The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   1968 Chicken Shack video (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52276)

ejb1969 06-30-2013 08:19 AM

1968 Chicken Shack video

I found this last night and thought I'd share. It's Chicken Shack's cover of an old Freddie King song. The footage is mostly of Stan, but there are some good shots of Christine. I don't think I have seen an earlier performance--especially in color!

http://youtu.be/DtoKnQROnmU

macfan 57 06-30-2013 09:49 AM

Wow!

As far as I know, this is the earliest live footage of Christine, and such good quality, too.

Thanks so much!!

aleuzzi 06-30-2013 10:41 AM

Holy Crap! Awesome visual and sound quality. And the version they do here is better than the album version. I prefer Christine's "medium cool" organ over the piano (at least on this track) and Stan's voice is toned down a bit.

michelej1 06-30-2013 01:15 PM

And in color too. With her red top and lavender scarf. It's like the past is alive.

Michele

jbrownsjr 06-30-2013 07:20 PM

Wow!!!! I love how much more active her keys are in Chicken Shack... So much more reserved in FMac.. Especially as the Rumours line-up emerged... :)

jbrownsjr 06-30-2013 07:22 PM

Thank you so much for posting EJB!!!

aleuzzi 06-30-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1097491)
Wow!!!! I love how much more active her keys are in Chicken Shack... So much more reserved in FMac.. Especially as the Rumours line-up emerged... :)

I was noticing this, too. In the Mac she was determined to be a rhythm player, to root her playing through the bass and drums. In this clip, and on several tracks from the first two CS records, she is much more out front, playing more aggressively, but with taste.

SteveMacD 07-01-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1097504)
I was noticing this, too. In the Mac she was determined to be a rhythm player, to root her playing through the bass and drums. In this clip, and on several tracks from the first two CS records, she is much more out front, playing more aggressively, but with taste.

Same goes for her session work Fleetwood Mac in those days, especially on Mr. Wonderful.

aleuzzi 07-01-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1097531)
Same goes for her session work Fleetwood Mac in those days, especially on Mr. Wonderful.

The piano on Rollin' Man, Love that Burns, and Lazy Poker Blues is incredible.

nicepace 07-05-2013 11:29 AM

Wonderful footage! Superb picture quality, too.

Chris_Lover 07-18-2013 03:34 PM

This is wonderful! She was just 25 years old here, but elegant and charming as ever..and in color too! :woohoo:

jbrownsjr 07-18-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Lover (Post 1098945)
This is wonderful! She was just 25 years old here, but elegant and charming as ever..and in color too! :woohoo:

I loved the fact it was in color!!

Chris_Lover 07-22-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1098957)
I loved the fact it was in color!!

So you can admire her lovely complexion and her beautiful and soft golden hair!http://emoticonhq.com/images/ICQ/love.jpg

lazy poker 10-17-2016 09:19 AM

i'd just been watching another chicken shack live video, which made me reply to this old thread.

vintage shack footage is truly few and far between, especially from the days with christine. for those who don't know it: this one is said to be from april '69 (recording and/or broadcasting), probably in paris, and it's pro-shot in b&w with great picture and sound for that age. the fact that dave bidwell's drums are placed behind the kit from power trio "the gun" implies that chicken shack were opening for them that night. (but they're greeted by the audience with enthusiastic applause anyway.)

i'd already read ages ago (i was too young to ever see them in person) that way more than the records displayed it was stan webb's show first and foremost. but here it was his show ONLY - not one song featured christine on vocals, the poor girl wasn't even allowed one single solo, can you imagine that?! so the shortcomings of stan's vocal and guitar mannerisms are unnerving upfront. though this may not be too surprising - with christine being such a great blues pianist and andy silvester / dave bidwell hardly coming up second behind fleetwood and mcvie as a top notch rhythm section in that musical vein, stan webb was definitely doing himself a disservice with his ego.

what i'd like to know from people who personally saw them in concert: have you experienced similar circumstances? seems like christine would've only got permissioned a slice of the spotlight at all if stan needed a breather or a pint. any replies are warmly welcome!

but to end on a high note concerning said footage: to see moving pictures of christine in those days and to hear her great blues piano playing in a live setting (thank god she's pretty prominent in the sound picture here and in principle soloing all over the place) is a rare thing and absolutely rewarding, regardless!

p.s. the setlist of that show:
(unknown first song)
lonesome whistle blues
night life
worried about my woman
hideaway

aleuzzi 10-17-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy poker (Post 1193944)
i'd just been watching another chicken shack live video, which made me reply to this old thread.

vintage shack footage is truly few and far between, especially from the days with christine. for those who don't know it: this one is said to be from april '69 (recording and/or broadcasting), probably in paris, and it's pro-shot in b&w with great picture and sound for that age. the fact that dave bidwell's drums are placed behind the kit from power trio "the gun" implies that chicken shack were opening for them that night. (but they're greeted by the audience with enthusiastic applause anyway.)

i'd already read ages ago (i was too young to ever see them in person) that way more than the records displayed it was stan webb's show first and foremost. but here it was his show ONLY - not one song featured christine on vocals, the poor girl wasn't even allowed one single solo, can you imagine that?! so the shortcomings of stan's vocal and guitar mannerisms are unnerving upfront. though this may not be too surprising - with christine being such a great blues pianist and andy silvester / dave bidwell hardly coming up second behind fleetwood and mcvie as a top notch rhythm section in that musical vein, stan webb was definitely doing himself a disservice with his ego.

what i'd like to know from people who personally saw them in concert: have you experienced similar circumstances? seems like christine would've only got permissioned a slice of the spotlight at all if stan needed a breather or a pint. any replies are warmly welcome!

but to end on a high note concerning said footage: to see moving pictures of christine in those days and to hear her great blues piano playing in a live setting (thank god she's pretty prominent in the sound picture here and in principle soloing all over the place) is a rare thing and absolutely rewarding, regardless!

p.s. the setlist of that show:
(unknown first song)
lonesome whistle blues
night life
worried about my woman
hideaway

She was hired as a sideman. Her own vocal ability was kind of an after thought until fans and the press began remarking how incredible she sounded. Stan was, by all accounts, an entertaining guitarist, but his work has not aged well and much of it seems shallow and silly alongside Clapton, Green, and Kirwan's. Without Christine, The Chicken Shack were mediocre. Even in the clip above, Christine's organ is one of the most accomplished aspects of the music. She doesn't over play, but what she plays is rhythmically and harmonically interesting. The bass and drums are unexceptional.