The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unearthed Live at the 1982 Us Festival Videos (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57147)

SisterNightroad 05-07-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209147)
The US Festival had a huge crowd but outside the crowd no one saw it. HBO was pumped into millions of homes around the world. You had Fleetwood Mac live in concert on your TV channel. This is what hooked me as a fan. The HBO show was so much more important than the US Festival. Bands did the US Festival for the money. The Mac was paid $200k (I believe) which was an outrageous amount of money back then for one show.
The HBO special was also broadcast on VHS tape, laser disc (gosh remember them), and regular TV channels in addition to be played on MTV. I taped the concert several times on different channels over the years. I also rented the concert at the local VHS rental place (before Blockbuster). I don't think you can compare the events for audiences that viewed them. So that is understandable Stevie did not wear a tambourine on her head and they were not partying so hard like they were at the US Festival.

Actually the Us festival was filmed and was to be viewed worldwide. The fact that it didn't happen is only because afterwards some of the other bands witheld their copyrights because of money, but most of the performances were filmed and the intention was for worldwide release. Part of the second edition was even broadcasted in the Soviet Union.

vivfox 05-07-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209147)
Bands did the US Festival for the money. The Mac was paid $200k (I believe) which was an outrageous amount of money back then for one show.

If my lousy memory serves me right, FM were paid 1M to perform there as the headliner. Articles at that time stressed how the night before they were performing in Florida and in order to get them to appear, a cool 1M was offered for them to play.

Also, I don't understand why you are pouncing on sisternightroad. She didn't say anything out of line to you and IMHO she deserves more respect from you.

dreamsunwind 05-07-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209135)
I'm confused by your post. I was not comparing the importance of the gigs. I was pointing out how different the HBO Chain is with Stevie and Lindsey staring eachother down. On this clip, Lindsey acts like Stevie does not even exist.
Relatively sober? I don't think so. I don't care what some link says. In these days almost every rock band played drunk and high on stage. We know that this time Mick and Stevie were losing control with their substance abuse. Stevie was so hot so she could mask it a bit more. I saw Stevie live on her solo tour only 1 year after this performance and she was so high she lost control of her performances some.
So I take any statement from her with a grain of salt claiming to be relatively sober at the US Festival. Yeah ok right ;)

chill a bit sis

BombaySapphire3 05-07-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1209149)
If my lousy memory serves me right, FM were paid 1M to perform there as the headliner. Articles at that time stressed how the night before they were performing in Florida and in order to get them to appear, a cool 1M was offered for them to play.

Also, I don't understand why you are pouncing on sisternightroad. She didn't say anything out of line to you and IMHO she deserves more respect from you.

I remember a million too and I think Stevie got half that the following year for the US Festival.

sodascouts 05-07-2017 06:43 PM

So excited to see "new" footage, even if it's not perfect. Awesome!

Macfan4life 05-07-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

What the? Pouncing on Sister? Disrespectful? For real?
I could say maybe there is something different in the translation but English is my primary language. I am curious though. How did I pounce on Sister? I did disagree with her statement that the US Festival was more important to the Mac than the HBO show. I completely disagree and I base that on viewers. People actually got tired of the Mac on HBO every other night and the concert was played like crazy for about 5 years after the show. The US Festival may have intended to be viewed but no one saw it. You cant compare it to the HBO concert.
Is that pouncing? "She deserves more respect from you" So silly and harsh. Does not everyone deserve the same amount of respect on this board?
To the other poster that said I was disrespectful is a bit odd.
We can have a disagreement, that's fine. But to say I am pouncing or disrespectful of anyone is way over the line IMHO.
So we cant disagree with a moderator?
Pretty sad if that is the case. I said nothing disrespectful in any way shape or form. I see no reason to "chill" (as one poster says) because I state my opinion.
What is next? No disagreements or contrary viewpoints? I sure hope not ;)
No one is expected to agree with me and I welcome those who don't. But I wont call someone names or disrespectful for doing it.
See some of you have brought me down to your third grade level ;)

HomerMcvie 05-07-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209155)

That will NEVER happen on this board! (Thank god!)

It's bludgeon, or be bludgeoned!!!! Now where's my 2 x 4? :lol:

Macfan4life 05-07-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1209157)

I'm not so sure.

BombaySapphire3 05-07-2017 08:02 PM

That is one of the things that I love about this board .People arguing over something that would be so obscure to most like whether the 35 year old Fleetwood Mac Us Festival show or the Fleetwood Mac Mirage show HBO special was more impactful .Where else is that is going to happen?:lol:

/

vivfox 05-07-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry. I screwed up and read the wrong post. You were not disrespectful to anyone. Hope u can forgive my blunder.:eek:

RockyRaccoon 05-07-2017 10:53 PM

The audio is screwed up on that video. I'm listening to it on headphones and the left speaker is completely silent. I checked to make sure it wasn't the headphones. They should re-upload it.

TheWildHeart67 05-08-2017 01:21 AM

I LOVE IT! 300,000 people. I'd rather see this than some cleaned-up edited release. They all are rocking!!!! Love Stevie hunching down on he stage at one point.

