The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1976 Stage Backdrop (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=22756)

Somajoseph 09-27-2005 10:07 PM

1976 Stage Backdrop

I've read so many posts covering so many topics, does anyone just love the backdrop used for Mac's 1975-1976 tours? I love the full moon/tree used in the background, it was really dramatic, and perfect for Stevie's showcase, Rhiannon. Any thoughts?

David 09-28-2005 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somajoseph
I've read so many posts covering so many topics, does anyone just love the backdrop used for Mac's 1975-1976 tours? I love the full moon/tree used in the background, it was really dramatic, and perfect for Stevie's showcase, Rhiannon. Any thoughts?

I have wondered about this & posted about this a lot in the past. Nobody seems to have much good information about the backdrop, which I think most of us call the Autumn Moon backdrop.

The band seems to have used it throughout the 1975, 1976, 1977 & 1978 tours. Then they did something weird on the Tusk tour. They switched backdrops to a graphic-design rainbowy sort of thing in the U.S. in 1979, but started using a modified Autumn Moon backdrop in some parts of Europe (there are photos on the Web of shows in 1980 with it), & then back to the U.S. & just a big drape backdrop against which they put up some brilliant colored lights & silhouettes of Tony Todaro behind Mick during "Tusk"

Can anyone find those Web photos of the 1980 concerts with the modified Autumn Moon? When I first saw those, my jaw dropped.

ThePenguin 09-28-2005 02:06 PM

Quote:

I think i read somewhere that Chris designed that one. or am i imagining that?

-Lis

chiliD 09-28-2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

I think I read somewhere that they started using that backdrop around 1972 or so...they used it at both shows I saw during the Heroes Are Hard To Find tour in 1974, as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
...& then back to the U.S. & just a big drape backdrop against which they put up some brilliant colored lights & silhouettes of Tony Todaro behind Mick during "Tusk"

And, at a couple of shows, hid the USC marching band behind it, until they played "Tusk".

DavidMn 09-28-2005 02:10 PM

And I believe the last time they used it was the summer '78 tour right?

David 09-28-2005 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMn

No, read my post. There's a Web site with photos of a show in Europe in 1980 with the Autumn Moon (although it looks a little different from the old days).

Will someone PLEASE dig that up & post the URL? I need to copy-edit some exams.

chiliD 09-28-2005 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMn

As is. They altered it a bit for a 1980 tour leg...read David's post above.

EDIT: Well, David beat me to it himself. Great minds think alike, I guess. :shrug:

David 09-28-2005 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I think i read somewhere that Chris designed that one. or am i imagining that?

Lis, that never occurred to me that Christine was the one who may have designed it. But that makes perfect sense -- who better than Chris to design their backdrop?!

If that dang Q&A with her had ever run, we could have asked her about it.

DavidMn 09-28-2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
No, read my post. There's a Web site with photos of a show in Europe in 1980 with the Autumn Moon (although it looks a little different from the old days).

Will someone PLEASE dig that up & post the URL? I need to copy-edit some exams.

Oh ok. I missed that. I'd love to see pictures of that myself.

David 09-28-2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
EDIT: Well, David beat me to it himself. Great minds think alike, I guess. :shrug:

We're always on the same page -- even if we never find ourselves in the same Guitar Center at the same time!! :(

SteveMacD 09-28-2005 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
Great minds think alike

Yeah, but so do bargain shoppers.

chiliD 09-28-2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Yeah, but so do bargain shoppers.

Nope...one small difference:

"Great Minds" THINK alike..."Bargain Shoppers" ACT alike.

Somajoseph 09-28-2005 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I wish they would have used it for all of the Tusk Tour.
I saw 3 shows on that tour, the LA Forum on Dec 6th, 1979 and the last 2 shows at the Hollywood Bowl, and they didnt use it at either of those.

Joseph

Jyqm 09-28-2005 04:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info everyone. I wish they would have used it for all of the Tusk Tour.
I saw 3 shows on that tour, the LA Forum on Dec 6th, 1979 and the last 2 shows at the Hollywood Bowl, and they didnt use it at either of those.

Joseph

I think they were concerned because some fans complained that they weren't mixing up their sets enough...

chiliD 09-28-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

I saw 3 shows on that tour, the LA Forum on Dec 6th, 1979 and the last 2 shows at the Hollywood Bowl...

So, you were stalking me? :laugh: :lol: Those are the shows *I* was at, too.

Oops, no, wait, check that...I was at both the Dec 4th & 5th shows, not the 6th...the 5th being the only night of the 5 night Forum stand that the USC Marching Band showed up (and the only time I've seen John McVie just TOTALLY bored on stage...let out one of the biggest yawns I've ever seen anybody do, during "Dreams")

But, I was at both nights of the Hollywood Bowl. The final night was a crack up when Mick started into "Think About Me" before the other four were ready. Christine really gave it to him for that.