The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stevie on CBS Sunday Morning (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59078)

sleepless child 10-25-2020 11:24 AM

Stevie on CBS Sunday Morning

Nice little interview at Stevie's home this morning. She looked a little tired to me and her hair looked a bit darker in the interview. Might have just been the light. She talked about the pandemic taking away time and they briefly touched on her new single. They did say the 24K movie would be streaming soon. I saw on Ivory Keys it will be on PBS next month.

The most interesting thing was being asked about great loves and that Lindsey must be one of them. At first she said yes and then said no, he was my musical love. I so totally think she's lying. And talking about Lindsey like he was still in her life. Like she never had him fired. I wish she had been pushed to answer for his firing, but I'm sure it was off limits.

To me she came across as a bit narcisstic. Choosing her career and beautiful home and dogs over love and family. Kind of sad.

ami0425 10-25-2020 11:53 AM

Why is she narcissistic because she chose to have a successful career and be a great singer and song writer over having a family and love? Getting married and making babies isn't the only thing that determines someone's worth or whether they are successful.

Steviegirl 10-25-2020 11:59 AM

To me she came across as a bit narcisstic. Choosing her career and beautiful home and dogs over love and family. Kind of sad.[/QUOTE]

Very sad, indeed. I do not recognize this woman. Ever since Lindsey's firing, I've been unable to enjoy anything about Stevie, which feels so strange because I've loved her and this band my whole life. I don't think she understands how she is coming across right now, and as many here have said, there is no one around, (her mom, dad, TP) to explain it to her. Also, I don't believe for a minute that she's happy with NO ONE because she's in a big house and can buy anything she wants. :rolleyes: The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Sad Mabel Normand.

soul_drifter333 10-25-2020 12:36 PM

Sad indeed. The thing that jumped out to me is how she is still trying too hard to look like she did in the 70's. The hair and outfit looks like she is imagining herself like she is still 27 in 1978. Practically every interview she talks about ageism and how she is being portrayed as a older woman. She is obsessed with her looks and I think she looked bizarre in this interview. She desperately needs to update her look to sometime more current even if it is a new outfit.

All the interesting stories she could tell but we get the same ones. She has already said the Lindsey was her musical love and I don't think that she ever really loved him but was in lust with him and needed him to help her with her music and career. She mentioned she had been in love 3 times. Joe, Mick, but who is the 3rd one?

Narcissistic much??

ricohv 10-25-2020 12:48 PM

I have to slightly disagree with all the comments so far. I think Stevie came across better in this interview than several of the print interviews she's done recently. Whether she's a pathetic human for saying she chose her career over marriage & kids is debatable. She didn't say she gave it up for the love of family and meaningful relationships. One can skip marriage and kids but still have family and meaningful relationships. I didn't find anything in this interview to be cringey in the way that saying "I had an abortion to save Fleetwood Mac" was.
Also, I liked the outfit and gloves. To me it looks like an 'age appropriate' Stevie wearing 'age appropriate' Stevie-style clothes. The gloves were better than the ones she's wore to death with the silver spangles, the outfit better than the dreaded sailor dress or shoulderless shirt she's worn to death for several years now. I even liked the darker blond hair color but agree it's time to modify the haircut and bangs.
Overall I think it was as good as we can expect from her at this stage and decent promotion for the new song & 24 Karat film.
Just my 2 cents! Ricoh

blinker12 10-25-2020 01:14 PM

She does seem narcissistic — but jeez, if it’s understandable for anyone to be, it’s her. The career she’s had is truly remarkable. She keeps coming back as relevant, again and again. And now, at 72, she’s doing it again with the whole “Dreams”/TikTok thing.

I’m not saying I think she *should* be narcissistic, or that I’d enjoy hanging out with her long. But I get it.

Jondalar 10-25-2020 01:31 PM

She is a bit narcissistic but she has gotten a lot attention lately. She used Lindsey. She never loved him. Everything was an act.

sleepless child 10-25-2020 01:45 PM

I think it's perfectly ok to choose a career over marriage and children.