SisterNightroad 05-08-2017 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1209145)
One of the Rolling Stone reviews of one of their Rumours tour shows described her as staggering around the stage like a drunken sailor.

Yes, if I remember well it was the MSG concert review.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1209152)
I remember a million too and I think Stevie got half that the following year for the US Festival.

Fletwood Mac were paid 500'000 Dollars that in today's currency is 1 million and something.
David Bowie the for the following year was paid 1 Million, which in today's currency must be more than 2 Millions of Dollars.

Also Viv thanks for your chivalry, it's rare to see it these days, it's just that in these cases I usually prefer to act like a lady and let such things slide because either they weren't meant to offend or, if they were, they don't deserve to be answered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1209157)

Actually you'd better hope it won't ever come down to that because you'd all be finished, I'm pretty much a great bitch in person.

SisterNightroad 05-08-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

I could say maybe there is something different in the translation but English is my primary language. I am curious though. How did I pounce on Sister? I did disagree with her statement that the US Festival was more important to the Mac than the HBO show. I completely disagree and I base that on viewers. People actually got tired of the Mac on HBO every other night and the concert was played like crazy for about 5 years after the show. The US Festival may have intended to be viewed but no one saw it. You cant compare it to the HBO concert.
Is that pouncing? "She deserves more respect from you" So silly and harsh. Does not everyone deserve the same amount of respect on this board?
To the other poster that said I was disrespectful is a bit odd.
We can have a disagreement, that's fine. But to say I am pouncing or disrespectful of anyone is way over the line IMHO.
So we cant disagree with a moderator?
Pretty sad if that is the case. I said nothing disrespectful in any way shape or form. I see no reason to "chill" (as one poster says) because I state my opinion.
No one is expected to agree with me and I welcome those who don't. But I wont call someone names or disrespectful for doing it.
See some of you have brought me down to your third grade level ;)

Well, you post could have been read with an opinionated tone (at least in my mother language) but I don't think it deserves any further discussion, after all the written medium doesn't have a tone and it's easy to misinterpret things.

However returning to what I was trying to say, we (or at least I) were talking about the performance and what influenced it at the time, not a comparison between the hystorical importance of the Us festival and the HBO concert.
I was saying that at the time of the performance the band members, as other participants, were very unnerved by the prospect of performing before such a large crowd for such an important unprecedented event (remember that some have called it a second Woodstock) and with the prospect of world wide viewing. It's also interesting to remember that the organizer was Apple founder Steve Wozniac, who provided the best and most innovative technological solutions for that purpose. Before, during and right after the event they didn't know yet that the Us Festival wouldn't be released for years so that doesn't matter.

Macfan4life 05-08-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1209162)
I'm sorry. I screwed up and read the wrong post. You were not disrespectful to anyone. Hope u can forgive my blunder.:eek:

Apology accepted :)

Sometimes emails or posts have different mental contexts and tones to different people. Opinionated yes. Counter point yes. Disagreement yes. Disrespectful no.
The proper description is PASSIONATE.
I used to set my alarm for 2 am on a school night so I could sneak downstairs and turn on HBO and put my tape recorder against the TV to record the Mirage concert.

jbrownsjr 05-08-2017 02:01 PM

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN HERE!!

YOU'RE ALL GROUNDED. Except for Christine fans. You're just on probation.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

HomerMcvie 05-08-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1209176)
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN HERE!!

YOU'RE ALL GROUNDED. Except for Christine fans. You're just on probation.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN? You've been noticeably absent the past few days!:mad::mad::mad:

LB Freakazoid 05-08-2017 06:42 PM

Just watched the video... What a hot mess!! Hahaha

jbrownsjr 05-08-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1209183)
WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN? You've been noticeably absent the past few days!:mad::mad::mad:

Making a short film... and.... I went to Palm Springs.

Wdm6789 05-08-2017 08:10 PM

Well apparently it got deleted.

HomerMcvie 05-08-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1209186)
Making a short film... and.... I went to Palm Springs.

X rated, I hope!

jbrownsjr 05-08-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1209188)
X rated, I hope!

PG13.............. nobody wants to see me naked.. that's for sure... X days are over. lol

HomerMcvie 05-08-2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1209190)
PG13.............. nobody wants to see me naked.. that's for sure... X days are over. lol

Tell me about it. My last one was on VHS!!!:lol:

Nathan 05-09-2017 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209172)
I used to set my alarm for 2 am on a school night so I could sneak downstairs and turn on HBO and put my tape recorder against the TV to record the Mirage concert.

