The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   40 Years Ago: Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks Join Fleetwood Mac (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54796)

SisterNightroad 12-31-2014 11:07 AM

40 Years Ago: Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks Join Fleetwood Mac

40 Years Ago: Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks Join Fleetwood Mac
by Nick DeRiso December 31, 2014 8:28 AM

By the time Mick Fleetwood asked Lindsey Buckingham to join his band on New Year’s Eve 1974, Fleetwood Mac was in free fall. The recent departure of Bob Welch, after all, meant that Buckingham would become the group’s seventh guitarist in just seven years. That gave Buckingham some leverage, which he used to arrange for a package deal with his girlfriend Stevie Nicks.
Fleetwood, who had already heard a recording of Buckingham Nicks’ ‘Frozen Love,’ happily obliged — and the addition of both meant the classic-era lineup of Fleetwood Mac was finally in place.
The duo had met in 1966 when Nicks, newly transplanted from Arizona to the teeming musical environs of San Francisco, heard Buckingham singing ‘California Dreamin” at a party and boldly joined him in song. Two years later, when Fritz — a local band featuring Buckingham on bass — needed a new singer, Nicks came on board. Fritz opened shows for Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin but, having never received the record deal they coveted, eventually split. By the time they returned to stages as Buckingham Nicks, the two were lovers as well as musical confidants.
Polydor signed the fledgling duo, now relocated to Los Angeles, but the resulting self-titled album went nowhere — leaving a desperate Nicks to waitress for rent. She has said she was mere weeks away from returning to Phoenix when Fleetwood called. “If we hadn’t joined Fleetwood Mac, would Lindsey and I have carried on and made it?” she told Uncut (http://www.uncut.co.uk/fleetwood-mac...ed-out-feature). “I was really tired of having no money and being a waitress. It’s very possible that I would have gone back to school and Lindsey would have gone back to San Francisco.”
Fleetwood Mac’s 10th lineup would hurtle the group to unprecedented success, first with a self-titled five-million-selling hit — and then with the era-defining, 20-times platinum ‘Rumours.’ After so many ups and downs, Fleetwood Mac (for a time, at least) enjoyed an era of stability and prosperity.

Listen to Buckingham Nicks Perform ‘Frozen Love’

“When Bob Welch left, when [band co-founder] Peter Green left, some people were devastated,” Fleetwood told Salon (http://www.salon.com/2014/11/08/mick...killed_anyone/), but that’s how it went with Fleetwood Mac. “People came and went quite freely,” Fleetwood adds. “It’s part of the history of this band.”
That history would, of course, repeat itself. Buckingham missed two of Fleetwood Mac’s subsequent albums; Nicks was absent for one of them, too. But not before they helped 1979′s ‘Tusk,’ 1982′s ‘Mirage’ and 1987′s ‘Tango in the Night’ to some five million in U.S. sales.
And to think, Buckingham had expressed initial reservations about joining Fleetwood Mac, mainly because he wasn’t sure about subsuming his own outsized personality into the larger group dynamic. Nicks, however, quickly stepped in. In the talk with Uncut, she remembers telling Buckingham, “We can always quit. They’re going to pay us $200 each a week, so we can save some money and leave in six months with a little nest egg if it doesn’t work.

Read More: 40 Years Ago: Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks Join Fleetwood Mac | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/linds...ckback=tsmclip

michelej1 12-31-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1157006)
“We can always quit. They’re going to pay us $200 each a week, so we can save some money and leave in six months with a little nest egg if it doesn’t work.

I wonder how good Stevie was at saving money. I know she said she saved up money to buy the BN blouse, but I wonder if they were squirreling those paychecks away (after fishing them out of the washing machine). Of course, she now has accountants to manage her income, but I was wondering about back then in the early days.

Michele

jbrownsjr 12-31-2014 12:43 PM

My uncle bought Buckingham Nicks' album and I thought, "Wow, these guys are really good!"

Then I heard them with FM and they just melted with Christine. I was in heaven. I also remember running out to buy the soundtrack for Twisted. I did not have the same goose bumps. :lol:

Macfanforever 12-31-2014 04:09 PM

Its time to toast them as FM history was made 40 years ago.