But this is a person who told Rolling Stone she wanted babies and who in her 40's talked about adopting a child.

Stevie writes and sings about lost love. She loves being in the thro's of miserablility. (her word). She has had the love of alot of great men.

To me it just seemed a bit sad. I'm sure she is very happy with her life.

But she certainly didn't have to give up her career or children for her music and her fans. She could have had a successful marriage and children.

On another note, I would have liked to hear something different than the same 'ol, same 'ol we get with interviews.

sue 10-25-2020 02:15 PM

I think she looks reasonably happy, but just a bit wistful.
When she smiles she reminds me of old Stevie...
and I think her references to Lindsey making him different to the other two best loves, as he was her Musical love, are making a deference to him.
Do I think it’s sad she’s just got memories and a big fabulous house....no, she made her bed.
For better or worse.

goyourownway 10-25-2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1261545)
She does seem narcissistic — but jeez, if it’s understandable for anyone to be, it’s her. The career she’s had is truly remarkable. She keeps coming back as relevant, again and again. And now, at 72, she’s doing it again with the whole “Dreams”/TikTok thing.

I’m not saying I think she *should* be narcissistic, or that I’d enjoy hanging out with her long. But I get it.

I totally agree. You can’t survive this long and not be affected by it. The level of hero worship she’s likely experienced since 1997 would probably be a mind**** for anyone. Right or wrong, good or bad, the ego feeding that does is probably irreversible by 72.

On a separate note: The pontificating about it being sad that she doesn’t have a family is unfair. That is her choice, and her’s only.

Jondalar 10-25-2020 02:50 PM

People regularly have children in their 40s nowadays. Her last solo hit was when she turned 41 years old. Her career was dying. She could of had a baby in the early 1990s while she was in her early 40s. She missed an opportunity. I’m sure she had more than one abortion. Probably over 10. It’s sad.

jmn3 10-25-2020 03:34 PM

I could care less if she never had kids or got married. But she manages to ensure this gets brought up endlessly. Barely an interview goes by where she doesn’t make this comment about choosing her career over a family as if the two are mutually exclusive. This has been going on for years and it makes me think she says it constantly to justify her choices to herself.

sleepless child 10-25-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1261553)
I could care less if she never had kids or got married. But she manages to ensure this gets brought up endlessly. Barely an interview goes by where she doesn’t make this comment about choosing her career over a family as if the two are mutually exclusive. This has been going on for years and it makes me think she says it constantly to justify her choices to herself.

Exactly. Christine married twice and divorced twice and never had children and it's never talked about with her or by her. This is something Stevie brings up herself. I don't think it's unfair of us to bring it up if it's something she herself talks about. It makes me sad because I don't think it would be fun to be living alone later in life. No children or Grandchildren. No companion. She has friends that live with her but it's not the same. I feel the same way about Christine. And I think Stevie has done it for so long that it's all she knows. At this point she would probably kick the guy out after a few weeks for getting on her nerves and moving her stuff and getting in her way, etc... lol

rubylounge 10-25-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ami0425 (Post 1261540)
Why is she narcissistic because she chose to have a successful career and be a great singer and song writer over having a family and love? Getting married and making babies isn't the only thing that determines someone's worth or whether they are successful.

I appreciate her decision... it is her life... her choice. She came off a little self serving though by bragging that she can have whatever she wants.. when she wants and that she lives in a big house. Has all this stuff and beautiful things... Seems a tad self serving since we are in the midst of a worldwide pandemic and people are losing their jobs.

The Catdancer 10-26-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1261546)
She is a bit narcissistic but she has gotten a lot attention lately. [Q]She used Lindsey. She never loved him. Everything was an act.

