The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The origins of "Take A Little Time". (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=11773)

face of glass 09-26-2003 11:16 AM

The origins of "Take A Little Time".

Since BuckinghamNicks.net still has this one posted, I guess it should be discussed. It seems to me it hasn't been talked about before.

I don't know which bootleg originally had this song, if it had only Tusk-related songs on it or whatever. But to me this sounds like it comes from the Mirage sessions. If Tusk was Lindsey fighting against the classic rock sound of Rumours, then it would seem natural to me that he wouldn't use the things that made his work on Rumours a success, such as the screaming leads and volume pedals. That includes fingerpicking pieces too. I'm sure he didn't want to do another "Never Going Back Again", so he downplayed some of his abilities on Tusk intentionally. However, with Mirage it seems to fit, since the fingerpicking returned by then (on "Goodbye Angel" especially). The tone that he's using on "Take A Little Time" reminds me of "Cool Water", although isn't completely alike.

I like this little piece a lot though. :)

chiliD 09-26-2003 11:36 AM

It is WELL before Mirage. I think it is either a Tusk or Law & Order era tune.

My evidence: There's a riff in the song that sounds like it is either the germ of, or taken from "That's How We Do It in LA".

It's just too bad the recording quality of this tune isn't up to par.

David 09-26-2003 12:39 PM

Re: The origins of "Take A Little Time".

Quote:

Originally posted by face of glass
I don't know which bootleg originally had this song, if it had only Tusk-related songs on it or whatever. But to me this sounds like it comes from the Mirage sessions.
It originally surfaced about five years ago on a three-CD boot collection from Maureen Loftus called "Missing Links."

I have an extremely strong feeling that a much better quality copy of it will surface in the future.

I agree with ChiliD about its being the germ for what became "That's How We Do It in L.A." -- when I first heard it five yrs ago, the identical guitar passage jumped out at me, although it was probably recorded during the "Tusk" years; "I'll Tell You Now" is another "Law & Order" tune originally conceived during the Tusk years. "Missing Links" also contained the germ of what became "Walk a Thin Line," & I think that's better than the finished product.

Johnny Stew 09-26-2003 05:29 PM

Re: Re: The origins of "Take A Little Time".

Quote:

Originally posted by David
I have an extremely strong feeling that a much better quality copy of it will surface in the future.
I've heard a rumour that a couple of Lindsey's "work-in-progress" tunes will be included on the second discs of the expanded & remastered series.

sodascouts 09-26-2003 05:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: The origins of "Take A Little Time".

Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I've heard a rumour that a couple of Lindsey's "work-in-progress" tunes will be included on the second discs of the expanded & remastered series.
Ooh, really? How cool! I think I will wait a little longer to transcribe it, then. :)

DownOnRodeo 09-26-2003 06:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: The origins of "Take A Little Time".

Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Ahh..... It's all coming together now. :)

Cammie 09-29-2003 04:41 PM

" Take a Little Time!"... Lindsey!!!

:wavey: Ahhh...Yes! :cool:The Music of Lindsey
BucKINGham is all coming together for
his Fans...in a Wonderful Way! Skylark