I''ll hold up my root beer now.

bombaysaffires 12-31-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1157014)
I wonder how good Stevie was at saving money. I know she said she saved up money to buy the BN blouse, but I wonder if they were squirreling those paychecks away (after fishing them out of the washing machine). Of course, she now has accountants to manage her income, but I was wondering about back then in the early days.

Michele

well, she always had daddy to bail her out. even though she says sometimes that they didn't want to support her unless she moved home, she talks in earlier (70s and 80s) interviews about her dad understanding her love of beautiful things (as opposed to her mom who was rather frugal) and thus giving her the money to buy the nicer things, much to her mom's disapproval.

She had a Greyhound bus pass that let her go anywhere whenever she needed/wanted courtesy of her dad. And when the busses went on strike and she got stuck in Aspen she called home and though they weren't happy about it they did send her a plane ticket to get back to LA.

So I think she always had that safety net of her parents' money, however much hassle they might have given her whenever she might have asked them for some of it.

Interestingly, we never hear about Lindsey's relationship with his parents… mostly his mom of course after his dad passed during the BN days. Though he grew up in a very affluent place, I don't think his mom was left in as great a financial situation after his dad passed… so maybe Stevie's parents were in a sense the safety net for them both. :shrug:

teedeerocks 12-31-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1157029)
well, she always had daddy to bail her out. even though she says sometimes that they didn't want to support her unless she moved home, she talks in earlier (70s and 80s) interviews about her dad understanding her love of beautiful things (as opposed to her mom who was rather frugal) and thus giving her the money to buy the nicer things, much to her mom's disapproval.

She had a Greyhound bus pass that let her go anywhere whenever she needed/wanted courtesy of her dad. And when the busses went on strike and she got stuck in Aspen she called home and though they weren't happy about it they did send her a plane ticket to get back to LA.

So I think she always had that safety net of her parents' money, however much hassle they might have given her whenever she might have asked them for some of it.

Interestingly, we never hear about Lindsey's relationship with his parents… mostly his mom of course after his dad passed during the BN days. Though he grew up in a very affluent place, I don't think his mom was left in as great a financial situation after his dad passed… so maybe Stevie's parents were in a sense the safety net for them both. :shrug:

Hi Bombay!I started a thread a while ago about Lindsey's parents,If you PM me your email I'll send it to you.:angel:

michelej1 12-31-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1157029)

Well, when Lindsey got mono, or whatever, he actually moved back home. So, he knew that he could do that when/if he needed to. And they had that $10,000 from his aunt when they started out. I think each brother got $10,000, which was a lot of money back then.

He said when he got his first house he kept looking around for his parents, because he couldn't believe that he was the adult and it belonged to him.

Michele

Macfanforever 12-31-2014 11:54 PM

Just think if this day in FM history did not happen.

Where would Mac be and where Stevie and Lindsey be today.

michelej1 01-01-2015 01:15 AM

Music Times, 12.31.2014

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/2...-mac-songs.htm

On Dec. 31, 1974 — 40 years ago today — guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and singer Stevie Nicks, who performed together at the time under the name Buckingham Nicks, joined British blues rock band Fleetwood Mac. Though the band had found great success in the British blues scene of the late 1960s and early '70s, the inclusion of Buckingham and Nicks to the line-up transformed Fleetwood Mac into the biggest pop band in the world. To celebrate this anniversary, here are the 10 best Fleetwood Mac songs written by Buckingham or Nicks, in alphabetical order.

1. "The Chain"

"The Chain" was the only Fleetwood Mac song to have been written by all five members of the Buckingham/Nicks-era band, but based on how incredible the song is, they should have collaborated more often. It is a perfect amalgam of everything that made this band great: Lindsey Buckingham's intricate guitar playing, Stevie Nicks's ethereal songwriting, Christine McVie's pop sensibilities and the impenetrable groove of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

2. "Dreams"

Stevie Nicks is an absolute genius of simplicity in songwriting, and no other Fleetwood Mac song demonstrates this better than "Dreams," the band's only No. 1 song in the U.S. The song comprises just two chords over and over for four minutes, but the way in which Nicks strings her melodies together makes each section of the song sound distinct.

