The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2011 Inductees (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44793)

kak125 09-28-2010 09:44 AM

Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2011 Inductees

I could only get the list with pictures from Rolling Stone.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/28431/211349

found the list

The nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011 are Alice Cooper, Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, Chic, Neil Diamond, Donovan, Dr. John, J Geils Band, LL Cool J, Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, Tom Waits and Chuck Willis.

They were announced this morning at www.rockhall.com. Five will be chosen for induction.

To be eligible for nomination into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, an act must have released its first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. This year's nominees had to release their first single no later than 1985.

Ballots will be sent to more than 500 voters, who will select the artists to be inducted at the 26th Annual Induction Ceremony on March 14 at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City. It will be televised live on Fuse.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10271/...#ixzz10puab3B6

DefDumbandBlond 09-28-2010 10:34 PM

Yay Donna! :blob1::blob2:

jaycee 09-28-2010 11:07 PM

Meh. It's not that meaningful to be inducted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_an...Fame#Criticism). Several artists better than some that have been inducted have yet to be considered, if they ever will be (due to the importance of popularity).

Enchanted_Stevi 09-29-2010 09:33 PM

WHy is LL Cool J being inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fam?!?!?

Nikolaj 09-29-2010 11:03 PM

My guess is that Darlene Love will be the shoe-in, followed by Laura Nyro.
I doubt that Alice Cooper will make the cut. And wasn't 'Alice Cooper' initially a band, and not an individual? Do the original members get into the Hall of Fame, too? I don't think it will wind up being an issue, I'd be very surprised for Cooper to be inducted.
The others listed- who knows. Not too exciting, again.

Zombie 09-30-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj (Post 913033)
I doubt that Alice Cooper will make the cut. And wasn't 'Alice Cooper' initially a band, and not an individual? Do the original members get into the Hall of Fame, too? I don't think it will wind up being an issue, I'd be very surprised for Cooper to be inducted.

Quoi?

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...o/alicelol.gif

Alice Cooper is a legend - he's been hugely influential in hard rock and metal since the early 70s, and he's an all-around stand-up guy to boot. I don't see why it would be surprising for him to be inducted.

But yes - "Alice Cooper" was originally a full band. Furnier took the band name as his own in '75 and it's been his solo project since. He had 7 studio albums with the band, 4 of which went platinum while a 5th went gold. Of his 18 solo albums, quite a few went gold or platinum both in the US and abroad. So yeah...not seeing why someone that prolific, with that kind of influence and record sales, would be surprising.

But yay Tom Waits!

Nikolaj 09-30-2010 12:07 AM

^ I really didn't know.
I totally believe you- you're informed about his career, and I wasn't, until your message!
-I had no idea that he'd even recorded or performed at all in the past 20 years or had 18 solo cds. That is a ton. I'm happy you're pleased, and happy for him, and you seem right that his chances of making the cut are much likelier than I thought. I was uninformed and underestimated his career.

HomerMcvie 09-30-2010 12:11 AM

Until those FKRs add Bob Welch, under FM's addition, they can suck it!:mad:

:eek::lol:

Zombie 09-30-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj (Post 913043)
^ No kidding? I really didn't know.
I totally believe you- you're informed about his career, and I wasn't, until your message!
-I had no idea that he'd even recorded or performed in the past 20 years. I'm happy for you, and happy for him, and you seem right that his chances of making the cut are much likelier than I thought. I was uninformed and underestimated his career.

Haha, no worries - I wasn't yelling at you or anything, just wanted to offer a little info. But yeah - he's made an awesome career for himself. First album in 1969, most recent was in 2008, and he's got another one coming soon from what I hear. He'll be out on tour with Rob Zombie shortly, too.

Meowi 09-30-2010 12:54 AM

My vote goes to Alice Cooper.

iamnotafraid 09-30-2010 01:09 AM

I would like to cut out about half the groups already inducted.
It grows weaker every year. Jesse Camp will be included one
day. Who knows, maybe Stevie will induct him.

Nikolaj 09-30-2010 01:20 AM

Well, only 5 acts get inducted this year, is that new? The names announced today were the nominees, they're not inductees, as it seems that people think --not here on The Ledge.
I've been reading commentaries elsewhere today that indicate that many people think that all of today's nominees are going to be inducted.

iamnotafraid 09-30-2010 01:42 AM

^ I really don't see anybody on that list of nominees that I would put in
except maybe Neil Diamond and Bon Jovi. As I said the nominees get
weaker and weaker every year.

Compare the last few years of inductees with these guys:

Elvis Presley
Little Richard
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Roy Orbison
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin

As great as Fleetwood Mac is, do they even compare to
those on this short list?

Nikolaj 09-30-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 913054)

Elvis Presley
Little Richard
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Roy Orbison
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin

YES!~ I think Fleetwood Mac are much more interesting musically than Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Roy Orbinson combined. I mean no offense, but most rock music pre-1964 just hasn't held up, to my ears.
I guess 'rock and roll' started in the 50's, but the best of the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s rock - when it was good- now seems timeless, while much of the 1950's rock seems 'quaint'- to me. I think many people could quickly name 2o great songs from the 1960s on, by decade. I'd have a hard time of thinking of 10 good songs from the 1950s, but that means nothing, of course!

jaycee 10-01-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 913054)

Elvis Presley
Little Richard
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Roy Orbison
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj (Post 913058)
YES!~ I think Fleetwood Mac are much more interesting musically than Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Roy Orbinson combined. I mean no offense, but most rock music pre-1964 just hasn't held up, to my ears.
I guess 'rock and roll' started in the 50's, but the best of the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s rock - when it was good- now seems timeless, while much of the 1950's rock seems 'quaint'- to me. I think many people could quickly name 2o great songs from the 1960s on, by decade. I'd have a hard time of thinking of 10 good songs from the 1950s, but that means nothing, of course!

Indeed they do get weaker. Also, consider other influential greats that haven't been nominated, like The Moody Blues, The Mothers Of Invention, Jethro Tull, and Electric Light Orchestra, to name a few (in fairness, they're not strictly rock & roll bands, although that hasn't mattered in past inductions). The Hall Of Fame is a farce.
I'm with Nikolaj - looking at the first ~20 years of FM, they are up there, so far as I'm concerned.