The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What should have been......... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57946)

HomerMcvie 05-31-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 (Post 1229937)
I still am not sure what people get out of Carnival Begin...

The entire album has grown on me since it came out, but there are a couple songs that just make me scratch my head. Carnival is first on the list. Glad they got some of this out there though. Red Sun could've been a great live song in a full FM show. Alas...

Agreed. Everyone acts like Carnival is the second coming. I just don't get it. It's okay, but I FAR prefer her bubbly, pop gems on BV.

Storms123 05-31-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

The entire album has grown on me since it came out, but there are a couple songs that just make me scratch my head. Carnival is first on the list. Glad they got some of this out there though. Red Sun could've been a great live song in a full FM show. Alas...

Totally agree, Red Sun would be perfect with full FM. And listening to On with the Show breaks my heart now.
I also am a fan of SYW, most of the songs anyway.
Oh what could have been!!!

Kubrick2788 05-31-2018 10:32 PM

Syw

I hope history is kinder to SYW. I'd agree that it was the album that fit them at the time, their voices, their usual themes. Most of it is pretty great and I don't think an album coming from them now would be as good. There are SYW songs that could easily be jettisoned forever (Murrow/Silver Girl to name but two!), but it was a rather strong effort in the end. I wish they'd rotated some of the songs on that tour so more would've got live takes, but I'm glad I got to hear Destiny Rules before it was dropped. I skipped the BuckVie tour because I couldn't justify the expense when Christine's voice was getting dodgy...but I also don't think I missed much considering they were all on YouTube afterwards. Hoping for more music, but I'll always enjoy what we've got so far. BuckVie is a nice treat that I didn't expect but can pull off the shelf every once in a while or merge into a playlist with other newer things.

bombaysaffires 06-03-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

it's the chorus. gotta say I hate the intro. And really it's I'm So Afraid redux in most of it.....but that chorus, and then the ending. :nod:

Lola 06-03-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1230060)
it's the chorus. gotta say I hate the intro. And really it's I'm So Afraid redux in most of it.....but that chorus, and then the ending. :nod:

Carnival Begin is my favorite from this album. The ending is awesome. The song has a hypnotic feel to me. When she sings about 'a new merry go round' I think of 'your mood is like a circus wheel' (even if it's not a direct reference). The line 'summer turned into fall' reminds me of Stevie's Nightbird 'and the summer became the fall'.

StevieandChris 06-03-2018 02:50 PM

Carnival Begin gives me chills from the beginning to the end of the song. It is now one of my favorite Christine songs. It’s my favorite on BuckVie and I was disappointed she did not do it live. I love Too Far Gone and Red Sun too and it was great to hear those live.

BLY 07-24-2018 07:35 PM

Every time one of these Buckingham/ McVie tracks come on my random IPod mixes I just get so pissed that Stevie didn’t participate so this could be called a MAC album. The more I think about this crap that they had to spin this as a “duet” release is really a joke considering there is no duets on the album. It’s a classic Fleetwood Mac album with out Stevie. The only Buckingham/McVie duets I’m aware of is Wold Turning, Don’t Stop and Hold Me.

DownOnRodeo 07-24-2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabruns (Post 1229940)
Well, actually I would rather they did what Lindsey was suggesting and do a double album.

Wait, Lindsey was actually suggesting they do another double album?

:distress:

Now that might have been worth firing him for.

Not just from a financial standpoint, but even as a fan...

Think--if Tusk and SYW had each hypothetically been spread over two albums instead of crammed into double albums, we'd have FOUR albums to make polls about on here instead of just two. :blob2:

The man has a double album fetish.
There must have been one among those vinyls of his brother's that he got hooked on as a kid.

BLY 07-25-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1232993)
Every time one of these Buckingham/ McVie tracks come on my random IPod mixes I just get so pissed that Stevie didn’t participate so this could be called a MAC album. The more I think about this crap that they had to spin this as a “duet” release is really a joke considering there is no duets on the album. It’s a classic Fleetwood Mac album with out Stevie. The only Buckingham/McVie duets I’m aware of is Wold Turning, Don’t Stop and Hold Me.

Does anybody else feel this way?

AncientQueen 07-26-2018 03:34 AM

^^^I did not get the feeling of a duet album at all. I did not even miss Stevie, since her songs tend to be weak and Lindsey tries to save them with overproduction. I DID miss her spicing up the other's songs with some backing vocals, since her voice is by far the most interesting, espcially when used sparsly and in context with good songwriting.
As it is, it's a nice, good album of two people who know and respect each other deeply. Makes the betrayal all the worse.

HomerMcvie 07-26-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 1233068)
^^^I did not get the feeling of a duet album at all. I did not even miss Stevie, since her songs tend to be weak and Lindsey tries to save them with overproduction. I DID miss her spicing up the other's songs with some backing vocals, since her voice is by far the most interesting, espcially when used sparsly and in context with good songwriting.
As it is, it's a nice, good album of two people who know and respect each other deeply. Makes the betrayal all the worse.

I agree with all points. Although it wouldn't have killed her to have given them 2-3 songs, and let it have been a FM album. It would have sold much better, and been a very nice swan song for the band. But no....

$tevie Nick$ killed Fleetwood Mac.

secondhandchain 07-26-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1233083)
I agree with all points. Although it wouldn't have killed her to have given them 2-3 songs, and let it have been a FM album. It would have sold much better, and been a very nice swan song for the band. But no....

Right? 3 freaking songs you couldn't do? What an ingrate. You were so right all these years David and I apologize! Still like a lot of her music and I always will but man is she an intolerable s head.

aleuzzi 07-26-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 (Post 1229921)
I know I am in the minority, but I actually loved SYW and still enjoy it

I love it, too. It’s uneven but SUBSTANTIAL. I admire that. So even if (for me) only slightly more than half the songs are attractive, that’s still a great number. And the ones I don’t care for are still meaty in their own ways.

That said, I agree with Homer that the CM/LB collaboration is the best Mac album since Mirage.

aleuzzi 07-26-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1230060)

It has a similar style and mode of ISA but that’s it. To say they’re too similar is like saying Songbird and The Way I Feel are too similar: they’re very different songs written and performed in the same style.

sue 07-26-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1233083)

I ain’t no Stevie hater, tho I do care about the shi*e they dropped on Lyndsey
BUT
What you say is right....all she had to do was offer up 3 songs.
3 old ones, 3 new ??? and that’s that, job done.
If she is unable to write any new stuff, grab 3 from the cellar or whatever.

I still can’t understand why she didn’t do that..
I just don’t get it.
For what it’s worth I think BuckVie album is fine but would have been better with a couple of Stevie songs