3. "Gold Dust Woman"

How could you categorize “Gold Dust Woman”? It is a little bit folk, a little bit country and even a little bit gothic, as if Nico decided to start writing pop songs instead of musical nightmares. It is a sort of psychedelic/country hybrid that nobody — give or take Gram Parsons — had ever attempted before and has never attempted since, making this one of the most original pop songs ever written.

4. "Go Your Own Way"

“Go Your Own Way” is the definitive song from Rumours, the song that best represents the tone of the album: bitter and emotionally volatile, yet presented in a sleek, catchy and accessible package. It was the beginning of Lindsey Buckingham’s signature fury that would bring his music so much of an edge, and which he would more perversely explore two years later on Tusk.

5. "Gypsy"

Though Fleetwood Mac’s music took a bit of a dive during the '80s, they were still able to adapt to the decade much better than most of their '60s and '70s contemporaries, largely due to the fact that Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and Chrstine McVie were first pop songwriters and rock stars second. “Gypsy” is arguably the peak of Stevie Nicks’s post-'70s output, a beautiful slice of pop that boasts one of Lindsey Buckingham’s greatest guitar solos.

6. "I Don’t Want to Know"

Though Stevie Nicks’s songs tend to lean toward the moody and mysterious, she took an uncharacteristic turn toward jaunty folk pop for “I Don’t Want to Know,” giving us the most fun song off Rumours and the catchiest melody of any Fleetwood Mac song. There was even a Saturday Night Live sketch about how irresistibly fun this song is — even better, the sketch was from 2013, proving that the song is timeless.

7. "I Know I’m Not Wrong"

Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk is one of the most singular and unique albums of the '70s, if only for the experimental contributions of Lindsey Buckingham, who employed lo-fi, punk-influenced recording techniques for many of his songs on the album, such as “I Know I’m Not Wrong.” As experimental and raw and Buckingham got, however, he never forgot that these are pop songs, and “I Know I’m Not Wrong” is one of the best he ever wrote.

8. "Landslide"

It is hard to believe that a song as ubiquitous as “Landslide” was never released as a single, but that is just a testament to how overwhelmingly beautiful it is. Few things in art are objective, but this is an objectively gorgeous song, in no small part due to Stevie Nicks’s magnificent melodies and Lindsey Buckingham’s heavenly guitar arrangement, particularly his sepia-toned country solo in the middle.

9. "Rhiannon"

“Rhiannon” was the first Fleetwood Mac single written by Stevie Nicks, and served as the world’s introduction to one of pop’s darkest and most mysterious voices. Lindsey Buckingham’s opening guitar figure is still among the most striking and distinctive to have ever graced a pop song, and arguably served as a distant precursor to the post-punk/gothic rock scene of the early '80s.

10. "Tusk"

There are 20 songs on Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk, nearly all of them more accessible and traditionally pop than the title track, and yet the title track is what was ultimately chosen to be the album’s lead single, which goes to show how invincible Lindsey Buckingham felt in 1979. There is nothing else that sounds like “Tusk”: It was recorded live with a marching band in an empty stadium, and somehow sounds equally influenced by Middle Eastern, African and Eastern European music, with pretty much none of the blues, pop, folk or country traits the band was previously known for.

What are your favorite Fleetwood Mac songs? Let us know down in the comments section.

teedeerocks 01-01-2015 04:11 AM

I often times wonder if they wonder if they made the right choice. I mean when you're in your 20's and somewhat poor,the thought of being in a rock band sounds so glamourous.I know Stevie has said that she wouldn't change a thing but I'm not sure I totally believe her....

nicole21290 01-01-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedeerocks (Post 1157067)
I often times wonder if they wonder if they made the right choice. I mean when you're in your 20's and somewhat poor,the thought of being in a rock band sounds so glamourous.I know Stevie has said that she wouldn't change a thing but I'm not sure I totally believe her....

Well, the intention wasn't necessarily to become a BIG part of a BIG BIG BIG band in quite the way they did. It had positives and negatives for them, I think. Before "creepy fame crept in and ruined things" some things were a little simpler, lol.

-

"And there are times I wonder what would have happened if, say Stevie and I had continued on whatever path we were on, with that little cult thing going on down South." [Lindsey]

-

"Buckingham/Nicks had to bite the bullet for Fleetwood Mac, That’s a choice. We’ll never quite know exactly what would have happened if we had gone the other way… And of course, that’s the thing that Lindsey probably gets the most upset about in his heart sometimes ~ he wonders what would have happened if it had just been the two of us. … Which is not to say we don’t love Fleetwood Mac. We do. But it would have been a whole other life. Destiny would have just knocked it a whole other way." [Stevie]

-

"As long as it was a trio, it had to stay that way, as it should have,” Stevie explains. “But because Chris left, this was our only choice. And then after we started, Lindsey and I began to realize that this is why we came here in the first place. So really it’s a long way to go to come around to the beginning.”

“Yes, it’s all been an elaborate waiting game,” Lindsey adds in with a laugh. [Stevie + Lindsey]

-

"To be honest, I felt that Lindsey and I were stunning… . It was a rush, like we were being thrown back into a style of singing that was so great, that we loved, from long ago… We stopped being a duo the day we joined Fleetwood Mac. And that was great, but it was different. In the end, Christine even knew it… We always wanted to sing by ourselves, and in some ways this album is very reminiscent of that time."

'We were joking that we had to hold out 25 years to do what we really wanted to do,' he says, explaining that his one regret is they didn't collaborate in the writing. 'I want to hear what would happen if we were to go in and start working from the ground up.'" [Stevie + Lindsey]

-

I: She said this about you - first of all that she loves you to death and that you're the best of friends, and she's so happy for you and your family and wife, and she couldn't be happier. But she said this. She said that if you guys had not left San Francisco and moved to Los Angeles that you would still be together, more than likely married, but that you would still be successful. How do you feel about that?
LB: Well, that's a nice thought. I, you know, it's so hard to second guess events that have transpired and what a different road would have meant.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/adc131c4c...8si8o6_250.gif http://33.media.tumblr.com/d32c2ff57...8si8o5_250.gif
http://31.media.tumblr.com/463b2773f...8si8o4_250.gif http://33.media.tumblr.com/a63e1eab3...8si8o3_250.gif
http://33.media.tumblr.com/dbf86fe67...8si8o2_250.gif http://38.media.tumblr.com/e2f050023...8si8o1_250.gif

And a 'replay' of that idea just last year, which is even better because you get Stevie's reaction... http://buckinghamnicks-ff.tumblr.com...sey-proving-he

Macfanforever 01-02-2015 12:35 AM

I was thinking today what was going through Stevie's and Lindsey's heads as they sit on this new years day in 1975 in celebration of Buckingham/Nicks merged with Fleetwood Mac.

michelej1 02-27-2015 08:03 PM

[Bustle's summary is less than accurate]

Lindsay Denninger for Bustle, 2/25/2015

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/ne...te=1&p=1128870

Everyone knows Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham as two fifths of Fleetwood Mac, but they were once just called Buckingham/Nicks. Everything seemed great. Then they joined Fleetwood Mac, pretty much promptly began cheating on each other, and called it quits. Luckily, the songs that each respectively produced became Rumours, Fleetwood Mac’s best-selling album and arguably the greatest record of all time (I will fight you, OK?), but here’s the thing: They didn’t write those songs together. Nicks and Buckingham hated each other, and it was a while before they could even share the same stage.

SisterNightroad 03-15-2015 03:25 PM

10 Best Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks-Fleetwood Mac Songs
by Joey DeGroot Dec 31, 2014 12:28 PM

On Dec. 31, 1974 — 40 years ago today — guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and singer Stevie Nicks, who performed together at the time under the name Buckingham Nicks, joined British blues rock band Fleetwood Mac. Though the band had found great success in the British blues scene of the late 1960s and early '70s, the inclusion of Buckingham and Nicks to the line-up transformed Fleetwood Mac into the biggest pop band in the world. To celebrate this anniversary, here are the 10 best Fleetwood Mac songs written by Buckingham or Nicks, in alphabetical order.

1. "The Chain"
"The Chain" was the only Fleetwood Mac song to have been written by all five members of the Buckingham/Nicks-era band, but based on how incredible the song is, they should have collaborated more often. It is a perfect amalgam of everything that made this band great: Lindsey Buckingham's intricate guitar playing, Stevie Nicks's ethereal songwriting, Christine McVie's pop sensibilities and the impenetrable groove of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

2. "Dreams"
Stevie Nicks is an absolute genius of simplicity in songwriting, and no other Fleetwood Mac song demonstrates this better than "Dreams," the band's only No. 1 song in the U.S. The song comprises just two chords over and over for four minutes, but the way in which Nicks strings her melodies together makes each section of the song sound distinct.

