The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DISCUSSION: Christine's songs from Mirage (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44882)

MacShadowsBall 10-10-2010 03:56 PM

DISCUSSION: Christine's songs from Mirage

Mirage has arrived! Here's the first discussion thread, focusing on Christine's songs from this oft-forgotten about album.

Songs up for discussions...
1. Love in Store
2. Only Over You
3. Hold Me
4. Wish You Were Here

Should "Hold Me" count as Christine or collaboration due to it being a duet w/Lindsey? :shrug:

HejiraNYC 10-10-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall (Post 914543)
Mirage has arrived! Here's the first discussion thread, focusing on Christine's songs from this oft-forgotten about album.

Songs up for discussions...
1. Love in Store
2. Only Over You
3. Hold Me
4. Wish You Were Here

Should "Hold Me" count as Christine or collaboration due to it being a duet w/Lindsey? :shrug:

Can we just forego the pretense and select "Hold Me" as the winner already? None of her other Mirage songs come even remotely close. In fact, with the exception of HM, I think this is her weakest batch of songs ever.

louielouie2000 10-10-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HejiraNYC (Post 914544)
with the exception of HM, I think this is her weakest batch of songs ever.

I tend to agree... though this being Christine, these set of songs are still very solid.

Love In Store: Blah. Just boring. It's a typical Christine foot-tapping melody, it's just kinda dull and lifeless.

Only Over You: I actually really like this song. I love how it abruptly starts with her vocal, right in the middle of the chorus. Kinda turning typical song formula on it's head. I think the harmonies on this one are very lush and beautiful as well.

Hold Me: Definitely one of the top Mac songs of all time. Whenever I hear this song, it instantly brightens my mood. It's so bubbly and foot tapping.

Wish You Were Here: Even though pretty much everything about this song is cliche, I still like it. It's beautiful to listen to. I especially enjoy the long outtro.

Dang... now I've gotta pull out Mirage for a listen! :D

MissLadyLoki 10-10-2010 04:37 PM

I gotta come out and say it: I don't like Mirage. Even though it does have a few great songs, they could keep the rest. I find it quite bland, but look on the bright side: that next year, Stevie gave us the awesomeness that is Wild Heart

1. Love in Store- I kinda like it. Fun, catchy, and made even better by Joan the Wench's 4th of July vid on YouTube (she puts up fireworks everytime the Brits appeared)
2. Only Over You- It reminds me of Mystified from Tango in the Night being slow and boring
3. Hold Me- One of Chris's best songs to date. Great harmonies with Lindsey and a music vid that makes me crack up (orry, but Stevie walking around a desert in heels, a red dress, and randomly lays down on a chaise lounge is kinda funny)
4. Wish You Were Here- Sorry, to me, this'll always be one of Pink Floyd's best songs, not for Christine

luckydimecaper 10-10-2010 05:23 PM

Love in Store - Love the chorus in this one, so sweet and catchy :)
Only Over You - I really really like this song. The whole sound of it is like a throwback to some of the Tusk songs. Especially 'Walk a Thin Line'.
Hold Me - Another great pop classic from Chris!
WYWH - Meh.

bluefox4000 10-10-2010 05:50 PM

Christine's songs on Mirage.

Love in Store-Fun catchy...just ok. It is rather stock Chris Right? Just ok.

Only Over You- This is a stinker. Just boring. It's a song that just sits there and goes nowhere. No Likey:D

Hold Me- Easily her best on the album. I love that she duets with Lindsey on this. They, to my ears, blend great. Fantastic Song.

Wish you were Here- It's cheesy soft and sappy.........I can't help like it though...:laugh: When the piano starts I can't help but think for half a second that Silver Springs has started.

I had to re-listen to these songs as i rarely RARELY spin Mirage. My least favorite Rumours era album.

Mick

tilthefirefades 10-10-2010 07:25 PM

This has become my favorite FM album, I can't believe no one else loves it :shocked:

Love in Store-One of my favorite songs!

Hold Me-Probably my favorite Chris song ever, just a beautiful song that was never done justice live.

Wish You Were Here-A pretty good song, nothing special though.

Only Over You- :confused:

michelej1 10-10-2010 08:38 PM

I actually like this batch of songs better than her Tusk showing. Of course, I like Hold Me best, as it is one of my favorite FM songs overall. I'd like to close my eyes, fall back and sink into its layers. But I don't think any of Christine's Mirage songs are bad. Also, as I've said many times, I listened to this album on vinyl and I loved the way her songs closed each side of the LP. Fittiing lullabyes each.

Michele

GypsySorcerer 10-10-2010 09:22 PM

While Christine is usually pleasant, this is my least favorite batch of songs from her.

Hold Me: My definite favorite. When that chorus hits, it's like a ray of sunshine.

