The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Favorite Christine Lyric (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52898)

jbrownsjr 11-05-2013 10:50 AM

Favorite Christine Lyric

I was thinking of a great thread for this forum. Since Christine writes some great one liners. You can post tunes she didn't write, for example ,Calumny was written by Dan Perfect would be ok.

Here is one of mine:

Now I know how the sun must feel
Every time it shines

applebucked 11-05-2013 11:30 AM

Great idea! :thumbsup:

Here are a couple of mine

You make me feel, I just can't carry on
But I know I won't always be that way

She didn't write this, but...

I'm not your doctor, baby, I'm not your psychiatrist
But you keep comin' back again

seekerj 11-05-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1109990)
I was thinking of a great thread for this forum. Since Christine writes some great one liners.

"Great"? Nah. Talk about somebody not being Bob Dylan! I like the one Stevie gave her ... "and I can't walk away from you, baby, if I try"...

michelej1 11-05-2013 02:36 PM

I'll tell you, for some reason, Christine's simpler lyrics, combined with her voice, are the ones that get to me. I sing Over My Head and SYLM to myself on an almost daily basis. And for SYLM I think my favorite line is very bare, "you woo me until the sun comes up."

I don't know ... I think it's just lovely to imagine someone knowing they're being lied to and not saying anything, just commenting on what's going on on the surface, but keeping the betrayal inside.

The lyric is his lie and the song title is her hope or request that he say it and mean it. Anyway, I love that.

Dan's Northern Star has some great lyrics throughout. As one cohesive thing it can't be beat, but these lines stand out: I'm falling down inside myself.

Casting stone. Throwing bones.

Michele

jbrownsjr 11-05-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerj (Post 1110011)
"Great"? Nah. Talk about somebody not being Bob Dylan! I like the one Stevie gave her ... "and I can't walk away from you, baby, if I try"...

I do love that line. I know it's definitely subjective, and never have I thought of Christine as Bob Dylan, but she does have some great lyrics from time to time in my opinion.

applebucked 11-06-2013 11:40 AM

She isn't the most brilliant in the lyrics department by any stretch (and she would admit to this herself), but IMO the beauty in her lyrics lies in its simplicity. Combine that with her vocals which can take even the most pedestrian of words and make it mean something deep and you've got magic.

jbrownsjr 11-06-2013 02:15 PM

We both knew,
beyond the shadow of doubt.
What loving somebody,
was really all about!

GypsySorcerer 11-06-2013 07:08 PM

Well my heart will rise up with the morning sun, and the hurt I feel will simply melt away

If there's been a fool around, It's got to be me.

I may not mean everything, but I'm happy to have your love.

aleuzzi 11-06-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerj (Post 1110011)

Like this line, but it's ungrammatical. Typical Stevieism there.

The correct grammar would be either

"And I can't walk away from you, baby though I've tried"

Or

"And I couldn't walk away from you, baby if I tried."

My favorite Christine lyric moments. Hmmm....it's the beauty of her voice combined with those simple lyric sentiments that have power. On the page, those great lyric moments aren't as fabulous. But here are a few:

"They say I'm a silly girl / But I'm not a fool"

"If I were you, I would hold on tight / Even do wrong just to make it right. /
You treat him badly, and you better not. / you oughtta make the best of what you've got."

"There's no step for you to dance to / So slip your hand inside of my glove."

"What a wonderful night to be. / Stars must be my friends to shine for me."

nicepace 11-07-2013 12:05 PM

I think that Christine writes lyrics that are just right for the type of music she creates. You can always tell what she is talking about in her songs. She doesn't write fake "poetry" that leaves you scratching your head wondering what the meaning is -- something that Dylan is sometimes guilty of.

This is popular music we're talking about, not classical, opera, literature or poetry. If the lyrics evoke a feeling or an emotion, describe a situation, or tell a story, that is just what the music needs.

jbrownsjr 11-07-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1110164)
I think that Christine writes lyrics that are just right for the type of music she creates. You can always tell what she is talking about in her songs. She doesn't write fake "poetry" that leaves you scratching your head wondering what the meaning is -- something that Dylan is sometimes guilty of.

This is popular music we're talking about, not classical, opera, literature or poetry. If the lyrics evoke a feeling or an emotion, describe a situation, or tell a story, that is just what the music needs.

So what's your very fav??

HomerMcvie 11-07-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1110164)
She doesn't write fake "poetry" that leaves you scratching your head wondering what the meaning is -- something that Dylan is sometimes guilty of.

Would you say that to Stevie Nicks???;)

:lol::lol::lol:

nicepace 11-07-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1110179)
Would you say that to Stevie Nicks???

I decline to answer.

HomerMcvie 11-07-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1110181)
I decline to answer.

Well played....:lol:

Dear Stevie Nicks, you madame, are no Bob Dylan, and your lyrics are confusing!:lol:;)

jbrownsjr 11-07-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1110182)
Well played....:lol:

Dear Stevie Nicks, you madame, are no Bob Dylan, and your lyrics are confusing!:lol:;)

Quit obsessing on Le Nicks and post a fav lyric!!! ;)