Peacekeeper", "Second Hand News", "What's the World Coming To", "Beautiful Child", "Gold Dust Woman", "Tusk", "Stand Back", "Go Your Own Way", "World Turning", "Don't Stop" and "Goodbye Baby"

Michael Bernard (after Michael Dean's exit from the tour after the first tour leg) – Keyboards/Samples on "The Chain", "Dreams", "Eyes of the World", "Peacekeeper", "Second Hand News", "What's the World Coming To", "Beautiful Child", "Gold Dust Woman", "Tusk", "Stand Back", "Go Your Own Way", "World Turning", "Don't Stop" and "Goodbye Baby"

This is a darn shame, really. Wikipedia credits both Stevie and Lindsey as sharing keyboard duties for the album in studio in Christine's absence. Stevie should have really been playing, if not behind a keyboard or piano on all songs, she should have at least done two or three songs at a baby grand. Landslide, for one.



Can Lindsey play cello?
I note Sheryl also played keys on Say You Will in studio, including a vibraphone. Does anyone know if this was a real vibraphone or if it was a keyboard? Edit: my bad, a vibraphone is a percussion instrument.


HomerMcvie 08-15-2019 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1253860)
This is a darn shame, really. Wikipedia credits both Stevie and Lindsey as sharing keyboard duties for the album in studio in Christine's absence. Stevie should have really been playing, if not behind a keyboard or piano on all songs, she should have at least done two or three songs at a baby grand. Landslide, for one.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Have you actually HEARD her play?

$he's HORRIBLE. A first year piano student, at best! $he plonks away on her TWO chords, like $he's Liberace(after a horrible car accident, followed by 7 strokes). It's TRULY embarrassing. I can't believe you stand behind her amateurish playing. $he KNOWS $he shouldn't be recorded.

$he could fart in a jar, and you'd buy it.

justcrazylove 08-15-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1253860)
This is a darn shame, really. Wikipedia credits both Stevie and Lindsey as sharing keyboard duties for the album in studio in Christine's absence. Stevie should have really been playing, if not behind a keyboard or piano on all songs, she should have at least done two or three songs at a baby grand. Landslide, for one.



Can Lindsey play cello?
I note Sheryl also played keys on Say You Will in studio, including a vibraphone. Does anyone know if this was a real vibraphone or if it was a keyboard? Edit: my bad, a vibraphone is a percussion instrument.


You don't play a musical instrument, do you? Stevie Nicks, cannot play the piano, or the guitar. This thread is over.

Macfan4life 08-17-2019 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1253862)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Have you actually HEARD her play?

$he's HORRIBLE. A first year piano student, at best! $he plonks away on her TWO chords, like $he's Liberace(after a horrible car accident, followed by 7 strokes). It's TRULY embarrassing. I can't believe you stand behind her amateurish playing. $he KNOWS $he shouldn't be recorded.

$he could fart in a jar, and you'd buy it.

How could you say that. Her piano version of Rhiannon is right up there with Rachmaninov.
Haters gonna hate
:eek:

HomerMcvie 08-17-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1253866)
How could you say that. Her piano version of Rhiannon is right up there with Rachmaninov.
Haters gonna hate
:eek:

What's impossible to believe is that her.....followers.....think that $he plays great! I could teach my dog to play as well as $he does! :laugh::wavey::laugh::wavey::laugh:

Macfan4life 08-17-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1253867)
What's impossible to believe is that her.....followers.....think that $he plays great! I could teach my dog to play as well as $he does! :laugh::wavey::laugh::wavey::laugh:

Say what you will but her Enchanted Rhiannon piece was included in one of the most brilliant piano pieces Volume 2
Skip ahead to 6:48 She rings like a bird through the night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbOZXL8Vz4w

secret love 08-17-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcrazylove (Post 1253863)
You don't play a musical instrument, do you? Stevie Nicks, cannot play the piano, or the guitar. This thread is over.

Yes, I do. I play piano and bass.



That's me.

secret love 08-17-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1253862)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Have you actually HEARD her play?

$he's HORRIBLE. A first year piano student, at best! $he plonks away on her TWO chords, like $he's Liberace(after a horrible car accident, followed by 7 strokes). It's TRULY embarrassing. I can't believe you stand behind her amateurish playing. $he KNOWS $he shouldn't be recorded.

$he could fart in a jar, and you'd buy it.

Let me introduce you to the letter S: s, S, Stephanie, singer, songwriter, pianiSt, guitariSt, Stevie, NickS.

Anyway, never mind that Stevie Nicks wrote the guitar for Leather and Lace and Landslide, and the piano for Lady From the Mountains and Rhiannon. Never mind that at all. She must be horrible. Note a subtle difference here: she WROTE the music for these four songs, no, she did not record the instruments herself, true, but she was in the room with: Don Henley, and separately Lindsey Buckingham and Dave Stewart, telling them what to play and how to play it - they arranged it their own ways, sure, but she wrote it.