That's exactly what I thought. The interviewer said:"So Lindsey falls in that category"? when asked if she had ever found "the one". Her immediate reaction was:"Absolutely" but than she said:"Not exactly. Lindsey has his own category. He was my great musical love". That doesn't sound to me that she really loved him. I don't think it was ALL an act but I think it was for the most part.

reebokandlace 10-28-2020 05:31 PM

Does it sound like she has developed a lisp?

I can’t tell if she had collagen and can’t move her top lip, dental work...her teeth look “different” or something else?

Anyone else notice this?

bombaysaffires 10-28-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reebokandlace (Post 1261636)
Does it sound like she has developed a lisp?

I can’t tell if she had collagen and can’t move her top lip, dental work...her teeth look “different” or something else?

Anyone else notice this?

yes, she definitely has a more pronounced lisp (Many of us commented on how noticeable it became starting back on the IYD album and again on 24k Gold)

Her teeth looked noticeably darker to me.. like she's been drinking plenty of coffee/tea and not been for a teeth whitening session at her dentist. (same can be said of me!)

Her hair looked rather tatty to me as well; very split ends, kinda limp, and darker brownish blonde.

Not criticisms; just observations. Keeping up appearances gets harder as we all get older. She was wearing the scarf to cover her neck, another area where our age shows and things get droopier. Cosmetic enhancements can only help so much without a full face lift. I think this is part of why she's so annoyed about the timing of the pandemic and her comments about it stealing her last few "youthful" years. By her mid to late 70s it'll be more of a challenge to look like "Stevie Nicks" and by 80 well....

HomerMcvie 10-28-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1261638)
By her mid to late 70s it'll be more of a challenge to look like "Stevie Nicks" and by 80 well....

Can you imagine her at 80, still trying to look like she's 30?

She'll be down to a one note range by then.

Bah, bah black sheep, have you any wool?

secondhandchain 10-29-2020 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1261642)

HAHAHAH I did notice she has really really aged. It's to be expected so I won't make fun of her for that. But she is getting that thing with the speech, sounding like an old lady. Is it the teeth rattling around? I guess I'll be there soon enough...sigh.

HomerMcvie 10-29-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1261645)
HAHAHAH I did notice she has really really aged. It's to be expected so I won't make fun of her for that. But she is getting that thing with the speech, sounding like an old lady. Is it the teeth rattling around? I guess I'll be there soon enough...sigh.

I remember them saying the same about Christine when she came back. Something about rattling of the teeth, slightly slurring words, etc. I mean, they've got more money than god, so they're not forced to get dentures. So what is it?

It's probably because they stopped drinking and doing blow. Yeah, let's blame that. :lol:

sarafield 10-29-2020 07:57 AM

I think she would look 100% better if she chopped off a bunch of ends and just had regular shoulder-length hair. And there must be some way to update those clothes. Maybe some lighter colors. She used to change up her look all the time when she was younger. I would love to see her brighten up a bit.

The lisp, not sure what's up with that, but everyone seems to get it. She has changed her S's over the years but yes, it is pronounced. She is 72 though! She is an elderly woman, whether she thinks she is in her young years or not. :sorry:

Pretty tired of the "cleaning lady" story. :laugh: Didn't she clean Keith Olson's house in exchange for living there... so she was kind of cleaning her own house anyway? And he said in the Behind the Music (I think it was) she did a half-assed job. The whole "I wanna be a star, I don't wanna be a cleaning lady" thing. :rolleyes:

bombaysaffires 10-29-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarafield (Post 1261658)
I think she would look 100% better if she chopped off a bunch of ends and just had regular shoulder-length hair. And there must be some way to update those clothes. Maybe some lighter colors. She used to change up her look all the time when she was younger. I would love to see her brighten up a bit.