3. "Gold Dust Woman"
How could you categorize “Gold Dust Woman”? It is a little bit folk, a little bit country and even a little bit gothic, as if Nico decided to start writing pop songs instead of musical nightmares. It is a sort of psychedelic/country hybrid that nobody — give or take Gram Parsons — had ever attempted before and has never attempted since, making this one of the most original pop songs ever written.

4. "Go Your Own Way"
“Go Your Own Way” is the definitive song from Rumours, the song that best represents the tone of the album: bitter and emotionally volatile, yet presented in a sleek, catchy and accessible package. It was the beginning of Lindsey Buckingham’s signature fury that would bring his music so much of an edge, and which he would more perversely explore two years later on Tusk.

5. "Gypsy"
Though Fleetwood Mac’s music took a bit of a dive during the '80s, they were still able to adapt to the decade much better than most of their '60s and '70s contemporaries, largely due to the fact that Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and Chrstine McVie were first pop songwriters and rock stars second. “Gypsy” is arguably the peak of Stevie Nicks’s post-'70s output, a beautiful slice of pop that boasts one of Lindsey Buckingham’s greatest guitar solos.

6. "I Don’t Want to Know"
Though Stevie Nicks’s songs tend to lean toward the moody and mysterious, she took an uncharacteristic turn toward jaunty folk pop for “I Don’t Want to Know,” giving us the most fun song off Rumours and the catchiest melody of any Fleetwood Mac song. There was even a Saturday Night Live sketch about how irresistibly fun this song is — even better, the sketch was from 2013, proving that the song is timeless.

7. "I Know I’m Not Wrong"
Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk is one of the most singular and unique albums of the '70s, if only for the experimental contributions of Lindsey Buckingham, who employed lo-fi, punk-influenced recording techniques for many of his songs on the album, such as “I Know I’m Not Wrong.” As experimental and raw and Buckingham got, however, he never forgot that these are pop songs, and “I Know I’m Not Wrong” is one of the best he ever wrote.

8. "Landslide"
It is hard to believe that a song as ubiquitous as “Landslide” was never released as a single, but that is just a testament to how overwhelmingly beautiful it is. Few things in art are objective, but this is an objectively gorgeous song, in no small part due to Stevie Nicks’s magnificent melodies and Lindsey Buckingham’s heavenly guitar arrangement, particularly his sepia-toned country solo in the middle.

9. "Rhiannon"
“Rhiannon” was the first Fleetwood Mac single written by Stevie Nicks, and served as the world’s introduction to one of pop’s darkest and most mysterious voices. Lindsey Buckingham’s opening guitar figure is still among the most striking and distinctive to have ever graced a pop song, and arguably served as a distant precursor to the post-punk/gothic rock scene of the early '80s.

10. "Tusk"
There are 20 songs on Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk, nearly all of them more accessible and traditionally pop than the title track, and yet the title track is what was ultimately chosen to be the album’s lead single, which goes to show how invincible Lindsey Buckingham felt in 1979. There is nothing else that sounds like “Tusk”: It was recorded live with a marching band in an empty stadium, and somehow sounds equally influenced by Middle Eastern, African and Eastern European music, with pretty much none of the blues, pop, folk or country traits the band was previously known for.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/2...-mac-songs.htm

jbrownsjr 03-16-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1161879)
[Bustle's summary is less than accurate]

Lindsay Denninger for Bustle, 2/25/2015

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/ne...te=1&p=1128870

Everyone knows Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham as two fifths of Fleetwood Mac, but they were once just called Buckingham/Nicks. Everything seemed great. Then they joined Fleetwood Mac, pretty much promptly began cheating on each other, and called it quits. Luckily, the songs that each respectively produced became Rumours, Fleetwood Mac’s best-selling album and arguably the greatest record of all time (I will fight you, OK?), but here’s the thing: They didn’t write those songs together. Nicks and Buckingham hated each other, and it was a while before they could even share the same stage.

Not much has changed.