Homer, why would I need to buy farts in a jar when I get gorgeous melodies and phrasings on YouTube for free? Idiot.


secret love 08-17-2019 07:47 PM

Another piece of shameless self-promotion about the terrible music I wrote, played and recorded:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/sbjames2

https://music.apple.com/us/album/fol...-ep/1335906041

HomerMcvie 08-18-2019 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1253871)

Homer, why would I need to buy farts in a jar when I get gorgeous melodies and phrasings on YouTube for free?

Idiot.

I believe that falls under the category of personal attack. Are you looking for another "vacation" from The Ledge?

FuzzyPlum 08-18-2019 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1253860)
This is a darn shame, really. Wikipedia credits both Stevie and Lindsey as sharing keyboard duties for the album in studio in Christine's absence. Stevie should have really been playing, if not behind a keyboard or piano on all songs, she should have at least done two or three songs at a baby grand. Landslide, for one.



Can Lindsey play cello?
I note Sheryl also played keys on Say You Will in studio, including a vibraphone. Does anyone know if this was a real vibraphone or if it was a keyboard? Edit: my bad, a vibraphone is a percussion instrument.


You don't play a musical instrument do you? Stevie Nicks cannot play the piano or the guitar.

David 08-21-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1253867)
What's impossible to believe is that her.....followers.....think that $he plays great! I could teach my dog to play as well as $he does! :laugh::wavey::laugh::wavey::laugh:

I got in an argument years ago with someone claiming that Nicks was playing the piano on this master reel rendition of Bella Donna.

I tried explaining for a million very detailed reasons that, no, that wasn't her.

Now this is Stevie at the piano. Can y'all hear the obvious differences? Stevie's playing isn't primarily chordal, it's unitone (I think I made that word up). I don't know what to call it - sounds like a musically illiterate notion of an Alberti bass figure that never modulates, but just keeps plinky-plonking on the exact same note, over and over. The passing tones (where the bass walks up the scale) are all wrong, and there are weird second and third inversions everywhere that compromise the song's tonic integrity. The whole accompaniment is repetitive - no variation anywhere. No dynamic range, no arpeggios, no development - nothing that the song developed into instrumentally. Vocally, of course, she gives it plenty, but that was usually true of her demos. She writes her songs . . . by singing them. That's how they get cemented. And please don't cite her piano work on Rhiannon. She isn't doing anything even mildly interesting or skilled. She is plonking two-note chords (the clinical term is dyad) ascending and then descending in the right hand, alternating with plonk-plonk bass on A and F in the left. I've taught a million children piano, and they all do that. Her contribution to that great track was a vocal and lyrical one.

On the piano, she has (and had) absolutely no skill. In fact, I think she's a mildly better guitarist, based on the guitar on her Enchanted demo of Twisted.

David 08-21-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1253871)
Anyway, never mind that Stevie Nicks wrote the guitar for Leather and Lace and Landslide, and the piano for Lady From the Mountains and Rhiannon.

I think it's vague to say she wrote the "guitar" or the "piano" for such-and-such song because that implies that she wrote the guitar or piano part(s) that we all recognize from the recording. But that's not true in the case of Landslide and Rhiannon. She wrote the lyrics and the vocal line, supplied the main chords, and accompanied herself on those demos. There's a big difference.


Quote:

She must be horrible.
Not horrible. She's a great singer and performer, and many people believe a great songwriter. She is not an instrument player in any memorable sense.

Quote:

Note a subtle difference here: she WROTE the music for these four songs, no, she did not record the instruments herself, true, but she was in the room with: Don Henley, and separately Lindsey Buckingham and Dave Stewart, telling them what to play and how to play it - they arranged it their own ways, sure, but she wrote it.
I think you're confusing a couple of different things here. She did not tell Lindsey Buckingham what to play - unless you mean supplying him with the basic chords and singing the song to him so he got the feel. (A chord is a chord, and a part is a part - they're not synonymous.) She certainly didn't tell him how to play a modified Travis-style finger pick, and that's what Landslide is. She completely lacks the expertise on guitar to have arranged that part. The guitar part that we hear on the track is LB's work, not hers. In some cases, her demos may have given the rest of the band an idea of what sort of instrumental part to create. For example, the Smile at You piano from 1982 sounds like Christine playing something a little more upscale from something Stevie probably played for her - same thing with Sara. And we've already all heard about how Dreams (FM7 - G) developed when the others got their hands on her idea and fleshed it out. Even a great pianist like Bittan riffed on Stevie's simple figure on the piano - on How Still My Love, for example. But there are plenty of other occasions - Rhiannon is one of them - where the guys playing the instruments had to invent the various parts because they weren't there before.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved