The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why was it verboten to called BuckVie Fleetwood Mac? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57757)

secret love 04-08-2018 10:00 PM

Why was it verboten to called BuckVie Fleetwood Mac?

Why was it forbidden to called Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie "Fleetwood Mac", or "Buckingham McVie" for that matter?

Trying to spare Stevie's feelings?
Knew they couldn't tour with Mick and John under the Lindsey/Christine moniker?

Does anyone here NOT consider this the swansong Fleetwood Mac album?

Frankenstein 04-08-2018 11:30 PM

Yes to all of the above.

I’m not sure if I consider it the swan song album or not. I guess since there will never be an album with the 5, it’s the closest thing we’ll ever have.

sodascouts 04-09-2018 06:31 AM

Calling it Fleetwood Mac would damage the brand in terms of marketing, because it would disappoint a lot of people who were expecting Stevie Nicks to be on it. Thus, fewer people would come to shows. I think that was the rationale.

It's about the brand, not the band.

Honestly, though, I didn't want an album without Stevie to be put out as a Fleetwood Mac album either. Now I don't know what to think.

SteveMacD 04-10-2018 12:24 AM

It was a dumb move that I suspect was driven by management. So it would have disappointed people and put Stevie in the hot seat. It would also have shown the world that no one member is above the band. A Stevie-less Fleetwood Mac co-headline tour with, say, Heart, would probably have been as successful as Stevie’s tour with The Pretenders.

bombaysaffires 04-10-2018 12:26 AM

Because you can tour without Lindsey (or Christine as well) and still call it FM, but you can't record without Stevie and still call it FM. I'd dare them to tour without her and call it FM as well.

BombaySapphire3 04-10-2018 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1222148)
Because you can tour without Lindsey (or Christine as well) and still call it FM, but you can't record without Stevie and still call it FM. I'd dare them to tour without her and call it FM as well.

They did and ended up touring in an oldies show in 1995 sandwiched between has beens Pat Benatar and Reo Speedwagon for 15 bucks a ticket.

SteveMacD 04-10-2018 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1222153)
They did and ended up touring in an oldies show in 1995 sandwiched between has beens Pat Benatar and Reo Speedwagon for 15 bucks a ticket.

Yes, because touring with zero vocalists from the classic lineup is the same thing as touring with 2/3 of the vocalists from the classic lineup (one of whom having the lion’s share of the band’s hit singles). Absolutely the same thing :rolleyes:

SteveMacD 04-10-2018 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1222148)

They should have.

SisterNightroad 04-10-2018 03:04 AM

Probably because of some technical contractual obligation you can't call Fleetwood Mac an output that doesn't feature part of the actual band formation.

Macfan4life 04-10-2018 05:25 AM

IMHO you are not an active band member if you refuse to make music with or record with your band. Can you imagine a football player who refuses to practice with the team or play games but says I will be there for the Super Bowl or World Cup.
They treat Stevie different and its because of her lure. She gets asses in the seats. Its wrong but its just reality.
Buckingham/McVie was supposed to be a Fleetwood Mac album. When Stevie refused, Lindsey and Christine went forward and even Mick and John play on it. It has ALL Fleetwood Mac musicians playing on it and 2/3 of vocalists. Of course its Fleetwood Mac. Its silly to say otherwise.

BombaySapphire3 04-10-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1222155)
Yes, because touring with zero vocalists from the classic lineup is the same thing as touring with 2/3 of the vocalists from the classic lineup (one of whom having the lion’s share of the band’s hit singles). Absolutely the same thing :rolleyes:

It was still called Fleetwood Mac wasn't it?:rolleyes:

SteveMacD 04-10-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1222204)
It was still called Fleetwood Mac wasn't it?:rolleyes:

Ummm…Huh? :shrug:

TimeCastASpell 04-10-2018 07:09 PM

Honestly if they had called it FM, they would've had to sing all of their same old same old instead of the focus there was on the new material. And I was darn grateful for the new material (even as one of the Stevie leaning FM fans). At this point calling a tour FM means nothing new or nothing even a bit different, same old songs.

Hope that didn't come off as snarky as it maybe sounded. I know that's a huge complaint most of us share. So I'm sort of joking but sort of serious- calling it FM would've made them have to stick to the old stuff (for whatever reason but that's obviously a pattern).

SteveMacD 04-10-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell (Post 1222364)
Honestly if they had called it FM, they would've had to sing all of their same old same old instead of the focus there was on the new material. And I was darn grateful for the new material (even as one of the Stevie leaning FM fans). At this point calling a tour FM means nothing new or nothing even a bit different, same old songs.

Hope that didn't come off as snarky as it maybe sounded. I know that's a huge complaint most of us share. So I'm sort of joking but sort of serious- calling it FM would've made them have to stick to the old stuff (for whatever reason but that's obviously a pattern).

Not necessarily. Without Stevie, they would have had more space in the set for new stuff. Yeah, they would have had to do a few more classics, but their set was a little short by FM standards. Here’s what I think it would have looked like…

On With The Show
The Chain
Say You Love Me
Eyes of the World
Everywhere
Trouble
Isn’t It Midnight
I’m So Afraid
Feel About You
In My World
Red Sun
Too Far Gone
Big Love
Love Is Here To Stay
Little Lies
Carnival Begin
Tusk
Hold Me
Sleeping Around The Corner
You Make Loving Fun
Go Your Own Way
-
Lay Down For Free
World Turning
Don’t Stop
-
Game Of Pretend

elle 04-10-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1222177)
Probably because of some technical contractual obligation you can't call Fleetwood Mac an output that doesn't feature part of the actual band formation.

hahahahahaha you do realize that math does not add up (exhibit 1: SYW).

maybe that same imaginary contractual obligation will now help Lindsey get the Don Felder kind of settlement. he should sue the pants out of them, considering how much into $$$$$$ dear Mick seems to be.