The lisp, not sure what's up with that, but everyone seems to get it. She has changed her S's over the years but yes, it is pronounced. She is 72 though! She is an elderly woman, whether she thinks she is in her young years or not. :sorry:

Pretty tired of the "cleaning lady" story. :laugh: Didn't she clean Keith Olson's house in exchange for living there... so she was kind of cleaning her own house anyway? And he said in the Behind the Music (I think it was) she did a half-assed job. The whole "I wanna be a star, I don't wanna be a cleaning lady" thing. :rolleyes:

I always kinda thought that's what she actually had; that the really long bits were extensions.:shrug: That would make more sense to me; it's hard to grow your hair long and lush as you age.

Agree on the cleaning lady-- she tidied up her producer's house. She also crashed his car by letting it roll down the hill, so I mean.... let's be real.

And of course she uses that as an excuse to bash Lindsey, like he was doing *nothing* while she was out slaving away... "What could he POSSIBLY have done?" she says then laughs ha hahahahah..:eek: Maybe he took your droning demos and made actual MUSIC behind your lyrics and melody?? Maybe he put some structure into half done songs like Rhiannon and made them hits?? If he hadn't been doing all that "nothing" you'd STILL be cleaning skid marks out of other people's toilets. I can think of worse things than boinking 1970s LB to become famous...just sayin' :shrug:

HomerMcvie 10-29-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1261681)
If he hadn't been doing all that "nothing" you'd STILL be cleaning skid marks out of other people's toilets.

I can think of worse things than boinking 1970s LB to become famous...just sayin' :shrug:

Both of these just made me giggle. Thanks.

bombaysaffires 10-29-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1261682)
Both of these just made me giggle. Thanks.

LOL you're welcome. Though I do get a sense that LB was probably a bit kinky, if not a bit pervy....but man, was he HOT. :nod:

HomerMcvie 10-29-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1261684)
LOL you're welcome. Though I do get a sense that LB was probably a bit kinky, if not a bit pervy....but man, was he HOT. :nod:

All men are a bit pervy. At my friend's house last night, I noticed these steel rings mounted in his basement. I said, "is this your S&M room?"
"Yep". We then discussed how pretty much all men are pervs. Because we all are. :o

sarafield 10-29-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

I always kinda thought that's what she actually had; that the really long bits were extensions.:shrug: That would make more sense to me; it's hard to grow your hair long and lush as you age.

Agree on the cleaning lady-- she tidied up her producer's house. She also crashed his car by letting it roll down the hill, so I mean.... let's be real.

And of course she uses that as an excuse to bash Lindsey, like he was doing *nothing* while she was out slaving away... "What could he POSSIBLY have done?" she says then laughs ha hahahahah..:eek: Maybe he took your droning demos and made actual MUSIC behind your lyrics and melody?? Maybe he put some structure into half done songs like Rhiannon and made them hits?? If he hadn't been doing all that "nothing" you'd STILL be cleaning skid marks out of other people's toilets. I can think of worse things than boinking 1970s LB to become famous...just sayin' :shrug:

I'm certainly no expert on 72-year-old hair but those extensions look ratty then... maybe they need to mimic her natural hair. :shrug: I need someone with expertise to chime in on this.

She's been telling that same story about coming home from waiting tables and cleaning up ash trays from all the guys sitting around the house smoking weed and then trying to make Hamburger Helper exciting and sewing sunshine patches on their jeans. I mean, I am sure that's the way she remembers it and *adjacent to* what really happened, but girlfriend is a drama queen of the highest order. In her defense, I can't see Lindsey waiting tables at Ye Old Cracker Barrel, either. He never had that disposition. Maybe he could have skated by on looks alone though, lol.

bombaysaffires 10-29-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarafield (Post 1261687)
I'm certainly no expert on 72-year-old hair but those extensions look ratty then... maybe they need to mimic her natural hair. :shrug: I need someone with expertise to chime in on this.

She's been telling that same story about coming home from waiting tables and cleaning up ash trays from all the guys sitting around the house smoking weed and then trying to make Hamburger Helper exciting and sewing sunshine patches on their jeans. I mean, I am sure that's the way she remembers it and *adjacent to* what really happened, but girlfriend is a drama queen of the highest order. In her defense, I can't see Lindsey waiting tables at Ye Old Cracker Barrel, either. He never had that disposition. Maybe he could have skated by on looks alone though, lol.

sorry, I wasn't as clear as I meant to be re: the extensions. I was just saying I would have thought wearing extensions would make more sense than her growing out her own tatty looking hair. In other words, I agree she should USE extensions if she isn't already because the current look, if it's her natural hair, isn't cutting it anymore. If it IS extensions, her hair stylist needs to be fired ASAP.

She makes it sound like LB NEVER attempted any outside jobs. He did. He talked back in the day about having worked a telemarketing job for a short time. It was basically a scam and he didn't do it very long, but then Miss Thang worked a *single day* as a dental assistant (which she always calls "dental hygienist") and complained she couldn't take all the bending forward.
The "cleaning lady" was a joke, per Keith Olsen. Let's be real, she has never been good at much other than singing so one could easily ask the question "What else COULD she do??" Doing something for 6 months doesn't mean you could have done it as a career.

Christine talked about the men in the band *occasionally* carrying her (Christine's) suitcase, and road crew talked about Chris setting up her own keyboards and gear. I would bet anything Stevie never carried a suitcase once upon joining FM. Christine finally caved and got a second adjoining hotel room for her clothes and getting ready for shows or whatever AFTER she rejoined the band a few years ago. Stevie's been demanding Presidential suites forever and had an entourage dialing the phone, filling her bath, ordering her dinner, and wiping her nose for decades. Hell, Chrissie Hynde described touring with her as like touring with Elizabeth Taylor, and found the gaps between shows with Stevie unacceptably long to where she booked smaller gigs for herself in between.

This woman whining that life is hard for her is beyond the pale.

sarafield 10-29-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1261698)

She was saying she gained weight from steroids after being in the hospital with pneumonia... and that she stayed up for five days and nights with her assistant(?) watching Lucille Ball because she was wired from the steroids. Did she make this poor soul stay up with her all that time? Not a question I would normally ask, but... :laugh::eek:

I get that facing mortality is difficult. But she has had a LIFE. A lot of people are seriously affected by the pandemic. Losing homes, family members, lives. She’s all like “I might miss out on my 5th decade of touring in my final “young years.” It’s just so fantastically tone deaf.

bwboy 10-29-2020 08:17 PM

99% of people reading or seeing these interviews with Stevie have never heard any of those stories before. Some people who seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of her and FM and remember every interview they've ever given represent the other 1%. I'm a fan who doesn't give a damn what her assistants name is, or who she lives with, or wonder why she said something in 2020 that contradicts something she said in 1980, or psychoanalyze whether she's truly happy being single. And I suspect most people are just like me in those respects.

michelej1 10-29-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

He also did gigs now and then while she sat home and pouted because she wasn’t on tour, too.

michelej1 10-29-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1261684)

The guy just wants tall grass and frail shoulders. Nothing too kinky about that.

I will say that he owes her an electric frying pan though. I blame him for that.

michelej1 10-29-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarafield (Post 1261702)
She was saying she gained weight from steroids after being in the hospital with pneumonia... and that she stayed up for five days and nights with her assistant(?) watching Lucille Ball because she was wired from the steroids. Did she make this poor soul stay up with her all that time? Not a question I would normally ask, but... :laugh::eek:

I get that facing mortality is difficult. But she has had a LIFE. A lot of people are seriously affected by the pandemic. Losing homes, family members, lives. She’s all like “I might miss out on my 5th decade of touring in my final “young years.” It’s just so fantastically tone deaf.

Funny that you mention Lucille Ball, because Lucille was famous for wearing scarfs in her later years, to hide her sagging neck.