Love in Store: Not bad, but :shrug:

Wish You Were Here: Schmaltz, but I love the long outro.

Only Over You: The only song of hers I truly despise. (Well, that and One More Night). The moment she begins with, "I'm out of my mind," I hit the skip button.

EnchantedKiwi 10-10-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HejiraNYC (Post 914544)
Can we just forego the pretense and select "Hold Me" as the winner already? None of her other Mirage songs come even remotely close. In fact, with the exception of HM, I think this is her weakest batch of songs ever.

Second that. :nod:

Kayli 10-10-2010 10:39 PM

My ears can hear "Hold Me" all day and night. I LOVE that song. The rest of her Mirage tracks are really pretty, however, if I had to vote on Christine's weakest material (that is for lack of a better word. I don't think any of her songs could be considered weak), I'd have to say "Wish You Were Here" and "Only Over You" would be it. "Love in Store" is totally fun. It doesn't hold a candle to "Hold Me" but it's awesome on its own.

holidayroad 10-11-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilthefirefades (Post 914565)
This has become my favorite FM album, I can't believe no one else loves it :shocked:

Love in Store-One of my favorite songs!

Hold Me-Probably my favorite Chris song ever, just a beautiful song that was never done justice live.

Wish You Were Here-A pretty good song, nothing special though.

Only Over You- :confused:

I love Mirage!!! It never gets enough credit! I enjoy all of Christine's songs on the album, even though 'Wish You Were Here' could have been shorter.

ryan4136 10-11-2010 09:29 PM

First I'll give a little Mirage run down before we break down these tunes.

A lot of lukewarm feelings towards this album so far, and probably justifiably so. When I hear Mirage, I sigh a little thinking about what could've been on this album. To me this always sounds like an album that was only 2/3 of the way done. But with the double album of tusk, and some solo work the artists were just running on empty for album quality material. Imagine if Tusk had been a single, or the solo albums had been pushed back what it would've sounded like. Imagine for a minute if in the tusk sessions they had to choose between a beautiful child and a storms, or LB put trouble on this album, or if Brown eyes got the bump to this album, or a little edge of seventeen? I hear the album and I hear some greatness, surrounded with average or leftover tunes.....very sad.

Love in store....to me this sounds a bit like a leftover song, generic in it's form. As an opener it gets your feet tapping, but it doesn't draw you in like any of the previous openers...even Over and Over (which I love) makes you say "What's going on with this album" Love in store doesn't make you think at all. With that said it has a decent sing a long quality. It fits better on the road than in the studio. I do find the backing vocals a solid add in, but this feels like a bare bones song that for FM is borderline filler.

Only Over You....I will say at first I really didn't like this song. I wondered how in the world this ever made the cut. I had to force myself to listen to this for a while. Then it was obvious and it makes much more sense. The dedication to Dennis Wilson cleared it all up. I'm not much of Dennis Wilson fan as a solo artist. But if you sit down and listen, OOY has a very similar tempo to many of his songs. It also has a brooding meloncholic feel, which is exactly what DW portrays in nearly every song. I don't know the DW catalog well enough to know if OOY is actually a response to one of his songs or not. It's clear that CM, and probably LB are attempting thier best DW impression, and they hit it pretty spot on. With all that said...I still really don't find it melodically attractive, but I find it a solid artistic attempt to pay homage.

Hold Me---probably nearly everyones favorite, not just for CM, but for the Mac on this album. Great upbeat song, one of the best duets you'll find in pop music. JM's bass in this song doesn't get the credit it deserves, the transitions seem flawless here. I'm always left wanting to press repeat, but I can't help but feeling that it could've used another verse...2 minutes of Hold Me, Hold Me etc.....I get it...I'll hold you.

Wish you were here.......2 things.....great outro........you already wrote songbird...why must we keep trying to write another one.

kokoro 10-12-2010 01:05 PM

Mirage is a pretty lukewarm album for me. I actually enjoy about four songs and kind of like three others. Hate is certainly a word I would never use for a Christine song, or really even dislike, but indifference is definitely a word to use. That's how I feel about most of Christine's songs on Mirage.

Love in Store: Really not a fan of this one. And I always hear her say "we got love in a store," which makes me think of buying love at a convenient store. :shrug:

Only Over You: I feel kind of like a jerk for saying it, but it's boring and unremarkable.

Hold Me: The only thing I like are the fabulous harmonies. But I'm glad this song exists, because the video? So utterly awesome. They all look so drop dead gorgeous in it!

Wish You Were Here: My favorite of this set. I love the piano (despite it starting off similar to Silver Springs) and those background ooo, ooo, ooos are really catchy.

chiliD 10-12-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan4136 (Post 914685)
......you already wrote songbird...why must we keep trying to write another one.

With that logic, she'd already written "Show Me A Smile"...why did she need to write "Songbird"? :shrug: