The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What is Karen Carpenter’s best vocal performance? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59023)

Jondalar 09-10-2020 10:00 AM

What is Karen Carpenter’s best vocal performance?

What is Karen Carpenter’s best vocal performance?

There are too many songs to choose from but only had 10 spaces.

FuzzyPlum 09-10-2020 01:04 PM

Voted for Superstar.
However, if I'd had the option I'd go for I Wont Last a Day Without You or Goodbye to Love.

Jondalar 09-10-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1259909)
Voted for Superstar.
However, if I'd had the option I'd go for I Wont Last a Day Without You or Goodbye to Love.

Sorry about that. They had soo many hits. I wish I could redo the poll and get rid of a couple of my pics.

I almost picked Superstar, but choose Rainy Days instead because of the straightforward purity. I do believe Superstar tugs on the heartstrings more.

FuzzyPlum 09-11-2020 01:03 PM

I don't know whether I'd consider it one of her best vocals, but I also have a really soft spot for Calling Occupants of...

Villavic 09-11-2020 07:18 PM

I think this is the wrong poll. I mean, I feel it's impossible to choose a best performance. There are so many. So, maybe it would be easier to find a bad performance. Not that easy, of course, since she was a great performer. But probably there is one, hidden among so many great works.

I read her solo album was not good. Critics mentioned it was recorded with a wrong vocal range for Karen. So maybe the worst performance could be within that album, though I've never listened it.

Jondalar 09-11-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1259947)
I think this is the wrong poll. I mean, I feel it's impossible to choose a best performance. There are so many. So, maybe it would be easier to find a bad performance. Not that easy, of course, since she was a great performer. But probably there is one, hidden among so many great works.

I read her solo album was not good. Critics mentioned it was recorded with a wrong vocal range for Karen. So maybe the worst performance could be within that album, though I've never listened it.

I didn’t like her version of Don’t Cry For Me Argentina. I think the song didn’t quite fit with her voice which is better at the lower register. But yeah, she gave one perfect performance after another.

Villavic 11-11-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1259949)
I didn’t like her version of Don’t Cry For Me Argentina. I think the song didn’t quite fit with her voice which is better at the lower register. But yeah, she gave one perfect performance after another.

Didn't like her "I'll never fall in love again" version. But not because just her performance but arrangements, the whole final product.

Jondalar 11-11-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1261915)
Didn't like her "I'll never fall in love again" version. But not because just her performance but arrangements, the whole final product.

Agree. Anne Murray had perfect arrangement and made that song a hit.

GypsySorcerer 11-12-2020 05:16 PM

I vote for "Rainy Days." The clarity and melancholy of her voice is perfectly suited for that song.

Villavic 11-20-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 1261943)
I vote for "Rainy Days." The clarity and melancholy of her voice is perfectly suited for that song.

I always listen Ticket to Ride next to Rainy Days. Kind of a perfect couple of songs to me.