The Catdancer 10-30-2020 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1261698)
sorry, I wasn't as clear as I meant to be re: the extensions. I was just saying I would have thought wearing extensions would make more sense than her growing out her own tatty looking hair. In other words, I agree she should USE extensions if she isn't already because the current look, if it's her natural hair, isn't cutting it anymore.[/Q] If it IS extensions, her hair stylist needs to be fired ASAP.

She makes it sound like LB NEVER attempted any outside jobs. He did. He talked back in the day about having worked a telemarketing job for a short time. It was basically a scam and he didn't do it very long, but then Miss Thang worked a *single day* as a dental assistant (which she always calls "dental hygienist") and complained she couldn't take all the bending forward.
The "cleaning lady" was a joke, per Keith Olsen. Let's be real, she has never been good at much other than singing so one could easily ask the question "What else COULD she do??" Doing something for 6 months doesn't mean you could have done it as a career.

Christine talked about the men in the band *occasionally* carrying her (Christine's) suitcase, and road crew talked about Chris setting up her own keyboards and gear. I would bet anything Stevie never carried a suitcase once upon joining FM. Christine finally caved and got a second adjoining hotel room for her clothes and getting ready for shows or whatever AFTER she rejoined the band a few years ago. Stevie's been demanding Presidential suites forever and had an entourage dialing the phone, filling her bath, ordering her dinner, and wiping her nose for decades. Hell, Chrissie Hynde described touring with her as like touring with Elizabeth Taylor, and found the gaps between shows with Stevie unacceptably long to where she booked smaller gigs for herself in between.

She has had extensions at least since 1988. The hairdresser for the 1988 tour told me that her hair wouldn't grow beyond her jaw line. The rest of it was fake.

The Catdancer 10-30-2020 04:57 AM

Quote:

That's what she's doing right now.

sarafield 10-30-2020 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1261707)
Funny that you mention Lucille Ball, because Lucille was famous for wearing scarfs in her later years, to hide her sagging neck.

Oh, it’s a great trick. I think it would look really flattering on Stevie in a softer color. I am 48 so my scarf years are definitely beginning soon.

sarafield 10-30-2020 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1261704)
99% of people reading or seeing these interviews with Stevie have never heard any of those stories before. Some people who seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of her and FM and remember every interview they've ever given represent the other 1%. I'm a fan who doesn't give a damn what her assistants name is, or who she lives with, or wonder why she said something in 2020 that contradicts something she said in 1980, or psychoanalyze whether she's truly happy being single. And I suspect most people are just like me in those respects.

You’re right, and she is very good about sprinkling in a bit or two of “new” information every time she needs to promote something new, that she talks about in every sinterview. I remember when she revealed that Joe Walsh was the love of her life and that was her talking point for a while. Or the year she said it was all a stage act between her and Lindsey. It’s all part of the fun, for me at least, to pick out the new talking points.

sarafield 10-30-2020 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Catdancer (Post 1261718)
She has had extensions at least since 1988. The hairdresser for the 1988 tour told me that her hair wouldn't grow beyond her jaw line. The rest of it was fake.

Wow. :eek: That’s pretty early on in her life. Trying to imagine a world in which extensions didn’t exist. A short-haired Stevie (or high-quality wigs, more likely.)

bombaysaffires 10-30-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1261706)
The guy just wants tall grass and frail shoulders. Nothing too kinky about that.

I will say that he owes her an electric frying pan though. I blame him for that.

I dunno, the whole "uuhhhh...bark like a dog" :eek:, and the "come and keep your daddy warm" (any 'daddy' references in a sexual context are gross no matter if it's him or Chris making them) and all the moaning and groaning..."Here I come baby"....Think of me, sweet darlin', every time you don't come.:distress:

michelej1 10-30-2020 08:36 PM

Even though he moaned at the end of it in shows, I just don’t see Holiday Road as having sexual connotations.

But yes. This is the guy who wrote Tusk. Real savage like.

rubylounge 11-02-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

I hope her wardrobe is better by then and she’s not wearing that same old top.....
!