Whoa cool story

Macfan4life 05-09-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 1209199)
Whoa cool story

I was hypnotized and under a spell. That was the least of it. At age 13 I wrote a several page hand written letter to the HBO executives asking (really begging) them to re-air the Mirage concert again (after it had run its course of a month or so). Believe it or not, I received a very nice letter that was hand signed from their program director thanking me for the interest and noting how popular the concert was and it may air again. Sadly, HBO never aired the concert again and got out of the concert business. However, coicentently 2 months after my letter HBO decided to re-air the Stevie Nicks 1981 White Winged Dove concert. I believe this was to capitalize on her new Wild Heart album. But in the back of my mind, my letter came to mind. I was part happy but part frustrated. Hey guys, I may have raved about Stevie Nicks but its the wrong concert! I remember faking illness so I could skip school and watch the concert at 1pm on HBO. It was 1983 and we did not have a VCR for another year or so. So I had to get my drug anyway that I could if it involved skipping school,waking up at 2 am, or writing long letters to HBO.

24karatstevie 05-09-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1209219)
I was hypnotized and under a spell. That was the least of it. At age 13 I wrote a several page hand written letter to the HBO executives asking (really begging) them to re-air the Mirage concert again (after it had run its course of a month or so). Believe it or not, I received a very nice letter that was hand signed from their program director thanking me for the interest and noting how popular the concert was and it may air again. Sadly, HBO never aired the concert again and got out of the concert business. However, coicentently 2 months after my letter HBO decided to re-air the Stevie Nicks 1981 White Winged Dove concert. I believe this was to capitalize on her new Wild Heart album. But in the back of my mind, my letter came to mind. I was part happy but part frustrated. Hey guys, I may have raved about Stevie Nicks but its the wrong concert! I remember faking illness so I could skip school and watch the concert at 1pm on HBO. It was 1983 and we did not have a VCR for another year or so. So I had to get my drug anyway that I could if it involved skipping school,waking up at 2 am, or writing long letters to HBO.

This is awesome! Sounds like the dedication I would have had if I had been born back then. We definitely take our modern technologies for granted.

Wdm6789 05-10-2017 05:39 AM

Anyone have any idea as to why the video was deleted?

SisterNightroad 05-10-2017 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1209252)
Anyone have any idea as to why the video was deleted?

Probably copyright issues.
Had anyone downloaded it in the meantime?

Danielle 05-10-2017 08:04 AM

It's still on Vevo: https://www.vevo.com/watch/fleetwood...n/USSE91735504

The quality is a little better than the one that was on youtube anyway. I suggest downloading from there so you can keep a slightly better file.

jbrownsjr 05-10-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle (Post 1209266)
It's still on Vevo: https://www.vevo.com/watch/fleetwood...n/USSE91735504

The quality is a little better than the one that was on youtube anyway. I suggest downloading from there so you can keep a slightly better file.

thanks!!!!

David 05-21-2017 01:44 PM

Wicked cool! Thanks for posting!

DauphineMarie 06-19-2017 08:24 PM

Dreams - US Fest Live 1982!

This was just posted a short time ago... All I can say is they look like they're having lots of fun! :D

jbrownsjr 06-19-2017 08:38 PM

Wow, Stevie made it so hard to harmonize on the chorus... not so much vibrato, girl..

Christine actually is playing 2 parts on the keyboards... (I sure would love to see her to play keyboards again)

Lindsey's solo was kinda cool. Turn it up a bit.

Wdm6789 06-19-2017 09:13 PM

Great video. Although a few shots of John and Mick would have been nice. I hope we keep getting more US festival videos like this.

Netter75 06-19-2017 11:46 PM

Wow... We definitely know why this footage and audio hasn't been released until now. If Dreams and The Chain are any indication of the rest of the show they were NOT on their game that night. I'm gonna hope Christine's songs (YMLF, love in store, brown eyes, etc.) will come off better than the others.

Still I love being able to see this stuff. So much of the older Mac stuff is edited and tweaked to oblvivion, it's great to see live footage of them that is both professional and raw (warts and all).

At the very least I do like the energy they've all conveyed in these two performances. It must've been great to see that live at the time, even if the performances themselves aren't TECHNICALLY very good.

BLY 06-20-2017 04:02 AM

I remember at a very young age when I started seeing Fleetwood Mac I realized there was the Studio Band and the Live band two very different sounnds. Today that gap has shrunk.

ricohv 06-20-2017 03:43 PM

Well this is one way to make a pretty song not-so-pretty! :sorry:

ricohv 06-20-2017 03:49 PM

But Stevie looks great-1982 might be her best year looks-wise: 81 & 83 were good but there's something about 82 that just seems like shear Stevie-perfection! I know that sounds shallow, but I feel ok saying it since image has always been an important part of her allure.
*Ricoh*

dreamsunwind 06-20-2017 03:56 PM

God she looks soooo gorgeous....but that chorus. Yikes. I think Lindsey and Christine were at least trying, especially at the end of the second verse leading into the second chorus, but maybe Stevie was just really off her game or there was something wrong with the microphones but that did not sound right.

fleetwoodguy79 06-20-2017 07:23 PM

There is a video to The Chain released too? Where might one find that?? :blob2:

Is it only the right channel audio for anyone else on Dreams? Hmm.

EDIT: Found it! For anyone who hasn't seen it:
https://www.vevo.com/watch/fleetwood...n/USSE91735504